wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

I know this has been discussed 1000 times but it's ridiculous to make a sweeping statement like "He didn't sign enough FAs" and refusing to bring even a single example of someone he could have signed to the party. I literally have not seen one of 6 posters engaged in a solid 10 pages worth of conversation over the last couple weeks bring up diddly despite literally a dozen direct requests by 3 different posters to provide said example in a very non-confrontational manner.

I'm not in the "Ted's a deadbeat" camp but I refuse to believe there's not several obvious examples of missed opportunities during Ted's tenure. I seriously do not get the point of having these abstract philosophical conversations (and putting a notable amount of effort into them) without any attempts to tie it back into the realm of the actual world. You clearly want to discuss the subject and put some effort into it since you're bringing up specific examples of people Ted DID sign and analyzing those signings. Why not put a fraction of that effort into explaining why you believe what you believe? Saying that Ted signed these guys and you don't think they're big signings doesn't really address the statement that during Ted's tenure there have been enough players that could have helped Green Bay.

Sorry, I'm just perplexed.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Since my last post's length bothered you here is my short answer.
With all due respect, No.

Longer version- I am not looking through the past 11 years of FAs looking for the ones GB could have signed. Suffice it to say that somebody in the prior 11 seasons could have been a help to the Packers organization.

GB acquired 2 players in 2006 then nobody was worthy until Uncle teddy took a shot on an aging Benson in 12 and Peppers in 14? Not very likely.

I am not implying that he had to sign 3-4 FAs every season. Not even 1 a year. But there have been plenty of times when another quality player on the team would have made a difference.

As has been said too many times in the past Uncle Teddy would have to be nearly perfect in the draft if he is going to go exclusively draft and develop. He hasn't been perfect by a long shot.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
8 years ago

Since my last post's length bothered you here is my short answer.
With all due respect, No.

Longer version- I am not looking through the past 11 years of FAs looking for the ones GB could have signed. Suffice it to say that somebody in the prior 11 seasons could have been a help to the Packers organization.

GB acquired 2 players in 2006 then nobody was worthy until Uncle teddy took a shot on an aging Benson in 12 and Peppers in 14? Not very likely.

I am not implying that he had to sign 3-4 FAs every season. Not even 1 a year. But there have been plenty of times when another quality player on the team would have made a difference.

As has been said too many times in the past Uncle Teddy would have to be nearly perfect in the draft if he is going to go exclusively draft and develop. He hasn't been perfect by a long shot.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I am in no way, shape, or form bothered by long posts. Hell, most of mine are short novels. It is more often than not (albeit not necessarily indicative of) something well-thought out. Nobody's requesting you pull up a list of free agents and rattle off 50 people Ted could have signed. I'm saying that you are obviously bothered by our lack of engagement in free agency and I don't understand how you couldn't have a single example of someone in recent enough memory for you to remember that you wish the Packers would have signed. Hell, it could even be someone that in retrospect the Packers shouldn't have signed. I'm in full agreement that Ted hasn't delved into FA enough, and in order to get this team over the hump he's going to need to take a gamble or two.

Examples: I thought the Packers should have grabbed Jairus Byrd back in 2014. Pleasantly surprised that Ha Ha has held his own, but at the time I wanted a veteran presence.

Because that's something we can talk about. A pro-Ted or anti-Ted viewpoint is all fine in my book, but if everyone's sticking to nonspecific broad strokes and nobody's explaining WHY they believe what they believe in a quantifiable way, things tend to devolve into their usual "Ted sucks!" "No he doesn't!" pissing fests. Because that's the only thing people are talking about.
DoddPower
8 years ago

I am in no way, shape, or form bothered by long posts. Hell, most of mine are short novels. It is more often than not (albeit not necessarily indicative of) something well-thought out. Nobody's requesting you pull up a list of free agents and rattle off 50 people Ted could have signed. I'm saying that you are obviously bothered by our lack of engagement in free agency and I don't understand how you couldn't have a single example of someone in recent enough memory for you to remember that you wish the Packers would have signed. Hell, it could even be someone that in retrospect the Packers shouldn't have signed. I'm in full agreement that Ted hasn't delved into FA enough, and in order to get this team over the hump he's going to need to take a gamble or two.

Examples: I thought the Packers should have grabbed Jairus Byrd back in 2014. Pleasantly surprised that Ha Ha has held his own, but at the time I wanted a veteran presence.

Because that's something we can talk about. A pro-Ted or anti-Ted viewpoint is all fine in my book, but if everyone's sticking to nonspecific broad strokes and nobody's explaining WHY they believe what they believe in a quantifiable way, things tend to devolve into their usual "Ted sucks!" "No he doesn't!" pissing fests. Because that's the only thing people are talking about.

Agreed. I kind of wanted Byrd too. Thank jeebus Ted didn't fall for that one!

I think Ted should sign a few more free agents, but I think he should try to restrict it to players that won't cost a compensatory draft pick. I think that's generally the best way to go about it, especially when the GM drafts well. I personally think Ted's last draft was very good. Hard to realistically ask for much more when picking late in each round.

Some examples that might be worth considering this season are Mario Williams, Scott Chandler, Matt Forte, and a few others. Plenty of players that could help the team and not cost a compensatory draft pick.
Porforis
8 years ago

Agreed. I kind of wanted Byrd too. Thank jeebus Ted didn't fall for that one!

I think Ted should sign a few more free agents, but I think he should try to restrict it to players that won't cost a compensatory draft pick. I think that's generally the best way to go about it, especially when the GM drafts well. I personally think Ted's last draft was very good. Hard to realistically ask for much more when picking late in each round.

Some examples that might be worth considering this season are Mario Williams, Scott Chandler, Matt Forte, and a few others. Plenty of players that could help the team and not cost a compensatory draft pick.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

If Lacy's looking iffy then I'd be all for going out and getting Forte. Would need to pay a premium but he's an all-around playmaker. Agree that last draft was phenomenal, however to some extent he lucked out that Rollins and Randall were able to contribute right out of the gate and hold their own. I was SUPER nervous going into the season about our DBs. Hopefully they continue to grow (and catch more balls that hit them in the hands).
Smokey
8 years ago
Weather through Free Agency , The Draft , or a combination deal, I believe the #1 off season Packer need is for a true "deep threat WR". Not a project that may payoff at some unknown point in the future, but a proven (day one) player that scares the hell out of opposing teams. 6'2" , large hands, 4.40 40 yd speed.

#2 need is at CB !

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Weather through Free Agency , The Draft , or a combination deal, I believe the #1 off season Packer need is for a true "deep threat WR". Not a project that may payoff at some unknown point in the future, but a proven (day one) player that scares the hell out of opposing teams. 6'2" , large hands, 4.40 40 yd speed.

#2 need is at CB !

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

What about the guy listed #2?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501532/article/ty-hilton-desean-jackson-among-nfls-top-five-deep-threats 

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

#2 need is at CB !

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

McGinn said on his podcast that they were showing interest in one of the speedsters at the combine. I forget which one, I think it was Will Fuller.

If they want a CB, they should keep Hayward, imo. I think he wants a shot to prove himself outside though. Probably won't get that if he stays.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

It's in the past. I don't waste my time trying to remember who I wish they would have gotten. There is no benefit in thinking about the ones that got away. Truth of the matter is I can't even remember who was on the team in 2014 if they weren't a starter and currently on the team. Also I don't study all the available FAs and pout when they don't get them. I don't get paid enough. Part of the reason is- why waste time if there is only about a 5% chance that GB will sign him?

I am not trying to continue a pissing match. I simply know Uncle Teddy doesn't sign FAs and mentioned it. The documentation that you seek is the blank space in the roster history while he is GM. You are looking for something I can't give you.

For what it's worth I think Uncle Teddy is a better than average GM. Yet he limits himself by not utilizing all the options available to the team. I have no doubt that some of the time the player pulled a "Woodson" only he had more options than GB alone. That is not Teddy's fault, for the most part.

I will also concede that there dozens of potential players available every year. On a roster that is pretty set there may be 1 or 2 players who fit the needs and have the right price tag and age.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
8 years ago

If Lacy's looking iffy then I'd be all for going out and getting Forte. Would need to pay a premium but he's an all-around playmaker. Agree that last draft was phenomenal, however to some extent he lucked out that Rollins and Randall were able to contribute right out of the gate and hold their own. I was SUPER nervous going into the season about our DBs. Hopefully they continue to grow (and catch more balls that hit them in the hands).

Is that luck or just good scouting/coaching? As always, it's likely a little of each.
nerdmann
8 years ago
Vernon Davis wants to play 4-5 more years 

Davis will become a free agent next week and a return to Denver is unlikely. The same could probably be said of a long-term deal after the way last season went, but Davis is still planning on several more years in the NFL.

Sounds like Ted could get a deal on him. Might be a low-risk Charles Woodson type reclamation project.

The marginal production in Denver continued a troubling trend for Davis dating back to the start of the 2014 season. After a 52-catch/13-touchdown 2013 season, Davis dropped to 26 catches for 245 yards for the 49ers that year and had 18 catches in 2015 before being traded to Denver. If Davis can’t move things in the other direction this year, he’s going to have a hard time getting close to his goal.

Then there's also this guy:

After two years away, Kellen Winslow wants to make a comeback 

“My body feels good enough to come back and play at a high level, even better I think because I’m just a little wiser,” Winslow said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “It was good to get away from the game just to work on me. I want to be a better player than I was before. I think I can.”

Winslow is a long shot to ever play again. Which makes him a very low risk option.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
beast (10h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (10h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (10h) : fuck
beast (11h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (11h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (11h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (11h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (12h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (13h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (13h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (13h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (13h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.