Cheesey
8 years ago
True....but it seems the Packers are content with a lot of regular season wins and not getting a great player that would put them over the top and into the super bowl. Aaron Rodgers isn't going to be around for many more years. If you want a CHAMPIONSHIP, you better be willing to give something up to get it.
Otherwise you better be happy with division champs and nothing more.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
8 years ago
The trade should be thought of like this assuming it was us:

GB gives up a late 6th for an early 7th.
GB gives up a 6th.
GB might get a 7th Comp pick in 2017

GB gives up 2.5M in cap space-costing us one moderate player next year

GB must open up a roster spot- probably cut Perillo- With league injuries piling and Perillo putting some decent stuff on tape, he may not clear waivers. If he does he goes to PS and someone else is cut lose- Pinkard is a few weeks away from us being able to sign him he had a WO w/ Jets a few weeks ago. Signing Davis might cost us Pinkard or perillo.

Davis is no where near as good a TE as R.Rodgers or Q, especially in this system.

Note: The problem w/ Rodgers' "development" is the QB, who has missed him several times. Rodgers was open at least 3 times in Denver where the ball didn't go to him and one target he was open and Rogers led him too much.

And now for the real cost: The guy is an opinionated tool. When he's unhappy he's got a subversive personality capable of sucking the lifeblood out of anyone near him. His "leadership" was instrumental in the 49ers collapse. If a grenade falls in the fox hole occupied by you and him; he wont leap out of the hole, he'll grab you and place you between himself and the grenade.

No way this trade was happens even if SF gave him to us for free.
Bigbyfan
8 years ago
I don't care about Vernon Davis.

I would have given the Browns whatever they wanted for Joe Thomas. If they asked for a 1st and Bakhtiari, I'd do it in a second. Even if you replaced Bak for a 2017 3rd round pick I'd hop on it. The dude has been among the best, if not the best LT in the league the moment he stepped on the field. He would give us the blindside anchor the Packers have been missing since Clifton in his prime and Thomas is still way better than that. I feel it would be safe to assume we wouldn't pick players as good as Thomas with the picks we'd have to give up.
blank
nerdmann
8 years ago

I don't care about Vernon Davis.

I would have given the Browns whatever they wanted for Joe Thomas. If they asked for a 1st and Bakhtiari, I'd do it in a second. Even if you replaced Bak for a 2017 3rd round pick I'd hop on it. The dude has been among the best, if not the best LT in the league the moment he stepped on the field. He would give us the blindside anchor the Packers have been missing since Clifton in his prime and Thomas is still way better than that. I feel it would be safe to assume we wouldn't pick players as good as Thomas with the picks we'd have to give up.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Aaron would still hold the ball for 8 seconds.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Barfarn
8 years ago
If we win SB it will not be because of AR, CM3, Peppers, etc.; it will be because of Bak, Linsley, Dix, Elliot, Lacy, D.Jones, Daniels, Randall, etc. Every team has its stars; it’s the quantity and quality of 1st contract studs that determines who’s good and who is not.

Just look at Seattle, with a bushel basket full of guys drafted by Schneider using TT’s work product; they were great. In 2 offseasons, they’ve fallen to mediocre because over the last 3 years Schneider drafting w/o knowledge of TT’s draftboard has much fewer 1st contract studs. And his big time trades and big time FA acquisitions, that got the fanbase all a flutter, caused this team to prematurely return to mediocrity.

Reminds me of a ditty I learned as a kid:
A peanut sat on a track
His heart was all a flutter
A train came speeding down the track
Toot! Toot! Peanut butter

Joe Thomas is a great player and man; but if Thomas is acquired for Bak and a #1 [not sure that he could-because some GMs are clueless] we lose one 1st contract stud and a high potent second 1st cont. stud, weakening the team for 2-4 years.

Now, if the football Gods guaranteed SB victory by acquiring Thomas; then weakening the team for 2-4 is an acceptable loss. But how many more points would we have scored in Denver if JT was at LT? The best way to win a SB is to be good every year, make it the final table of 12, and hope things click like in 2010 or last year for 2.95 games.

This is NE’s recipe, just like ours, Ted Thompson has been more successful at building a complete roster; the difference has been they’ve had Brady and we have Aaron Rodgers in playoffs.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
Sorry, but to argue that Bahktiari is anything other than one of the weakest links among our starters strikes me as overly optimistic.

The guy is average on his best days. And doesn't have that many best days.

I've stopped thinking about what GB O-line might do with this or that premium FA or this or that premium trade. It ain't happening while Ted Thompson is GM.

I'm going to limit my bitching about Ted Thompson and the OL to draft day and its aftermath.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
luigis
8 years ago
A 6th for Vernon Davis is a joke. A 6th and a 7th is also a joke. It's practically the same as having Davis for free.

I don't know what to think of Richard Rodgers, he has some good games and then he plays some games as if he were trying to get benched. You may not get open in every play, it's not easy, you can have a drop on a difficult to catch ball but there's absolutely no excuse for not completing your blocks.

Luis
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Sorry, but to argue that Bahktiari is anything other than one of the weakest links among our starters strikes me as overly optimistic.

The guy is average on his best days. And doesn't have that many best days.

I've stopped thinking about what GB O-line might do with this or that premium FA or this or that premium trade. It ain't happening while Ted Thompson is GM.

I'm going to limit my bitching about Ted Thompson and the OL to draft day and its aftermath.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

How many Premium Free Agents are out there? How many actually live up to even 50% of their contract? Hardly any.

How many Premium Trade's are out there? Also, when trading there is leverage at play here. If a team KNOWS we are short on a position, they are going to try to bend us over the barrel and be greedy. Right? That's negotiating. It is not as simply as Draft Pick X for Player Y. And I know you know this, but what you're griping about implies you are missing the variables upon variables that go into a trade. Does the player fit the scheme? There is just so much involved and even when a trade does happen, rarely does it benefit the recipient of the player.

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
Er, I wasn't griping about free agency or trades made/not made/make-able/not-makeable/available/not available. I was saying I wasn't going to do that anymore. I have no idea what trades/free agents are or aren't available on the OL anymore. I just don't care. It's no longer worth the effort to know.

I was:
1. Griping about David Bahktiari (or more precisely taking issue with an earlier post that claimed he was a valuable component of the team's success).
2. Announcing that I was likely to continue griping about TT's future drafts when they roll around (probably not surprising anyone). And do so in part because I do not consider Bahktiari good enough in either performance or potential to be the default starter.

How many Premium Free Agents are out there? How many actually live up to even 50% of their contract? Hardly any.

How many Premium Trade's are out there? Also, when trading there is leverage at play here. If a team KNOWS we are short on a position, they are going to try to bend us over the barrel and be greedy. Right? That's negotiating. It is not as simply as Draft Pick X for Player Y. And I know you know this, but what you're griping about implies you are missing the variables upon variables that go into a trade. Does the player fit the scheme? There is just so much involved and even when a trade does happen, rarely does it benefit the recipient of the player.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
sschind
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The headline on NFL.com regarding Joe Thomas read "Almost a Bronco" to me that says the teams were close to an agreement. What it sounds like is that the Browns said we want this and Denver said that's to much. That doesn't sound close to me. That doesn't sound like he was "Almost a Bronco"

So perhaps Ted had an idea of what the Browns would accept and simply didn't pursue it further. Some Packer fans act as if other teams will trade with the Packers just because its the Packers. As if it is some sort of privileged to do so. Some teams do have a history but most of the time trading comes down to two things. Will the other team give us what we want and could trading with that team come back and hurt us in the end (divisional or conference rival for example)

I agree that what the Broncos gave up for Davis was not a lot. Of course I really don't think the Broncos got a lot in return so it evens out. However, that is the kind of trade I wouldn't mind seeing occasionally. Its not killing me that it didn't happen though.