RichMcGeorge
8 years ago

Ted has signed free agents, both starters and backups in his tenure with the Packers. He just doesn't do it often. He's also signed his own free agents that were worth the new contract. I am not defending him for not making moves this year but I am also not going to sit there and say he never signs free agents. He blew it this season.

What free agents did you want Ted to sign this year? Which free agents would have made an impact? What trades would be realistic that wouldn't impact the draft and develop strategy of this team?

Seahawks traded a great center and a 1st round pick away for Jimmy Graham and they play better without the guy on the field. It doesn't always work out.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Yes, Ted has signed veteran free agents during his tenure.

However, he has signed FEWER free agents than any other NFL GM during his tenure and it is not even close. The last player he traded for was I think Ryan Grant before the 2007 season.

Ted does things differently than practically every other GM.

DakotaT
8 years ago
So no team in the league would have traded away a starting WR to the Packers? Do any of you remember the Packers adding John Jefferson, when we had James Lofton? Did Thompson even explore a trade with another team. Seems to me all he did was wait around the waiver wire for the slowest receiver in football. And the draft and develop plan at WR failed us, because Janis and Abbraderis don't even see the field as we prefer to keep sending in Adams, who has really digressed. So I'd like someone to try and explain to me how Thompson gets another pass. He failed us this season.

Next year we get Jordy and Ty back on the field and everything will good again, but Ted pissed this season away with his conservatism.
UserPostedImage
RichMcGeorge
8 years ago

Which teams?

The Bengals for sure, Denver too (except Manning of course), Kansas City, Washington, New England, Carolina. Ooops they are all in the playoffs!

This season the FA market was weak, Thompson is not a gambler but I think this season he did well holding his chips.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

So Denver with high-priced FAs (in addition to Manning) like Emmanuel Sanders, DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, and TJ Ward does not sign veteran free agents? You mean like Owen Daniels the TE? Or Vernon Davis the TE they traded for?

Or the Patriots who signed CBs Revis & Browner before last season's Super Bowl win along with WRs Amendola & LaFell? The Patriots signed 2 FA RBs in Blount and Lewis. OLBer Sheard is a free agent. Belichek made 3 trades for players this season alone.

The Broncos & Patriots roster are the complete opposite of TT's approach in GB.

In Carolina, they signed Charles Tillman, Michael Oher, Kurt Coleman, and Ted Ginn just last season. They have Mike Tolbert at RB, Greg Olson at TE, Jared Allen at DE, and many others.

Washington has long been known for foolishly signing FAs.

KC has Alex Smith at QB, Abdullah at S, Jason Avant at WR, Tyron Branch at S, Mike Devito DT, Jeremy Maclin WR, Sean Smith CB who all were acquired via trade or veteran free agency (oh and 2 former Packer OLBs in Dezman Moses and Frank Zombo).

You are correct about Cincy, however, they are the closest, but the Bengals still have many more players who played for other teams than GB does.

luigis
8 years ago

So Denver with high-priced FAs (in addition to Manning) like Emmanuel Sanders, DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, and TJ Ward does not sign veteran free agents? You mean like Owen Daniels the TE? Or Vernon Davis the TE they traded for?

Or the Patriots who signed CBs Revis & Browner before last season's Super Bowl win along with WRs Amendola & LaFell? The Patriots signed 2 FA RBs in Blount and Lewis. OLBer Sheard is a free agent. Belichek made 3 trades for players this season alone.

The Broncos & Patriots roster are the complete opposite of TT's approach in GB.

In Carolina, they signed Charles Tillman, Michael Oher, Kurt Coleman, and Ted Ginn just last season. They have Mike Tolbert at RB, Greg Olson at TE, Jared Allen at DE, and many others.

Washington has long been known for foolishly signing FAs.

KC has Alex Smith at QB, Abdullah at S, Jason Avant at WR, Tyron Branch at S, Mike Devito DT, Jeremy Maclin WR, Sean Smith CB who all were acquired via trade or veteran free agency (oh and 2 former Packer OLBs in Dezman Moses and Frank Zombo).

You are correct about Cincy, however, they are the closest, but the Bengals still have many more players who played for other teams than GB does.

Originally Posted by: RichMcGeorge 

Yes you are right but for this season neither of those teams made any significant FA signings, except KC with Maclin all the others stayed put.
Washington is changing the tide not wasting money in FAs and see what just happened to them...

Luis
warhawk
8 years ago

So no team in the league would have traded away a starting WR to the Packers? Do any of you remember the Packers adding John Jefferson, when we had James Lofton? Did Thompson even explore a trade with another team. Seems to me all he did was wait around the waiver wire for the slowest receiver in football. And the draft and develop plan at WR failed us, because Janis and Abbraderis don't even see the field as we prefer to keep sending in Adams, who has really digressed. So I'd like someone to try and explain to me how Thompson gets another pass. He failed us this season.

Next year we get Jordy and Ty back on the field and everything will good again, but Ted pissed this season away with his conservatism.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I don't disagree but the thing is they won the first 6 games with what they had and while it was a concern losing Jordy it was still working. I guess I wonder who they could have gotten later in the season because it took awhile before the shortfall of speed/talent showed it's ugly face. My hunch is that anyone that could have made an impact at that point was long gone.

I also agree that it will get much better with Jordy and Ty back and that tells me the team is not that far off from being a true contender. I mentioned this in another thread but having the players to extend the field and the defense will have a huge impact on the whole passing game. Adding JJ was a nice move but it did not solve the issue of making defenses play the entire field.

"The train is leaving the station."
RichMcGeorge
8 years ago

Yes you are right but for this season neither of those teams made any significant FA signings, except KC with Maclin all the others stayed put.
Washington is changing the tide not wasting money in FAs and see what just happened to them...

NE made 3 trades for players during the season. They signed a starting RB Lewis and OLBer Sheard during the offseason. Backup TE Scott Chandler, LB Jonathan Freeney were also signed. The Pats add veterans every year.

Denver acquired both Owen Daniels & Vernon Davis to play TE this year. Keo Shiloh, who had the INT that turned yesterday's win over San Diego, was signed this offseason. Starting guard Evan Mathis was signed this offseason. Tackle Tyler Polumbus was signed during the season. Starting S Darian Stewart was signed last offseason.

There is NO GM IN THE NFL who acquires fewer veterans via free agency or trades than Ted Thompson.

nerdmann
8 years ago

NE made 3 trades for players during the season. They signed a starting RB Lewis and OLBer Sheard during the offseason. Backup TE Scott Chandler, LB Jonathan Freeney were also signed. The Pats add veterans every year.

Denver acquired both Owen Daniels & Vernon Davis to play TE this year. Keo Shiloh, who had the INT that turned yesterday's win over San Diego, was signed this offseason. Starting guard Evan Mathis was signed this offseason. Tackle Tyler Polumbus was signed during the season. Starting S Darian Stewart was signed last offseason.

There is NO GM IN THE NFL who acquires fewer veterans via free agency or trades than Ted Thompson.

Originally Posted by: RichMcGeorge 

Ted's primary objective is to keep our franchise financially viable. Most teams have billionaire owners who can underwrite extra shit. We don't have that.

If you were a star free agent, would you rather go to Green Bay, or to a team like Washington or Dallas, where you could not only get your $10mil/year but then the owner can hook you up with a phat advertising contract on the side and you could be in a larger market (not to mention an area with a night life for black players?)
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
luigis
8 years ago
For one reason or another NE is a counter-example to any explanation we want to find for our team status.

- We never draft very high neither do they
- We have Rodgers so we can't waste in FAs, they have Brady and are very active in FA
- We claim our best WR got injured, they play with 2nd/3rd tier WRs and have no problem
Luis
nerdmann
8 years ago

For one reason or another NE is a counter-example to any explanation we want to find for our team status.

- We never draft very high neither do they
- We have Rodgers so we can't waste in FAs, they have Brady and are very active in FA
- We claim our best WR got injured, they play with 2nd/3rd tier WRs and have no problem

They have a multi-billionaire owner with political influence, who can give players side contracts for endorsements, etc.

They also cheat.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
8 years ago
[wtf] 🇹🇹 [whip2]

Can Ron Wolf please come back ! 🇲🇲 and 🇦🇷 are running out of time and need you !
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (2h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.