Zero2Cool
8 years ago
In other words, Mike wants him and knows Ted is going to low-ball the hell out of Jared Cook having any interest.

UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
8 years ago
What qualifies as "low-balling" a player who has made tens of millions based on nothing more than potential? The guy is looking for his third team after being cut by the coach who drafted him. The fact that he is still available shows that he is most likely asking for more money than he's worth.
blank
musccy
8 years ago

What qualifies as "low-balling" a player who has made tens of millions based on nothing more than potential? The guy is looking for his third team after being cut by the coach who drafted him. The fact that he is still available shows that he is most likely asking for more money than he's worth.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Good perspective, and I struggle to agree even though I know you're right.

What keeps gnawing at me, though, is there are now glaring needs either for starters or depth at TE, DL, ILB, WR, OL, G, and CB. If you could at least address one or two of those prior to the draft, it offers a little more peace of mind that the team isn't trying to draft an entire roster of needs.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago

Good perspective, and I struggle to agree even though I know you're right.

What keeps gnawing at me, though, is there are now glaring needs either for starters or depth at TE, DL, ILB, WR, OL, G, and CB. If you could at least address one or two of those prior to the draft, it offers a little more peace of mind that the team isn't trying to draft an entire roster of needs.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Er. They also need improvement at OLB and P, in my opinion.

Not to mention the fact that if they did somehow manage to draft at all these positions of need, the likelihood is really small of all those 2016 draftees filling the extent of those needs in 2016 (even after accounting for "continuing improvement by those already on the roster").

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Barfarn
8 years ago
Jared Cook has his house up for sale.

Cook was a community oriented guy in Tenn and then with Rams. His wife [Lana] and the community will have something to say about where Cook ends up. His oldest kid is a daughter who is 4, so she’s a little young to protest a move.

That said, if he was thinking about taking a 1 year prove it deal, with for example GB, one might think he’d hold off selling and uprooting his family until the following year. But, is seems the plan is to take his family wherever he goes.

This may mean he is waiting for a real multi-year deal.

Also, Cook is a southern boy. Born in Bama, raised in Suwanee GA, went to school at S. Carolina, then as a pro was in Tennessee and St. Louis; so not sure how far north of the Mason-Dixon line he’ll go. Cook’s community activism extends to his hometown, which is also where his mama still lives [She may have some input into where Cook goes as well].

Even more frightening [for those who want Cook to come to GB] is Lana is an assertive women, she is not a passive wall flower. She grew up in Jackson Tenn, went to Middle Tenn. State and met Jared in Nashville. And on November 15, 2014 tweeted “I’m not ready for winter.” If she is psychologically not ready for winter in November in St. Louis; she probably needed a cocktail of Xanax, Klonopin, Valium just thinking about Jared having spoken to Mike McCarthy more than once. Of course, she has no idea what winter is and undoubtedly the thoughts of moving to GB send shivers up and down her spine.

If Cook does not come to GB; it may have nothing to do with Ted [being “a tightwad”].
beast
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

I think you just completely nailed that on the head... I think he hasn't signed with anyone because of of a number of reasons...

- For the first time in his life, he doesn't have a huge market (or at least we don't think he does, then again people didn't think Woodson did either and signed a pretty big deal late)

- GB has the best offer currently on the table and he doesn't want to come to GB for what ever reason (like say, maybe as talked above, he and his wife are southerns and don't like the cold... or again in the case of Woodson, kept hearing "The talk is always this is no place for a black man ")

- Waiting to see what happens in the draft (he might not want to sign with the Packers if they're going to draft the #1 TE in the draft... of course that works both ways... the Packers might not be as interested in the #1 TE (if available) if they have another vet TE signed)

- Thinking about retirement
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

is there are now glaring needs either for starters or depth at TE, DL, ILB, WR, OL, G, and CB.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Er. They also need improvement at OLB and P, in my opinion.

all those 2016 draftees filling the extent of those needs in 2016 (even after accounting for "continuing improvement by those already on the roster").

Originally Posted by: Wade 

If everyone is healthy, do the Packers really have needs at WR and CB, after all they basically have a stud vet (if fully healthy) and a whole lot of talented young guns who have shined at times.

The Packers might/will have needs at G and OLB next year, but while all the vets are signed as of right now, I think they're in decent position there.

So those list (to me) are down to TE, DL, ILB, OT and maybe P, RB and S

- At TE they have Rodgers, Backman and Henry who a number of people thought looked better than Backman in training camp (but didn't have as much upside potential if Backman devolops), but all are less than 3 years in and have shown nice potential to possibly grow some more.

- DL, Pennel, Boyd and Ringo... I'm not sure how much growth Boyd and Ringo have, and I don't fully trust Pennel right now, as I think he has two strikes in two years in the NFL, and one more and he's suspended for a year. Might take two more guys to help.

- ILB, Ryan, Barrington, Thomas and Palmer... surely not the best list, but I don't think it's as horrible as fans make it out to be... then again, maybe I'm thinking about them with Matthews in their aiding them... but Ryan and Barrington are good thumpers and Thomas seemed to take a step up in coverage and grew some. If you find the right guy (which the Packers have struggled at doing at ILB) it might just take one more good ILB to solidify the unit.

- OT... yeah... help is needed, there is just Tretter and Bulaga can't be trusted to play 16 games.

- RB... yeah Lacy is losing weight, but he's also going to be a FA and at times RBs get injured or banged up and need healthy depth to let them rest up.

- S... when everyone is healthy Safety position is (mostly) great... but as shown a bit by Burnett going down some last year early, if one of the starters is out the Packers are in some trouble as the depth isn't there... and all due respect to Hyde, he doesn't yet seem natural back at true Safety yet and might not ever be. Also I felt like Hyde had a down year at the nickel/dime role, and he's a FA and how the Packers haven't been resigning their back-up DB, he could be gone and they're yet with just Banjo.

So my list of needs (in order)
DL, OT/C*, ILB, DL, TE, S, OLB, RB, P, CB, G, WR, QB

* = I have C up with the OT because I think Tretter is currently the top back-up for both, and selecting one of the two positions would then (in theory) let Tretter focus in on the other.

Really Punter is the X-factor here... because they're (hopefully) only keep one... (I still find it hard to believe than Sherman kept two, then again, I guess that's what you get when your 3rd round rookie draft pick punter doesn't win the starting job)...

But if they get to the later rounds and some guy can clearly improve on Masthay, then maybe that goes up on the need board, if no one, then maybe drops off the board completely.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
We don't have to draft a punter. Ted has a rolodex for that shit.

We'll need a NT, ILB and OT. Signing Cook solidifies some shit. Some depth at various positions would be cool. I like Crockett at RB, though. Montgomery is our "third down" guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9m) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (15h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (15h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (16h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (16h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.