DoddPower
8 years ago

I agree to a certain extent. The thing is, Perry most likely won't bring anything to the table this year, either. He's just not that good (in a 3-4). We could've invested that in someone like McClain, who would've been a better band-aid at a position we needed it more.

And then Trevathan himself is a young guy who, currently, looks like a bargain.

Who do we resign who has the same potential impact as Tevathan potentially has? I mean, we signed a guy like Bulaga to a 5 year, $34 million contract. That makes him the 2nd highest paid RT on average. Contracts like that are hurting us a lot more than giving a FA ILB a 4 year, $24,5 contract. Especially since he signed a deal which allows the Bears to pretty safely cut him after the first two years.

Add to that that Peppers' $10 million cap hit will be gone next year (which I agree with you, is way too much for this year), the cap will rise by about $10 million, Sitton and Lang will have a lower cap hit with the way our FO likes to backload contracts, Lacy won't be as expensive as first thought if he keeps his work ethic up.... If we WANTED him, we could've gotten him easily.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I disagree with you on Perry. He is a contributor. He is probably the Packers best run defending LB, and he provides some pass rush. Was any Packers pass rusher better than him in this playoffs the past season when it mattered most? I would contend that if he can ever stay healthy, he's one of the Packers best pass rushers. (that's either a good or bad thing.) I realize he can never stay healthy, and that's fair enough, but he is undoubtedly a decent player that can contribute, and that Packers obviously agree. Perhaps he hasn't lived up to his late first round grade, but that doesn't mean he sucks. Lots of players don't live up to their first round draft status necessarily, but it doesn't mean they don't deserve another chance at contributing to a team. There is a chance Perry is still ascending, so it's worth the relatively minor risk of $5 million for one year, regardless of any other players the Packers do or do not sign.

Ultimately, I absolutely agree with you regarding the fact that if the Packers wanted Trevathan, they could have had him, or at least seriously pursued him. Perry's contract is irreverent in that regard. There are always things that can happen to find room for a player a team really wants. The reality here is that Ted Thompson must have not really wanted Trevathan, at least for his market price. That may be a good or bad decision, but it appears to be the reality. If he was interested at all, I'm sure he would have at least called.

I would personally like Julius Peppers cut and someone else brought in like Trevathan. However, I do think Trevathan is a little overrated, and I can understand why Ted Thompson passed on him.
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago

I would personally like Julius Peppers cut and someone else brought in like Trevathan. However, I do think Trevathan is a little overrated, and I can understand why Ted Thompson passed on him.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I am surprised that this has not been brought up more. $10.5M is a bit crazy for a guy that at this age needs to be used in a limited role. With only $2.5M of dead cap space if cut it may make sense to cut him if he doesn't want to restructure. Athletically he may be able to go two years on limited reps. Maybe he would agree to restructure if we add a second year?

isocleas2
8 years ago

I am surprised that this has not been brought up more. $10.5M is a bit crazy for a guy that at this age needs to be used in a limited role. With only $2.5M of dead cap space if cut it may make sense to cut him if he doesn't want to restructure. Athletically he may be able to go two years on limited reps. Maybe he would agree to restructure if we add a second year?

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Pass rushers make big money, besides corners usually the highest paid guy on defense plays DE/OLB. I don't have any statistics to back me up but i'd love to see how Peppers graded out last year. Imo he was still playing at a high level and if released some team would pay him 5mil+, I don' t know if he'd hit 10.5 but he might get pretty close to that.
DoddPower
8 years ago

Pass rushers make big money, besides corners usually the highest paid guy on defense plays DE/OLB. I don't have any statistics to back me up but i'd love to see how Peppers graded out last year. Imo he was still playing at a high level and if released some team would pay him 5mil+, I don' t know if he'd hit 10.5 but he might get pretty close to that.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Other than his 10-something sacks last season, the guy was largely invisible. He would occasionally make a play and then disappear. He's nothing more than a situational pass rusher at this point, imo. He's still a decent contributing player, but he's not worth his current salary for a team that is somewhat tight on cap space like the Packers.
Cheesey
8 years ago
So....if the guy REALLY wanted to come here, he could have told his agent he was interested in coming to GB.
Tell his agent to contact Ted and see if anything could be worked out.
That's what I would have done, at least.
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
8 years ago

Other than his 10-something sacks last season, the guy was largely invisible. He would occasionally make a play and then disappear. He's nothing more than a situational pass rusher at this point, imo. He's still a decent contributing player, but he's not worth his current salary for a team that is somewhat tight on cap space like the Packers.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Peppers also forced some key fumbles as well.

I'd be willing to argue that Peppers has been more of an asset to our D than Clay the last 2 years.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

So....if the guy REALLY wanted to come here, he could have told his agent he was interested in coming to GB.
Tell his agent to contact Ted and see if anything could be worked out.
That's what I would have done, at least.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Yeah and his agent could have said he will play for the league minimum while he was at it. That's not how it works. You don't see too many "Andre Dawson blank contracts". It is up he the GM of the team to contact the player's agent and make the inquiry/offer not the other way around.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
8 years ago

Peppers also forced some key fumbles as well.

I'd be willing to argue that Peppers has been more of an asset to our D than Clay the last 2 years.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

I don't think so, especially last season. Julius Peppers made a bigger impact the season before last, but he was not a great player last year. Although I do agree that neither was Clay Matthews. I think Clay is a very overrated player, especially at OLB. I think he needs to stay inside in a hybrid role.

I'm not saying Julius Peppers wasn't a useful player last season. But I am saying he's only going to be worse this season, and he's overpaid for the level of consistent production that he delivers, which is very inconsistent. A splash play here and there, and then nothing for long stretches.
steveishere
8 years ago
Peppers racked up some sacks the last couple years yeah but while everyone was blaming the d-lineman for the long runs teams were getting against us a lot of the time the blame should have been put on Peppers. He hasn't held the edge against the run well at all in his time here and he does bring some impact plays here and there but his pass rush is very inconsistent. Love having the guy on the team but over 10m is too steep for what he's bringing.
DoddPower
8 years ago

Peppers racked up some sacks the last couple years yeah but while everyone was blaming the d-lineman for the long runs teams were getting against us a lot of the time the blame should have been put on Peppers. He hasn't held the edge against the run well at all in his time here and he does bring some impact plays here and there but his pass rush is very inconsistent. Love having the guy on the team but over 10m is too steep for what he's bringing.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Yeah, he should just be a situational pass rusher at this point. His snaps need to be cut back. I guess I can't blame the coaching staff though. The guy is available and almost always healthy. That's rare for the Packers. It has to be nice as a coach to have such an available player. I still think the Packers could have shaved his salary down a little.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.