buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
These lists just go to show what a crapshoot the draft can be.

No matter who The GM is.

Nobody knows which player will be a game changer or a bust.

Drafting at the bottom of the round makes it even more difficult.

From all reports the 2016 draft is loaded with big guys on both sides of the line.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ted trade out of the 1st round to position The Packers to pick up a couple D and O lineman.

Sure is nice to have those 2 extra picks sitting at the end of the 4th rnd.

Lots of value at rb and wr at that point of the draft.

I've been reading through the threads about all the glaring holes The Packers have.

Not sure if I agree, my hope is that Ted drafts and signs guys who will be able to transition into the pro game and can keep the improvement going on ST's while developing their crafts.

No quick fixes when you are a draft and develop team.

Busts are going to happen, it's the GM who continually find those late round and UDFA guys who turn out to be gems , that are the successful ones who keep their team competitive year after year.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
macbob
8 years ago

I still don't like calling players that had career changing injuries early on bust... because it's unclear what would of happen without the injuries.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I agree with you, except for someone who's coming out of college injured and you draft him anyway. Then (no fault of the player), I'd rate the GM drafting him in the first round a bust.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

I agree with you, except for someone who's coming out of college injured and you draft him anyway. Then (no fault of the player), I'd rate the GM drafting him in the first round a bust.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

True, unless what ends the career of that player is your own training staff.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rockmolder
8 years ago

My problem with Harrell and the injury label, is that while he was often injured in college, they were often rather minor and one year and should be all healed up things. And the injury that took him out, was a HUGE back injury which happened while attempting to lift too much while in the Packers weight room...

So while it seems everyone list Harrell as a bust, I list that back injury as the real reason and it wasn't the same as his pre-draft history of injuries which were all minor ones. So I put that more on the Packers post draft, than the predraft stuff. Also rumor had it that lead to the trainers firing because the review of what happened felt like the trainers fault...

Originally Posted by: beast 

I agree. Ted got a lot of crap for taking Harrell, but I feel like a lot of it is rather unfair.

Next to the fact that he got injured, he was also a reach according to a lot of experts. If a player like that pans out, you're a genius for recognizing "hidden talent". Thinking about Clay here. If that player doesn't develop the criticism is twice as hard.

I feel like Justin had a ridiculous amount of potential. He could move for a 6'4, 315 guy. A bad pick in hindsight, but not one you can truly blame Ted Thompson for.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

I agree. Ted got a lot of crap for taking Harrell, but I feel like a lot of it is rather unfair.

Next to the fact that he got injured, he was also a reach according to a lot of experts. If a player like that pans out, you're a genius for recognizing "hidden talent". Thinking about Clay here. If that player doesn't develop the criticism is twice as hard.

I feel like Justin had a ridiculous amount of potential. He could move for a 6'4, 315 guy. A bad pick in hindsight, but not one you can truly blame Ted Thompson for.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

If a GM is going to "reach" for a player he is gambling and has to be prepared for the fall out if he is wrong.

Normally I give a player a pass when he is injured. Not so for Harrell. I consider him a bust even if he hurt himself in the weight room. I don't give players who don't pan out a pass if they are a tweener and can't play the position they are drafted for or the coaches catch teach them their teams schemes. Harrell failed while under the guidance of the Packers organization. Mainly because he had injury issues when they selected him. That is why he was a reach. Other teams took a pass on him because they were concerned about his history. In the first round you better be sure of the player you are taking. If you want to gamble do so in the 3rd or 4th rounds not the first.

Saying it is not Harrell's fault is like saying Ryan Leaf wouldn't have been a bust if he had a better coach. There is usually not just one reason a player fails.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Other teams phoned the Packers on the Justin Harrell pick believing he was going to be a stud. Justin Harrell couldn't help that he was injured. Absolutely naive to label him a bust. Then again, what do we define bust as? If a 'bust' is simply a player drafted in the first half the draft and didn't produce for the team that drafted them, then sure he's a bust.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

If a GM is going to "reach" for a player he is gambling and has to be prepared for the fall out if he is wrong.

Normally I give a player a pass when he is injured. Not so for Harrell. I consider him a bust even if he hurt himself in the weight room. I don't give players who don't pan out a pass if they are a tweener and can't play the position they are drafted for or the coaches catch teach them their teams schemes. Harrell failed while under the guidance of the Packers organization. Mainly because he had injury issues when they selected him. That is why he was a reach. Other teams took a pass on him because they were concerned about his history. In the first round you better be sure of the player you are taking. If you want to gamble do so in the 3rd or 4th rounds not the first.

Saying it is not Harrell's fault is like saying Ryan Leaf wouldn't have been a bust if he had a better coach. There is usually not just one reason a player fails.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

One might legitimately claim it was the incompetence of the training staff that cost Harrell his career.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

One might legitimately claim it was the incompetence of the training staff that cost Harrell his career.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

And that is the Packers organization. Some guy doesn't walk in off the street and start having the players lift weights.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He was hurt when he was in college, he was hurt when he was drafted.
One might legitimately claim that he was just a piss poor pick.

nerdmann
8 years ago

He was hurt when he was in college, he was hurt when he was drafted.
One might legitimately claim that he was just a piss poor pick.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

He tore his bicep in college. Still played another game with it too.

If a dude has an injury history, is it not incumbent upon the trainers to be EXTRA careful with him?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (42m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.