Barfarn
8 years ago

Bringing back Chris Banjo is a good move. Malik Jackson getting 15/y makes Daniels deal look freaking glorious.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Oakland and Jax have been building carry-over $$, spending just enough to meet min spending requirements. Now that their QBs are looking like something it was my fear that they'd pay whatever to get whoever they wanted and Ted Thompson probably felt the same way and didn't let Daniels get close enough to even sniff free agency. If Daniels didn't get locked up he'd be gone!
DoddPower
8 years ago

Bringing back Chris Banjo is a good move. Malik Jackson getting 15/y makes Daniels deal look freaking glorious.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Ted Thompson's contracts for star players sometimes seem a little high at first, but after one year or less, they often look like steals. The Packers know how to work contracts, that's for sure.
Cheesey
8 years ago
We NEED more help on defense. A linebacker to compliment CM3.
A tight end with some talent would be the next hole to fill.
I don't have a CLUE what Uncle Ted will do. But I HOPE he finally gets some free agents that can fill those 2 holes, and not "hope" the draft can do it.
UserPostedImage
sschind
8 years ago
Let the official wailing and gnashing of teeth begin.
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
he Green Bay Packers addressed the future of two pending free agents prior to the start of the new league year Wednesday afternoon in tendering a contract to tight end Justin Perillo but not outside linebacker Andy Mulumba.

Mulumba, a restricted free agent, is now free to sign with any NFL team. The lowest restricted tender the Packers could have issued the three-year veteran was worth $1.671 million, which is three times what Mulumba made when he had four tackles in six games last season.

While the former undrafted free agent can negotiate elsewhere, the Packers also can re-sign him at a lower cost. The minimum for a player with three accrued seasons is $760,000 in 2016.

Meanwhile, Green Bay tendered an exclusive-rights contract to Perillo, who will make $675,000 if he makes the team next season.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
shield4life
8 years ago
I'm glad we're not throwing our $$$ for free agents. I rather sign our own players that we know exactly what we're paying for in the future. In a couple of years we've got young players contracts coming to an end which we're going to need $$$. We can't invest in dead money which may end up being busts and we would half to cut them afterwards.

About 70-80% of free agents end up a bust.

Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Rockmolder
8 years ago

I'm glad we're not throwing our $$$ for free agents. I rather sign our own players that we know exactly what we're paying for in the future. In a couple of years we've got young players contracts coming to an end which we're going to need $$$. We can't invest in dead money which may end up being busts and we would half to cut them afterwards.

About 70-80% of free agents end up a bust.

Originally Posted by: shield4life 

Firstly, how'd you get that percentage?

Secondly, I don't get how a team like the Patriots manages to get a good mix in FA additions and solid draft picks, which keeps them at the top 4 teams in the NFL year - in, year-out, yet we have to keep all our money locked up in a vault so we can carry over a couple of millions to pay our own guys.

I get the necessity of resigning our own, but it's also clear that this year's draft alone isn't going to get us over the top.

Of course, there's no need to panic. There's a lot of FA left and a big portion of the signings today have been for ridiculous amounts of money.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
I've said this before and I'll say this again:

There's a big gap between "making more signings in FA than Ted Thompson does" and "making signings like Chaka Khan paying 90 million and 42 guaranteed to Malik Jackson."

I don't know anyone on this board who has *EVER* advocated the latter type of free agent action.

Most of us would be happy if he made a few more signings like Pickett/Woodson/Peppers, rather than just 3 in a entire decade. Player acquisition is not a game to play so that you never fail, any more than onfield coaching should be designed never to lose.

GMs are paid to take some financial risks. And that includes, IMO and that of others, means taking some financial risks with free agency and trades.

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of Nassim Taleb. He made megamillions (and didn't lose it) despite decades in the world of high-powered Wall Street trading. Read his books (e.g., Fooled by Randomness; Black Swan) and you see him heaping scorn on those who take the Khan/Snyder/Jones approach in a world where the *daily* risk exposure can run into the tens or even hundreds of millions and makes the risks taken by NFL owner-idiots look like the risk of buying a couple Powerball tickets. "Idiots" is one of the more gentle terms he uses to describe that kind of dealmaking.

But Taleb didn't become and stay a megamillionaire by avoiding all risks. He didn't do it by insisting that the downside be minimized. He did it by "stop loss" rules that said "Take big risks when the potential gain is big enough, but when your loss reaches a particular point, get out and cut your losses."

IMO that approach is what distinguishes the Belichek/New England approach to free agency from both the idiots like Khan/Snyder and from people like Thompson and his bigger supporters here. Belichek doesn't go all in on anything like Snyder and company do. But he *is* willing to take bigger risks every year, especially in free agency, than Thompson does. And when he finds he has made a mistake, he cuts his losses and tries not to repeat the same error twice. Thompson, on the other hand, doesn't want to ever make certain errors. He doesn't want to make any mistake in free agency bigger than the risk once every few years of giving a fourth round draft pick for sixth round value.

(No free agent who believes himself capable of the season Moss put up in his first year in New England is going to agree to a way-below-level-for-two-years kind of contract. IMO, if I had been Moss when GB took the "we don't want to rent the guy for one year, we want to rent him for two years below his market" approach, I wouldn't have just said "yes" to New England's offer. I would have said "fuck you!" to Thompson.

It's not Belichek's willingness to take the "one year rent" risk for Moss than makes him a better GM than Thompson. Every GM is going to avoid some risks that he should have taken and taken some risks that he shouldn't. But the difference between Belichek and Thompson isn't any one deal or any two deals that one of them made and the other didn't. Belichek consistently is willing to take the kind of risks that Thompson isn't but should. It's Belichek's overall intermediate approach to risk-taking, year and year out, that explains why Belichek's teams have outperformed Thompson's over a long period of time.

I don't know where Elway fits -- he seems like he's more a Belichek type, but he could be a Khan type who got lucky for a couple years. It's simply too early to tell. Elway may be better than Thompson, he may just have started strong.

IMO it is *NOT* to early to tell who is the better GM type between Thompson and Belichek. IMO it's not even that close.

How big a difference in the two? Well, based on their respective track records, I would be wholly unsurprised if the overall accomplishments of Belichek in this offseason will, despite the lost draft pick because of Deflategate, be better than those of Thompson.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
8 years ago
Ted got on the plane this morning for his vacation didn't he?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

Firstly, how'd you get that percentage?

Secondly, I don't get how a team like the Patriots manages to get a good mix in FA additions and solid draft picks, which keeps them at the top 4 teams in the NFL year - in, year-out, yet we have to keep all our money locked up in a vault so we can carry over a couple of millions to pay our own guys.

I get the necessity of resigning our own, but it's also clear that this year's draft alone isn't going to get us over the top.

Of course, there's no need to panic. There's a lot of FA left and a big portion of the signings today have been for ridiculous amounts of money.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

1: cheating

2: owner with big pockets, who can pay a little extra on the side via endorsement contracts, etc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.