nerdmann
8 years ago

why does any NFL team look at any RB from Wisc? The only reason the RB's did anything was because of the one of the best OL's in college football. Name me one Wisc RB that has done anything. Ron Dane? nope. Monte Ball? nope, Melvin Gordon? nope, John Clay? nope. PJ Hill nope, Terrell Fletcher? nope, Bret Moss? nope

Originally Posted by: packerfanoutwest 

People say the same shit about Jeff Tedford QBs. Ted's gonna do his due diligence. Besides, they're really just doing it to send Lacy the message.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
8 years ago

What's up with the Packers recent love affair with power RBs?

Don't get me wrong, having a good power back can be awesome... but what about having different types? And having change up backs? And making the defenses plan for different types.

Since drafting Jonathan Franklin in 2013, the Packers have seemed mainly to only interested in power RBs unless they're UDFA flier...

Is new RB coach Sam Gash in love with power RBs? As a long time NFL FB he has blocked for a number of very good to great power FBs and might be the style he likes the best.

But I still think having a speed RB (or at least a very quick RB) can still be an amazing change up especially if they have home run speed and you can at least threaten the defenses with it and make them respect or think about it, that could possibly open up some other things....

Which is one reason I'd like to see Janis get a hand off or two... if they could make him hit a half (or more) open hole it could be like a kick return. Mike McCarthy made special packages for Franklin, he should be able to do it for Janis too... Janis wouldn't need to be great at it, just good enough to threaten the defense and force them to keep one extra eye in the backfield as a change up guy.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

Don't get me wrong, having a good power back can be awesome... but what about having different types? And having change up backs? And making the defenses plan for different types.

Since drafting Jonathan Franklin in 2013, the Packers have seemed mainly to only interested in power RBs unless they're UDFA flier...

Is new RB coach Sam Gash in love with power RBs? As a long time NFL FB he has blocked for a number of very good to great power FBs and might be the style he likes the best.

But I still think having a speed RB (or at least a very quick RB) can still be an amazing change up especially if they have home run speed and you can at least threaten the defenses with it and make them respect or think about it, that could possibly open up some other things....

Which is one reason I'd like to see Janis get a hand off or two... if they could make him hit a half (or more) open hole it could be like a kick return. Mike McCarthy made special packages for Franklin, he should be able to do it for Janis too... Janis wouldn't need to be great at it, just good enough to threaten the defense and force them to keep one extra eye in the backfield as a change up guy.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I suppose they've already got Cobb and Montgomery.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
8 years ago

I suppose they've already got Cobb and Montgomery.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

True but they've also horrible struggled the few times they have been asked to run up the middle (and Janis might as well)... because they're not used to it and not used to doing it at the NFL level which a full time RB who has been doing it for years might have a lot easier time finding/hitting the hole.

I think I miss having a variety of different RBs (power, quickness, speed) because you can use them in different ways ... where right now we mainly just have power and haven't really had the option of a super quick or speed back and defenses haven't had to worry about that other than a WR in the back field.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

There seems to be two separate and distinct ideas here - BOTH of which I really like.

1. Using/preferring speed backs instead of power backs
2. Designing plays, including runs, for Janis

Using Starks more and Lacy less is a major step in the right direction on the first. There are a lot of speed backs coming out of college every year. I could see going with Starks, Crockett, and a fast rookie next season.

The old jet sweep seems like a good idea for the second. Just running into the line might not work so hot, as the holes just ain't there very often. Even Starks has to jump cut, reverse field, etc. A less experienced RB likely wouldn't be so good at that.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
8 years ago

Using Starks more and Lacy less is a major step in the right direction on the first. There are a lot of speed backs coming out of college every year. I could see going with Starks, Crockett, and a fast rookie next season.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Weren't you one of the ones that claimed Starks was a clear cut and didn't even deserve a roster spot or a shot in training camp because the others were clearly so much better? Now it's Lacy... just randomly wanting to cut good talent... [whead]

There seems to be two separate and distinct ideas here - BOTH of which I really like.

1. Using/preferring speed backs instead of power backs
2. Designing plays, including runs, for Janis

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Well if you liked them, then why did you twist and change them?

#1 was about using/preferring a variety of types of RB (not going to solely speed backs)... after all it's not 7 on 7 football even if you hate linemen and blame everything on them.

#2 was design runs for Janis (not all types of plays which you seemed to imply)... as Janis hasn't yet shown he can, run a good route, beat his man and catch the ball all on the same play... well he might of done it once, but still that's still a surprisingly small result, even Abby has shown more and he's been injured and sitting out most of the time Janis has been here.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.