uffda udfa
8 years ago

You seem to be criticizing the team for trying to get more contribution out of Jones and advocating that instead they should be trying to get nothing out of him.

Trying him out at OLB seems to be a low-risk option. If he doesn't work out at OLB, then cut him.

My expectation is they are unsure if Peppers is coming back and they are trying to cover their bases.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

Ha ha! That is the point...they have to resort to weird things because these guys are NOT what they were supposed to be at the positions they were drafted at. Personally, I'm tired of watching high draft picks on the defensive side fail with such regularity.

What I'm advocating is finding guys who can play and seeing them on the field over trying to get treasure out of trash.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
8 years ago

Ha ha! That is the point...they have to resort to weird things because these guys are NOT what they were supposed to be at the positions they were drafted at. Personally, I'm tired of watching high draft picks on the defensive side fail with such regularity.

What I'm advocating is finding guys who can play and seeing them on the field over trying to get treasure out of trash.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

It was mentioned by at least Capers during the draft press conferences that Jones could play OLB in 3-4. Jones was drafted with this in mind.

In his rookie season in SF playoff game he got like 13 snaps at OLB.

Jones continues to tweak those damn ankles. Moving him outside, reduce the stress on his ankles by reducing the # of times his planted legs get hit from unexpected angles/directions and rolling his ankles when inadvertently stepping on an other guy's foot.

If Jones could just stay healthy, he'd be a force.

"Weird things?" A ton of guys [humm, i guess that's only about 7-8]...truck loads of guys have successfully changed positions, it's not weird at all. do you want a closed-minded staff that says we picked a guy for this and that's it and wont consider anything else?

Next year I want 2 more position changes: Hyde to ILB [ala AZ's Buchanon] and Lacy to Nose Tackle. That 2nd one sounded better in my head, let's make that 1 more change.
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Datone wasn't drafted to be an OLB. He was supposed to be the answer on the DL for the read option. Yes, I understand guys change positions but in Green Bay it's for one of two reasons... 1) The guy isn't good enough to play the position he was initially slated for and they want to give one last ditch effort to see if they can get anything opposed to nothing out of that particular player OR...2) Because there is NOBODY in a certain position so someone else HAS to go over there. See: Clay Matthews.

It's shameful that we have to play Clay Matthews inside because we have NOBODY else to play in there that isn't an absolute liability reducing our overall defense's effectiveness because Clay is playing where he shouldn't be playing. It is also shameful that there are guys who should be able to at least be decent who were high picks that have to be moved to some weird "hybrid" role because they aren't good enough at their singular original role.

Do you not see the problem with this? In moving a garbage guy you're just dumping trash at two positions instead of getting rid of the guy and finding someone who can play the one position he can't and then find another guy for the hybrid part who can play. We're using subpar players to cover spots on our D that should have the focus on actually finding guys who can play each position singularly and play it well.

It's sad.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
8 years ago

Datone wasn't drafted to be an OLB. He was supposed to be the answer on the DL for the read option. Yes, I understand guys change positions but in Green Bay it's for one of two reasons... 1) The guy isn't good enough to play the position he was initially slated for and they want to give one last ditch effort to see if they can get anything opposed to nothing out of that particular player OR...2) Because there is NOBODY in a certain position so someone else HAS to go over there. See: Clay Matthews.

It's shameful that we have to play Clay Matthews inside because we have NOBODY else to play in there that isn't an absolute liability reducing our overall defense's effectiveness because Clay is playing where he shouldn't be playing. It is also shameful that there are guys who should be able to at least be decent who were high picks that have to be moved to some weird "hybrid" role because they aren't good enough at their singular original role.

Do you not see the problem with this? In moving a garbage guy you're just dumping trash at two positions instead of getting rid of the guy and finding someone who can play the one position he can't and then find another guy for the hybrid part who can play. We're using subpar players to cover spots on our D that should have the focus on actually finding guys who can play each position singularly and play it well.

It's sad.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

People that carry rigid unyielding uncompromising myopic absolutes to an inappropriate degree have great difficulty with longstanding employment or relationships.

simile: Person A possesses an uncompromising myopic absolute in his hate for meat. This is reinforced by a moral position that meat is highly inefficient food source in a starving world and causes a number of long term health issues. If a friend, a girlfriend, an employer sits down to eat a burger or sits at a table with another eating a burger or the employer serves burgers in his cafeteria; Person A browbeats and disrespects that friend, girlfriend employer until they come around to Person A's way of thinking. Eventually, the friends says they moved to Alaska, the girlfriend again says she's washing her hair; and the boss says we're downsizing.

You take one sometimes TRUE fact [Your assertion that Jones was drafted only to stop Zone read is not only ridiculous, but 100% FALSE], but blow it up to ridiculous lengths and derive an uncompromising opinion that others must be browbeat into.
Examples: a player ran x at combine-he's slow
The offense was bad in 2015- Mike McCarthy is not an elite offensive mind
Harrell, Sherrod were busts-so is Ted Thompson
When others try to present alternate facts or a fresh perspective on the situation; you metaphorically stick your fingers in your ears and start mumbling "lalalalallalallla" until you see their lips stop moving and then pull out a verbal club of sarcasm, loaded questions, logical errors and ridicule to bludgeon then with until they acquiesce to your idea.

Life in this world nor football is built on a system of absolutes. It is the cap era. If Ted Thompson drafts 4 HOFers every year, he is a bad GM if all others draft 5 or more. See it is RELATIVE! You cant bash Ted Thompson for his drafting/utilization of players UNLESS YOU COMPARE IT TO ALL OTHERS.

We are not "weak" at TE or ILB; because weak or strong is RELATIVE; Richard Rodgers is a tackle breaking machine scoring a TD every time he touches the ball if the defense is 5th graders [okay, you're right, sometimes he will get tackles by a 5th grader].

Let me give you just one example of weak!!!! Before camp bodies were signed to futures contracts Seattle only had 4 OLman under contract: Britt [ranked 2nd worst left guard by PFF]; Gilliam [surely one of the 3-4 worst RTs] and guards Glowinski and Soklia that have not played a game and were 4th and 6th rounders. Barrington, Thomas, Palmer, Bradford and Ryan, and Rodgers, Henry, Perrillo and Backman are 1000x better at their respective positions than that collection of stooges.

Every team has weaknesses, every year. This is not an indictment of the GM, to have less than great players at a position or 2, it is a condition of the NFL world. But it is an indictment of the GM to have disgusting weakness at a critical position like Seattle.

This rigid myopic idea that players are ever drafted for one position or for one purpose is outrageously inept thinking. Drafting is about projecting and chumchum there is nothing absolute about projecting. Jones was a guy who could have gone several ways:
(1) he could have gone full blown Lacey and he'd be a NT; (2) put on a few pounds and became a 3-4 DE; (3) lost a few pounds and became OLB; and (4) played DE in a more traditional 4-3 scheme, which we run alot!

See this is how it would go for you as a GM looking ONLY for the perfect player for the perfect position: [You obviously went 0-16, so your drafting #1] Rnd 1: Andrew Luck; Rnd 2: Pass; Rnd 3: pass; Rnds4-7: Pass.

And every team does what the Packers do with their players...EVERY TEAM. However no other team is as effective at it as Mike McCarthy and TT. The only team close in NE; and if we take away Brady or if we traded, 2000-2007 Favre and Aaron Rodgers for Brady; then you'd see Ted Thompson is a top collector of talent and Mike McCarthy is top curator of it.
nerdmann
8 years ago
I'd take Datone Jones as a 1st rounder over AJ Hawk any day.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackerTraxx
8 years ago

Good points Macbob. And last year we heard that moving a college safety to CB was stupid as well; but Randall did quite well didn't he?

It also could be used as a negotiating ploy with Neal, Perry and/or Peppers. It is interesting this is announced at the same time CM3 is said to be going outside.

The move worked out well for Peppers and Neal and I think Jones is much more fluid and athletic than Neal.

It may also be a statement of what we have in Ringo and expected leaps for Boyd and Pennell.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Good points, however, Randall was a college CB playing safety his senior year because it put their best players on the field and the other CBs couldn't play safety nearly as well. I believe that's why Randall is a decent tackler for a rookie CB.

Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
nerdmann
8 years ago
Iirc, part of drafting Datone was to "finally" replace Cullen Jenkins. Fans had been dogging Ted about "letting Jenkins go" since the SB.

I didn't like the pick at the time. He wasn't even on my board, because he was a tweener. But I do like him better now than I did then.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

People that carry rigid unyielding uncompromising myopic absolutes to an inappropriate degree have great difficulty with longstanding employment or relationships.

simile: Person A possesses an uncompromising myopic absolute in his hate for meat. This is reinforced by a moral position that meat is highly inefficient food source in a starving world and causes a number of long term health issues. If a friend, a girlfriend, an employer sits down to eat a burger or sits at a table with another eating a burger or the employer serves burgers in his cafeteria; Person A browbeats and disrespects that friend, girlfriend employer until they come around to Person A's way of thinking. Eventually, the friends says they moved to Alaska, the girlfriend again says she's washing her hair; and the boss says we're downsizing.

You take one sometimes TRUE fact [Your assertion that Jones was drafted only to stop Zone read is not only ridiculous, but 100% FALSE], but blow it up to ridiculous lengths and derive an uncompromising opinion that others must be browbeat into.
Examples: a player ran x at combine-he's slow
The offense was bad in 2015- Mike McCarthy is not an elite offensive mind
Harrell, Sherrod were busts-so is Ted Thompson

When others try to present alternate facts or a fresh perspective on the situation; you metaphorically stick your fingers in your ears and start mumbling "lalalalallalallla" until you see their lips stop moving and then pull out a verbal club of sarcasm, loaded questions, logical errors and ridicule to bludgeon then with until they acquiesce to your idea.

Life in this world nor football is built on a system of absolutes. It is the cap era. If Ted Thompson drafts 4 HOFers every year, he is a bad GM if all others draft 5 or more. See it is RELATIVE! You cant bash Ted Thompson for his drafting/utilization of players UNLESS YOU COMPARE IT TO ALL OTHERS.

We are not "weak" at TE or ILB; because weak or strong is RELATIVE; Richard Rodgers is a tackle breaking machine scoring a TD every time he touches the ball if the defense is 5th graders [okay, you're right, sometimes he will get tackles by a 5th grader].

Let me give you just one example of weak!!!! Before camp bodies were signed to futures contracts Seattle only had 4 OLman under contract: Britt [ranked 2nd worst left guard by PFF]; Gilliam [surely one of the 3-4 worst RTs] and guards Glowinski and Soklia that have not played a game and were 4th and 6th rounders. Barrington, Thomas, Palmer, Bradford and Ryan, and Rodgers, Henry, Perrillo and Backman are 1000x better at their respective positions than that collection of stooges.

Every team has weaknesses, every year. This is not an indictment of the GM, to have less than great players at a position or 2, it is a condition of the NFL world. But it is an indictment of the GM to have disgusting weakness at a critical position like Seattle.

This rigid myopic idea that players are ever drafted for one position or for one purpose is outrageously inept thinking. Drafting is about projecting and chumchum there is nothing absolute about projecting. Jones was a guy who could have gone several ways:
(1) he could have gone full blown Lacey and he'd be a NT; (2) put on a few pounds and became a 3-4 DE; (3) lost a few pounds and became OLB; and (4) played DE in a more traditional 4-3 scheme, which we run alot!

See this is how it would go for you as a GM looking ONLY for the perfect player for the perfect position: [You obviously went 0-16, so your drafting #1] Rnd 1: Andrew Luck; Rnd 2: Pass; Rnd 3: pass; Rnds4-7: Pass.

And every team does what the Packers do with their players...EVERY TEAM. However no other team is as effective at it as Mike McCarthy and TT. The only team close in NE; and if we take away Brady or if we traded, 2000-2007 Favre and Aaron Rodgers for Brady; then you'd see Ted Thompson is a top collector of talent and Mike McCarthy is top curator of it.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

When it snows, I'll bet you just sit and spin your wheels. 😁

You can fancy nomenclature it up all over the board. The fact is Datone has been another failed 1st round pick.

You can deny all day what he was drafted to do, which he didn't do, and that was to stop read option. He was failed on the DL. You really want to argue that?

Moving him doesn't magically make him a better pick...it merely weakens us at two positions ensuring that neither is properly addressed because we have Datone to "cover them both". That's laughable.

My point is...I'm tired of them moving around guys who weren't good enough at their original positing hoping against hope they're better at the new one. I have no real issue if you want to do this with UDFA's and late rounders but to be experimenting after you drafted them for specific reasons is not bright and we've paid for that and looks like we'll just continue on doing so.

Nerd...I laughed. I couldn't agree more...that doesn't speak to Datone's ability but rather AJ Hawk's total inability. My goodness we've drafted some turds on D up high.

UserPostedImage

buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
Not sure why Ted, Mike and Dom do what they do.

All I know is they make our resident online geniuses look like fools time after time.

That's good enough for me!
😂 😂 😂
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Not sure why Ted, Mike and Dom do what they do.

All I know is they make our resident online geniuses look like fools time after time.

That's good enough for me!
😂 😂 😂

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Look like fools? Now, THAT is truly foolish!

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (3h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (3h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (3h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (19h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
47m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.