musccy
8 years ago

I'm not telling you that you are wrong at all. But I am saying it's wrong to attempt to belittle how others perceive and enjoy the game. Also, I'll leave the stress of failure up to those that are getting paid for the performance of the team (players, coaches, administration). That's their responsibility. I want the Packers to win, make no mistake. But ultimately, I have absolutely no control over their success and it doesn't pay my bills in any way, so it's simply not something I dwell on. I'm thankful for that. I know many take it much more personally, and that's fine I suppose, but I choose not to. I'll still enjoy watching great hail mary throws and completions.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Post of the day! +2
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I'm not telling you that you are wrong at all. But I am saying it's wrong to attempt to belittle how others perceive and enjoy the game. Also, I'll leave the stress of failure up to those that are getting paid for the performance of the team (players, coaches, administration). That's their responsibility. I want the Packers to win, make no mistake. But ultimately, I have absolutely no control over their success and it doesn't pay my bills in any way, so it's simply not something I dwell on. I'm thankful for that. I know many take it much more personally, and that's fine I suppose, but I choose not to. I'll still enjoy watching great hail mary throws and completions.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I hear what you're saying but what would you say to the crowd here that goes on and one how we've been blessed for 20 years with great QB play and gets off on not being Cleveland? Doesn't that bother you as much as my viewpoint? If you're truly as Switzerland on this as you're claiming then that pollyanna over the top stuff should bother you as much as my opposite extreme but it doesn't appear to. Why?

You are pro enjoyment and con non enjoyment. How dare you tell me I should derive pleasure or have it impact me a certain way! I never! 😁
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

Hey, I'm with you on all of this...but...if we're watching a professional football team on TV, I want to see the ultimate, not something that leaves you hollow.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

If you cannot find satisfaction in watching professionals compete at a high level regardless of outcome, the problem is Yours.

You are not on the field, you are not competing, you shouldn't be that dependent on what others do for your satisfaction. And if you can only get satisfaction out of the best, you must be disappointed in yourself every day.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
uffda udfa
8 years ago

If you cannot find satisfaction in watching professionals compete at a high level regardless of outcome, the problem is Yours.

You are not on the field, you are not competing, you shouldn't be that dependent on what others do for your satisfaction. And if you can only get satisfaction out of the best, you must be disappointed in yourself every day.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

You have the last part pretty close to right. Perfectionists are never happy. Sucks sometimes but it drives you to be great when you find the thing that motivates you. The quote I hate losing more than I like winning is absolutely me.

Why is that my "problem"... not a problem to me but it is about perspective. I can assure you the greats of the NFL want one thing... to win championships... getting to a SB isn't enough...they have to win.

It can keep going and going if you'd like but it remains... those who are satisfied with "good" don't care about greatness....and those who love greatness couldn't care less about being good. Anything I ever did, I wanted to be great...all that mattered to me. Good was never good enough. I have that same mindset when I watch sports and love players who have that drive to be great and demand it and accept nothing less but being the best. Your mileage may vary but I hardly find that a "problem".

There are things about yourself that you see in others and you admire them for that same trait you possess. Most relationships are based off this type of connection. Goods should hang with goods and greats should hang with greats. Averages should hang with averages, etc. I admire the PLAYER, COACH, ORGANIZATION, GM, that accepts nothing less but the best. We have way too many not like me in our organization and in the fan base. I as a fan can do nothing but watch like you. I understand that but it doesn't mean that I don't look for or desire to see certain things.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

I'm more inclined to believe the fan of a team that won only three games last season understands their team needs those 1st and 2nd round picks to build a core rather than adding an elite quarterback who is in his 30's. That's just basic common sense to me.

I'm ashamed that Packers fans, regardless of it being one or a handful, are wanting to shove off Aaron Charles Rodgers. Even more so that some are using PackersHome to dispense such atrocious garbage.

We were fortunate to have Brett Favre.
We are fortunate to have Aaron Rodgers.
Goodness we are beyond words fortunate to have had them back-to-back.

If you can't appreciate what Aaron Rodgers brings to the Packers. Please, go root for any number of about two dozen teams for a season and maybe we'll let you back in after you realize how ungrateful and unappreciative you are of the great fortunate the Packers have had at quarterback over the last two plus decades.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I appreciate Rodgers probably more than anyone on this Board. Not a single one of you except maybe Steve has studied him as much as I have.

I appreciate Bart Starr; but I'm glad he did not QB us last year because I dont think he'd be very good.

I appreciated Tramon to no end; but felt 21M over 3 w/ 10M G was beyond his worth.

Casey Hayward was fantastic over the last 2 games; I appreciate him; he's gonna get paid and I dont think GB should pay the 7-10M per he's going to get and take the 3-4th round comp pick; especially given how the 3 rooks and Goodson ascended. If Shields retires tomorrow; then I say sign him for 7-8 if you can.

Barclay got a fair contract based on his performance over the years and projected ascension. But he failed miserably to live up to his contract, he is not worth the 1.5M he got.

So we can discuss, Barclay, Tramon and Hayward, and being to root for someone else; why cant similar discussions take place over Rodgers? Really?

All we have is scholarless "you must be insane' type comments or crazy theories like Mike McCarthy lost his ability to set up an offense. That's okay it's America.

No one is addressing the plethora of facts with a rational and cogent response and that's okay. Its what people do when they know they're wrong or have an opinion that they no is unsupportable.

Again what Brady did in 2012 to 2013, PROVES, our offense should not have turned to crap and Brady is only making 15M per.

Z2C, you, for example, opined in another thread that Cobb and Adams' injuries hurt the offense; but when it was pointed out as they got healthier the offense got worse, you fail to respond.

We have the strongest roster in the league as evidence by our QB playing the game with a 58.6 passer rating [when he was passing without praying to Mary] and still playing AZ to a standstill in AZ. And we were one Shields INT or lucky deflection away from winning the game. We would have won with McCown playing with a pedestrian 85 passer rating.

If we start like normal and if Rodgers doesn't ascend/rebound from this year; we will miss the playoffs next year and waste another year of having what I expect to be the strongest roster in the NFC.

Now if you cant appreciate American principles like freedom of thought and the scholarly exchange of ideas; perhaps you can root for more than 2 dozen countries that suppress such ideas. 😂

Oh an just so you all know, the reason Janis didn't see the field was not McCarthy's; it was Rodgers' attitude toward him.

We will be a better team in 2016 w/ McCown at QB, who will be 100% dedicated to winning and playing w/in the system and resigning Raji, Perry, Neal and Hayward and Starks with the money we save. Janis will be better too w/ McCown throwing to him.
nerdmann
8 years ago

I hear what you're saying but what would you say to the crowd here that goes on and one how we've been blessed for 20 years with great QB play and gets off on not being Cleveland? Doesn't that bother you as much as my viewpoint? If you're truly as Switzerland on this as you're claiming then that pollyanna over the top stuff should bother you as much as my opposite extreme but it doesn't appear to. Why?

You are pro enjoyment and con non enjoyment. How dare you tell me I should derive pleasure or have it impact me a certain way! I never! 😁

The only one who goes on and on is the same person who won't stfu about how Janis is the second coming of Rice.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
8 years ago

You have the last part pretty close to right. Perfectionists are never happy. Sucks sometimes but it drives you to be great when you find the thing that motivates you. The quote I hate losing more than I like winning is absolutely me.

Why is that my "problem"... not a problem to me but it is about perspective. I can assure you the greats of the NFL want one thing... to win championships... getting to a SB isn't enough...they have to win.

It can keep going and going if you'd like but it remains... those who are satisfied with "good" don't care about greatness....and those who love greatness couldn't care less about being good. Anything I ever did, I wanted to be great...all that mattered to me. Good was never good enough. I have that same mindset when I watch sports and love players who have that drive to be great and demand it and accept nothing less but being the best. Your mileage may vary but I hardly find that a "problem".

There are things about yourself that you see in others and you admire them for that same trait you possess. Most relationships are based off this type of connection. Goods should hang with goods and greats should hang with greats. Averages should hang with averages, etc. I admire the PLAYER, COACH, ORGANIZATION, GM, that accepts nothing less but the best. We have way too many not like me in our organization and in the fan base. I as a fan can do nothing but watch like you. I understand that but it doesn't mean that I don't look for or desire to see certain things.

And by "greatness" and "perfection," you mean Janis, right?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

Why is it your problem. Because nothing that happens during a game, impacts you. You are not playing, you are not competing. If the packers win, or the Packers lose, the next morning you will wake up and nothing will be different.

I can go watch a game between two teams I am not a fan of, teams I don't know a single player and get satisfaction from watching the competition, not caring which team wins or loses. Greats hang with greats, average with average, your line of thinking is irrational. And you must be a loner because there is nobody who matchers your level or lack there of greatness in order to hang with.

A better quote is

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Why is it your problem. Because nothing that happens during a game, impacts you. You are not playing, you are not competing. If the packers win, or the Packers lose, the next morning you will wake up and nothing will be different.

I can go watch a game between two teams I am not a fan of, teams I don't know a single player and get satisfaction from watching the competition, not caring which team wins or loses. Greats hang with greats, average with average, your line of thinking is irrational. And you must be a loner because there is nobody who matchers your level or lack there of greatness in order to hang with.

A better quote is

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I like that quote. Ironically, I came across it yesterday, again, and now here it is, again.

My line of thinking is not irrational save but to your way of thinking. I understand why it would be irrational to you. You are irrational to me.

You are a Packers fan for a reason. If you really just get enjoyment out of watching any old team then you wouldn't care to spend any time here. Why do it? There is no reason to value the Packers experience over any other. Ah, but you do value the Packers experience more...WHY? There is a scoreboard during a game because winning or losing DOES matter. Your postings imply that nothing matters it's just all feel good everyone wins a prize and is better for watching.

There are plenty of things I've done where I didn't win and enjoyed them because I knew I gave every single thing I had. Losing absolutely sucked but I knew I did my part to win and sometimes someone else is just better. That knowledge should drive you to be better, or you could just accept it and never try to get better...that is what your kind of thinking produces in my view.

This Packers team should be totally sold out to come back and win the SB next season with the mentality of the Apollo mission...FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. It has been an all too easy option for the org and many of it's fans for far too long.

UserPostedImage

voiceofreason
8 years ago
Man I took a few days off as I often do, but I regret missing this explosion of crazy. It took me half an hour just to skim the six pages of hot mess. Biggest take away was the powerball comparison. I regularly buy one ticket when the jackpot gets high, and when it topped a billion I even bought two. When I inevitably don't win, I obviously don't feel satisfaction, but I am not dissatisfied. I bought the ticket for the what if, the fantasy. You bought the ticket with the expectation to win. One of us may be a frivolous dreamer, but the other is a straight up fool.
blank