yooperfan
8 years ago
The number of ads during a tv broadcast and the number of flags thrown during a game is disengaging me from the NF L.
If it wasn't for the Packers, I would probably forget about it.
nerdmann
8 years ago

The lockout wasn't "greed".

The contract between the NFLPA and NFL expired (as it should). If you expected anything but barbs from the union or league you are fooling yourself. It negotiation tactics..

The NCAA is a FAR more corrupt shit machine than the NFL. So how you could prefer that I have no idea. (Why the fuck am I going in debt to pay my tuition while they build a 30-million dollar stadium?)

Edit: TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MILLION DOLLAR RENOVATION.

The NFL rule changes brought on the the lawsuits of the players.. The same entitled shits who's free education apparently isn't good enough to teach them repeated head trauma is bad for long term health.

You can't not like one but like the other. Because it's mostly the same shitheads

As far as protecting the QB.. It is a little nuts at times, but it is a good change. They are too important to not only the franchise's success but also the players around him. Having a rotation of backup QBs greatly diminishes the earning potential of the players around him.

Not to mention the shitty boring sloppy games. There are not 32 NFL QBs worthy of starting at any given time.. And it is apparent how losing the QB potentially dooms a season.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

Yes, QBs are very important. Because of all the rules favoring the passing game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
8 years ago

Completely respect your opinion sschind, and that is more or less what it has become for me, not a passion just another form of entertainment.

Thing is, it is the core game of football, the intimate chess match that has fueled over 4 decades of craziness... and yes, many of the changes do impact the game greatly. But yes, that does make a run like the Broncos had late last season even more special, as the cards are stacked against them more in the rule books. My counterpoint to that, I would like to see more of that style sprinkled in the weekly fantasy driven games of every weekend. Balance so to speak... not a league were if you have a talented QB, you have a built in advantage that takes more to overcome. Could the same not be said about passing offenses? Where the truly special ones stand out if the game isn't geared toward making more games shootouts with high octane passing games?

Just a couple numbers to put context to that continuing slide...

2015 -
League Pt - 11680
League Yards - 180566
Passing Yards - 124847
Comp % - 62.99%
Pass TD - 842
INT - 436
TD/INT Ratio - 1.93

League Avg 1990 -1995
League Pt - 8946
League Yards - 141452
Passing Yards - 92010
Comp % - 56.02%
Pass TD - 561
INT - 490
TD/INT Ratio - 1.14

2005 -
League Pt - 10556
League Yards - 161751
Passing Yards - 104168
Comp % - 59.46%
Pass TD - 644
INT - 506
TD/INT Ratio - 1.27

From the 90's to last season - 39,000 plus more yards a season... and almost 33,000 of them passing yards. Points up over 30%... 2 to 1 ratios of TD to Picks. The 2005 marker gives some idea of the trend.. year by year they are slowly tilting the scales. In 1996 they started to enforce the 5 yard rule with much more scrutiny, that slowly bumped the numbers... then they added all the candy ass QB rules throughout the next decade to get to the track meets of today.

Yes, in the end, it is still and offense against a defense... but it is a loaded game to lend to fantasy football and the casual fans. Again... making the teams with talented QB's at even more of an advantage.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

If he game isn't geared towards it then yes the truly special passers and receivers do stand out but the game is geared towards it. I understand that this is the major complaint of some people but it is what it is. I think it was also inevitable. There is a reason why soccer is not more popular in the US and part of it is that people don't like games where the score is 1-0. There is a reason basketball teams can't play defense and its because fans like 120-115 games and not 85-80 games. The leagues give the fans what they want. Granted not all fans want this but it must be the majority of them because that's the way the rules are sending the games and he games are more popular now than ever, at least in the NFL. It will take a lot to kill off the die hard fans. Even if they don't like the direction the games are headed the vast majority will still tune in so it makes sense for the league to try to cater to the casual fan. You mention the "slide but to a lot of fans it is not a slide it is a climb.

sschind
8 years ago

Wade that is the whole problem. NFL Inc dumbs down the rules because they would rather have 100 million casual fans- most who never picked up the ball. Than 5 million fans who know the history of the game and came home after dark with mud on their pants, blood on their face and their shirt ripped and stretched 3 sizes larger than it was when they left home that morning.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

If you were a business wouldn't you rather have 100 million customers than 5 million. I just don't see all this hatred towards the NFL and its owners for wanting to make money and changing their product so it sells better. Like I said in another post, a few people see it as a problem but with the game gaining in popularity our opinions seem to be in the minority. Yes, I preferred the old product but to me its inevitable change. When the game changes so much that a Packer game fails to entertain me that's when I'll quit watching. Despite the changes that is a long way off for me. Or maybe it isn't. They could make a change in the next two years that makes me say screw it I'm done but so far they ain't even close.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

If you were a business wouldn't you rather have 100 million customers than 5 million. I just don't see all this hatred towards the NFL and its owners for wanting to make money and changing their product so it sells better. Like I said in another post, a few people see it as a problem but with the game gaining in popularity our opinions seem to be in the minority. Yes, I preferred the old product but to me its inevitable change. When the game changes so much that a Packer game fails to entertain me that's when I'll quit watching. Despite the changes that is a long way off for me. Or maybe it isn't. They could make a change in the next two years that makes me say screw it I'm done but so far they ain't even close.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

We know our opinion is in the minority. We are on a message board. We realize we can change a thing. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about it. After all there is nothing going on until the draft is here. We can still long for the "Old days and better ways". That said why should we care if NFL Inc makes more money or not? We don't get any of it. That won't preclude us from looking at the product and declaring it was better before they messed with the rules. The NFL is going to do whatever they want and there is nothing we can do about it. None of that answers Pack's question of what do you see in the game today that will help me enjoy it more.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

We know our opinion is in the minority. We are on a message board. We realize we can change a thing. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about it. After all there is nothing going on until the draft is here. We can still long for the "Old days and better ways". That said why should we care if NFL Inc makes more money or not? We don't get any of it. That won't preclude us from looking at the product and declaring it was better before they messed with the rules. The NFL is going to do whatever they want and there is nothing we can do about it. None of that answers Pack's question of what do you see in the game today that will help me enjoy it more.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

The old ways ARE the better ways. The game as it is right now is pandering to retards, and the product has questionable integrity.

There is no reason whatsoever that they couldn't make an equal amount of legit money by maintaining the integrity of the game. However it is much easier to profit illicitly by controlling and/or manipulating the outcome of games.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
The NFL Product ... what is the NFL product to me? It is this, and only this.

You want excitement? How about this!

Notice around 0:55 mark. You see how excited Aaron Rodgers is? THAT is what the product is.

Still not sold? Watch this and look at the excitement with Greg Jennings and then later a hopping Aaron Rodgers

These moments are what the NFL product is to me. I do not allow the media to make it more than a game among men. What happens with the dollars an cents behind closed doors should stay there. 99% of us cannot relate to the quantity of dollars being tossed around. We have no relative understanding of it whatsoever. None.

My attention is on the game itself, not the money, not the media riled up stories, the game, just the game. It is the chess match between OC vs DC, the strategy when they call plays (stupid to us) to set up the opponent up for something later in the game. And most importantly it is seeing men happier than a 5 year old on Christmas after they achieved something they worked harder than most of us could even dream of to obtain. That is the NFL product. That is what has me engaged.

UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago
My biggest concern is now the number of rules that favour the offense and the constant bitching by offensive players asking for a flag. It seems because there are so many rules and many are dodgy and/or can be called on every play. Now unless the game is a blowout every fan can argue that the refs cost them the game based on their own myopic view of the intereptation of the rules.

Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

The NFL Product ... what is the NFL product to me? It is this, and only this.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And the NFL to me has always been some of this as well:

Or more like this:

Or this... (around 23 seconds)

I really don't care about the media's takes, or that the fantasy leagues are demanding more scoring... the game itself is becoming watered down where a TD is worth less today than it was twenty years ago because the offenses have the favoritism of the rules.

Yeah, the two hail mary's were exciting... no doubt, but so is something like this. Becoming more and more rare these days in comparison to the offensive production.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
Wade, you compare Jerry Rice to Raymond Berry. I'd just like to add Don Hutson to that mix. It's incredible how the rules have changed favoring the offense. Great post.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (2h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (19h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.