PackerTraxx
8 years ago
So now that Raji is taking a year off do you think Ted Thompson priority is a DT in the draft, if possible? I do, he seems to like big bodies.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Rockmolder
8 years ago

So now that Raji is taking a year off do you think Ted Thompson priority is a DT in the draft, if possible? I do, he seems to like big bodies.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

I think he almost has to. Raji is gone, Pennel is suspended for four games (and is nothing more than a rotational player) and we have a kid who's bounced around a couple of practice squads in William Campbell.

We do have Letroy, who is a decent player, but one that you can surely upgrade from. Ideally, he'd be the 2nd NT in a rotation.

Effectively we have one average NT for the first four games, who's joined by a decent back-up NT thereafter.

If Ted doesn't do something (in the draft), it's going to be a long season on defense. NT is one of the main building blocks for a succesful 3-4. Maybe we'll scheme around it a bit, going with even more 2-man fronts, but that certainly wouldn't make our run defense any prettier.

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
It is a great year for DT in the draft, though, which is nice. If Thompson wanted (not that I expect this) he could pick up two quite good DL, one in the first two rounds, one sometime between the third and his last comp pick. Apart from WR, DT is probably the deepest position in this draft.

There's a fairly large gap between those who are top 20 quality and those who are mid-second, so if he stands pat at #27, he'll probably be getting late-2nd quality. But there are a couple who might fall to #20 or so if he wants to and can trade up and a lot of #45-50 quality when the Pack's 2nd round pick comes around. He won't get my guy Billings without going up 5-15 picks in round 1, but there's Butler,Nkedemiche, Rankins, Bullard, Reed, Clark, Johnson, C Jones, Hargrave, Ridgeway, Day, a couple of which will probably stay on board into mid/late 3rd.

And there's this really tough dude out of Ferris State, can't remember his name. Didn't get Combine invite, but the guy has some of the physical tools of Dontari Poe (46 or 48 reps in the bench) plus some quickness -- I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go to someone as high as the 4th or end up being an absolute steal in the 6th.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
I think how much of a priority comes down to how they feel about Josh Boyd.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Rockmolder
8 years ago

I think how much of a priority comes down to how they feel about Josh Boyd.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Totally forgot about him.
beast
8 years ago
NT are extremely important for the 3-4 base packages, but the 3-4 base has been in slow decline as the passing game has increased and 3-4 defense go to their pass rush sub package 2-4 package (which plays just like a 4-2 package).

But the 3-4 base package is normally on the field less than 30% of the time these days. So while a good NT would be nice, I think teams are moving away from them and more to DTs (which have more movement and pass rush than just NT , who mainly just clog up the run lanes with less pass rush)..

This year has great DL depth, so if a possible great one falls to your early, take them, but you can also wait until later and pick up a couple of guys that need to develop some but could become more later on.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

NT are extremely important for the 3-4 base packages, but the 3-4 base has been in slow decline as the passing game has increased and 3-4 defense go to their pass rush sub package 2-4 package (which plays just like a 4-2 package).

But the 3-4 base package is normally on the field less than 30% of the time these days. So while a good NT would be nice, I think teams are moving away from them and more to DTs (which have more movement and pass rush than just NT , who mainly just clog up the run lanes with less pass rush)..

This year has great DL depth, so if a possible great one falls to your early, take them, but you can also wait until later and pick up a couple of guys that need to develop some but could become more later on.

Originally Posted by: beast 

We got it done with Guion two years ago, but it is not the preferred scenario.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
8 years ago
I think it is a priority now and possibly the #1 priority because of the Pennel suspension and the uncertainty of Boyd.
This is the perfect draft class to have this as a priority as well because there are plenty of big guys to fill the vacancy the Packers have.

If we are talking first round, you probably have to go with someone like Rankins or Reed.

If they wait till the 2-4 rounds, they still have a good amount of choices there. Possibly Robinson and definitely guys like Clark or Washington.
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

I think it is a priority now and possibly the #1 priority because of the Pennel suspension and the uncertainty of Boyd.
This is the perfect draft class to have this as a priority as well because there are plenty of big guys to fill the vacancy the Packers have.

If we are talking first round, you probably have to go with someone like Rankins or Reed.

If they wait till the 2-4 rounds, they still have a good amount of choices there. Possibly Robinson and definitely guys like Clark or Washington.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I don't think they'll get a DT in the first unless they love a guy, because with this draft you can still get very good ones later... I think they should be looking for two DL... because it sounds like Datone is moving to OLB and replacing Neal, Raji is gone, not sure how healthy Boyd will be, and Pennel is missing 4 games and might be in the coaches dog house.

The Packers have two solid vets (Daniels / Guion), two questions marks (Pennel / Boyd), and three that have not yet made a 53 man NFL roster (Ringo / McBryde / Drew) for 5 or 6 spots on the Packers 53 man roster (which Pennel won't be on for the first 4 games). So as of right now (best case) is that Ringo is the top backup DL for Packers..

Also factor in that the NFL has seemed to start the season off with a couple of rivalry or playoff match ups for the first couple of weeks the last few years...

So yeah, despite the hype of needing TEs and ILBers.... the higher priorities might be DL, backup OT and OLB
DL: because they're lacking quality depth
OT: because Bulaga rarely plays all 16 games, and last season they didn't seem to have OT depth (unless maybe they're moving Tretter there full time) and only 2 of the top 6 OL are signed for 2017.
OLB: Packers only have two OLBers signed for 2017, so some depth for a safety blanket needed in case Peppers retires, Perry and Datone are too expensive to resign.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
8 years ago

I don't think they'll get a DT in the first unless they love a guy, because with this draft you can still get very good ones later... I think they should be looking for two DL... because it sounds like Datone is moving to OLB and replacing Neal, Raji is gone, not sure how healthy Boyd will be, and Pennel is missing 4 games and might be in the coaches dog house.

The Packers have two solid vets (Daniels / Guion), two questions marks (Pennel / Boyd), and three that have not yet made a 53 man NFL roster (Ringo / McBryde / Drew) for 5 or 6 spots on the Packers 53 man roster (which Pennel won't be on for the first 4 games). So as of right now (best case) is that Ringo is the top backup DL for Packers..

Also factor in that the NFL has seemed to start the season off with a couple of rivalry or playoff match ups for the first couple of weeks the last few years...

So yeah, despite the hype of needing TEs and ILBers.... the higher priorities might be DL, backup OT and OLB
DL: because they're lacking quality depth
OT: because Bulaga rarely plays all 16 games, and last season they didn't seem to have OT depth (unless maybe they're moving Tretter there full time) and only 2 of the top 6 OL are signed for 2017.
OLB: Packers only have two OLBers signed for 2017, so some depth for a safety blanket needed in case Peppers retires, Perry and Datone are too expensive to resign.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Hopefully they will sign TE Cook and that should be sufficient with a healthy WR core unless a steal emerges in the draft. ILB will still be a need, but that would allow them to draft the best available players as the draft unfolds, which is how it should be.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (31m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (6h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.