Zero2Cool
8 years ago

What I want to know is what WR's will be free agents this off season. Taking chances on these "projects" at WR in the Drafts is getting too old.

Perhaps Ted Thompson could trade a few WR's and get a good team DOG.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Noteworthy failed projects under Ted Thompson.

Greg Jennings.
James Jones.
Jordy Nelson.
Randall Cobb.
Davante Adams.

😝 😂
UserPostedImage
steveishere
8 years ago

The man can routes and more importantly catch the ball, and he knows the offense. It seems to me we just retired the number of our legend quarterback who's only motivation was to "stick it" to the Packers. It's amazing how hard it is for people to let things go.

We do not have a playoff caliber receiving corp right now. The loss of Jordy was not taken seriously enough by our coaching staff and GM and the Packers have payed the price for and will continue paying the price for until we are eliminated. Getting James Jones was an OK move, but it wasn't enough because that man does not keep D-coordinators up at night game planning.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Greg Jennings does? I'm guessing you haven't seen him play much lately. Jennings hasn't had a year as good as JJ just had since 2011 and Jones wasn't even that good this year.
steveishere
8 years ago

Greg Jennings.
James Jones.
Jordy Nelson.
Randall Cobb.
Davante Adams.

😝 😂

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

project WRs to go along with the small school DB projects like Damarious Randall and HHCD.
steveishere
8 years ago

But the article makes valid points.

At some point, when you had Barclay and Walker getting destroyed at LT, and as a result getting your franchise QB hit relentlessly, it would be entirely reasonable for a person to say "Holy s*it, I should immediately go find someone, really anyone, that doesn't get my franchise QB pounded".

What do we get, instead? The coaching staff trying either Linsley or Sitton at LT. Ted Thompson should be getting the entire blame for not giving his coaches something better. I find it very difficult to believe there was nothing better on the FA market at Lt than Walker, Barclay and Linsley.

Ted has his approach. And it has worked in the past. Heck, it worked last year also when our injuries were non-existent. His approach is not entirely flawed; it actually is a good approach.

But if that approach breaks down, it is entirely fair to expect the head of your company to do something to try and improve things. That would be the responsible approach, actually. Ted refuses to do much of anything, and that can become problematic when you find yourself in the situation the Packers' offense has been of late.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

I don't see how that is difficult to believe at all. Then you have to take into account the person out there probably not being in football shape or up to speed with the offense. I don't even find it hard to believe that teams are legit starting players as bad as Barclay at T because that's how bad that position is in the NFL as a whole. That's one reason I never get why people complain so much about Bakhtiari and Bulaga.
Smokey
8 years ago

Greg Jennings.
James Jones.
Jordy Nelson.
Randall Cobb.
Davante Adams.

😝 😂

Cobb + Adams + a small fee will get you a fine dog at the local pound .

[sneaky]

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
8 years ago

What about the 6th round pick? This year we faced Oak TE Rivera and RB Murry; Detroit's CB Diggs and RB Riddick; AZ's NT Gunter and RB Ellington...etc., all drafted in 6th round.

Remember: every team has high paid stars; what separates the best teams from the worst year in and out is which teams have the most 1st contract studs.

Losing the 6th reduces the odds of getting a first contract stud;and the GM that does this 1 or 2 times per year is the GM of a perennial loser. Imagine if signing Davis also cost you a Jolly, Crosby, Bishop, Corey Williams, Matt Hasselbeck, Marco Rivera or a Doug Evans.

I dont think Davis would have been anymore productive than Perillo on this team. His lack of knowing the offense probably would have cost a turnover two. He's not the blocker Rodgers is nor is he as sure handed and he dont play special teams. The loss of valuable cap space, the loss of a youngster being cut, and the risk of his attitude and the risk of losing a Doug Evans far outweighs any contribution he possibly could have made.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Sure, a late 6th round pick COULD mean the loss of a future good player. But how many useless players are drafted in the late 6th round? More likely than finding a great contributor, especially one that could contribute more than Vernon Davis at a position of great weakness for the Packers. 6th round picks are very lucky to even make the Packers roster. Vernon Davis would likely relaxed the pressure on the Packers to upgrade the TE group and focus more on drafting the best available players. Otherwise, TE will continue to be a major need in the offseason.

I don't think Vernon Davis would have been very useful for the first multiple weeks because he wouldn't know the offense. But I thought he could get up to speed by the playoffs and potentially be a weapon there (e.g., against Arizona this week, especially with Adams out). The Packers tight end group is the definition of mediocrity. It's just hard for me to believe Davis couldn't have slightly improved the position, at worst.

If Ted Thompson rarely wants to make low risk/decent reward moves like this, then he needs to draft better. It's that simple. He can't just draft well. He has to draft VERY WELL. Otherwise, the Packers will continue to have glaring weaknesses that cost them playoff wins, imo. Ted Thompson's style puts sooo much pressure on the draft. He doesn't make life easy on himself, that's for sure.
DakotaT
8 years ago

I find it quite fascinating that the same person who blasts people for not just "moving on" from a player claiming they should be cut also feels the Packers should bring back a washed up wide receiver when the Packers have two coming back from injury that are far more talented at this stage of their careers.

The world of a fan truly is dictated by a whim and not reason, lol.

You don't think Jennings is an upgrade over Adams, Abby, Jones, and Janis? Wow, he's had 3 years of rest on teams with lousy quarterbacks.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

You don't think Jennings is an upgrade over Adams, Abby, Jones, and Janis? Wow, he's had 3 years of rest on teams with lousy quarterbacks.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

James Jones produces on the field and isn't a whiney ass diva. Greg Jennings hasn't been the same since his surgery and his numbers support that. Hell, Jennings couldn't even start for the Dolphins. To be fair, Joe Philbin brought him there to mentor the young guys. Think about that.

When building a football team, roles play a factor in the bottom of the depth chart at positions.

[list=1]
  • Jordy Nelson
  • Randall Cobb
  • Davante Adams
  • Ty Montgomery
  • Jared Abberderris
  • Jeff Janis [/list]

• James Jones should be re-signed, but if all goes well he'll be cut at the final 53. You don't keep an old veteran around to be your 5 or 6.

Jeff Janis has value on special teams that Jennings couldn't even sniff at, so why weaken special teams to add some washed up has-been that won't help your offense?

Jared Abberderris has earned Aaron Rodgers trust. If you need more explanation on why he has a spot, then you simply don't know football. You do though, so I won't say more.
    UserPostedImage
    mi_keys
    8 years ago

I don't see how that is difficult to believe at all. Then you have to take into account the person out there probably not being in football shape or up to speed with the offense. I don't even find it hard to believe that teams are legit starting players as bad as Barclay at T because that's how bad that position is in the NFL as a whole. That's one reason I never get why people complain so much about Bakhtiari and Bulaga.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Breno Giacomini and Allen Barbre are starting lineman in the NFL and have been for years... that should tell you how dire the situation is.
    Born and bred a cheesehead
    DakotaT
    8 years ago

James Jones produces on the field and isn't a whiney ass diva. Greg Jennings hasn't been the same since his surgery and his numbers support that. Hell, Jennings couldn't even start for the Dolphins. To be fair, Joe Philbin brought him there to mentor the young guys. Think about that.

When building a football team, roles play a factor in the bottom of the depth chart at positions.

[list=1]

• Jordy Nelson
  • Randall Cobb
  • Davante Adams
  • Ty Montgomery
  • Jared Abberderris
  • Jeff Janis [/list]

• James Jones should be re-signed, but if all goes well he'll be cut at the final 53. You don't keep an old veteran around to be your 5 or 6.

Jeff Janis has value on special teams that Jennings couldn't even sniff at, so why weaken special teams to add some washed up has-been that won't help your offense?

Jared Abberderris has earned Aaron Rodgers trust. If you need more explanation on why he has a spot, then you simply don't know football. You do though, so I won't say more.

The problem with your theory is that there only 2 proven players on that list, which leaves you very vulnerable to criticism. It doesn't have to be Jennings, it could be any veteran wide receiver that can catch a pass, run a route to perfection, and run faster than you.

James Jones did fine this year, but Thompson could have done a lot more, and he didn't even try. That's poor management! He's so protective of his draft picks, that he never loads the team up to get them to Super Bowl. Yeah we have plenty of young players possibly ready to take the next step, do we anybody you'd bet your house on that is a sure thing?
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
    Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
    dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.