MintBaconDrivel
8 years ago
Your thoughts?

[list=1]
  • By Competition Committee; Permanently moves the line of scrimmage for Try kicks to the defensive team’s 15-yard line, and allows the defense to return any missed Try.

• By Competition Committee; Permits the offensive and defensive play callers on the coaching staffs to use the coach-to-player communication system regardless of whether they are on the field or in the coaches’ booth.

• By Competition Committee; Makes all chop blocks illegal.

• By Competition Committee; Disqualifies a player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls.

• By Competition Committee; Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line.

• By Baltimore; to amend Rule 5, Section 3, Articles 1 and 2 (Changes in Position) to require players to wear jersey vests with numbers appropriate for their positions.

• By Baltimore; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (Instant Replay) to provide each team with three challenges and expand reviewable plays.

• By Buffalo; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (Instant Replay) to permit a coach to challenge any official's decision except scoring plays and turnovers.

• By Carolina; to amend Rule 8, Section 2, Article 1 (Intentional Grounding) to expand the definition of intentional grounding.

• By Kansas City; to amend Rule 14, Section 2, Article 1 (Half-distance Penalty) to add penalty yards to the distance needed to gain a First Down.

• By Kansas City; to amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2 (Legal Forward Pass) to prohibit quarterbacks from falling to the ground, getting up, and throwing a forward pass.

• By Minnesota; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 1 (Coaches' Challenge) to eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Replay challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.

• By Washington; to amend Rule 16, Section 1, Articles 1, 4, 6 and 7 (Overtime procedures) to eliminate overtime periods in preseason games.

• By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 4 (Reviewable Plays) to subject personal foul penalties to Instant Replay review.

• By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 1 (Coaches' Challenge) to eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Replay challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.

• By Competition Committee; Expands the horse collar rule to include when a defender grabs the jersey at the nameplate or above and pulls a runner toward the ground.

• By Competition Committee; Makes it a foul for delay of game when a team attempts to call a timeout when it is not permitted to do so.

• By Competition Committee; Eliminates the five-yard penalty for an eligible receiver illegally touching a forward pass after being out of bounds and re-establishing himself inbounds, and makes it a loss of down.

• [*]By Competition Committee; Eliminates multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession.[/list]
    Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
    UserPostedImage
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    8 years ago
    Not too much here. I do agree that it is dumb to require a team to win both challenges before they are awarded a third challenge. We have seen the refs blow an obvious call and force teams to use their last challenge.
    I would prefer the NFL to use the MLB method of review. Have the official put on the headset and talk to the NFL office back in NYC or some studio somewhere. They can have 20 high def tvs look at multiple angles all at the same time.
    UserPostedImage
    sschind
    8 years ago
    I like #10. I always hated the half the distance crap. 1st and 10 from your own 2 yard line. Personal foul on the offense Wow 1st and 11 from the 1. Big punishment. Make it first and 25 or at the very least make the down count. on the opposite and of the field if you can't march off the full yards against the defense put it at the one. 1st and goal from the 10. Personal foul on the defense make it first and goal from the one not the 5.

Another rule I always hated was the automatic first down on some defensive penalties. 3rd and 20 from your own 20, defensive holding 5 yards and an automatic first down. I can see that one though as it would simply encourage holding by the defense on any third down pass play over 5 yards. I'd rather see 5 yards maybe even 10 and replay the down like most penalties. If the yards make it past the first down marker then fine if not march off the yards and give them the down over. This would need some tweaking. Definitely down on the half the distance one though.
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    8 years ago

I like #10. I always hated the half the distance crap. 1st and 10 from your own 2 yard line. Personal foul on the offense Wow 1st and 11 from the 1. Big punishment. Make it first and 25 or at the very least make the down count. on the opposite and of the field if you can't march off the full yards against the defense put it at the one. 1st and goal from the 10. Personal foul on the defense make it first and goal from the one not the 5.

Another rule I always hated was the automatic first down on some defensive penalties. 3rd and 20 from your own 20, defensive holding 5 yards and an automatic first down. I can see that one though as it would simply encourage holding by the defense on any third down pass play over 5 yards. I'd rather see 5 yards maybe even 10 and replay the down like most penalties. If the yards make it past the first down marker then fine if not march off the yards and give them the down over. This would need some tweaking. Definitely down on the half the distance one though.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

First comments are fine. I agree.

The holding penalty as you want it would be a problem if it is not a first down too. Instead of 10 yards or more like the PI they give only 5 AND the first down as the penalty. There are still a ton of plays where the DB is grabbing the receiver when he makes his break. Without the first down kicker there will be twice as many DBs holding. Any defense would gladly give up 5 yards instead of a potential 20-30 yards or maybe a TD. That is why they are so willing to grab under the current rule.

UserPostedImage
    TheKanataThrilla
    8 years ago
    "Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line." Is this on punts and Kick Offs? Why did they move up the kick off spot resulting in less returns only now to penalize the team for kicking it into the endzone? I thought with the concussion issues the league wanted less returns on punts and kick offs?
    sschind
    8 years ago

First comments are fine. I agree.

The holding penalty as you want it would be a problem if it is not a first down too. Instead of 10 yards or more like the PI they give only 5 AND the first down as the penalty. There are still a ton of plays where the DB is grabbing the receiver when he makes his break. Without the first down kicker there will be twice as many DBs holding. Any defense would gladly give up 5 yards instead of a potential 20-30 yards or maybe a TD. That is why they are so willing to grab under the current rule.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I get that. Maybe there is no way to make it so that the holding wouldn't be the better option for the DB. It just seems overly harsh to me. It may be harshest penalty there is for the infraction. Maybe its because it can be such a game changer that it seems that way.
    TheKanataThrilla
    8 years ago

I get that. Maybe there is no way to make it so that the holding wouldn't be the better option for the DB. It just seems overly harsh to me. It may be harshest penalty there is for the infraction. Maybe its because it can be such a game changer that it seems that way.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I dislike it because it seems to be able to be called on any play. It allows too much ability of the refs to manipulate the game in my opinion.
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    8 years ago

I dislike it because it seems to be able to be called on any play. It allows too much ability of the refs to manipulate the game in my opinion.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Just like holding by the OL? There are penalties on every single play if the Refs want to make the call. Some crews are more than willing to call everything. Other crews swallow the whistle.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
    Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
    Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
    Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
    dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
    Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
    Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
    dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
    Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
    beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
    Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
    dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
    buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
    Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
    dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
    Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
    Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
    Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
    beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
    dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.