Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago

Well done nerd. I am amazed anyone would put in this much effort.

I wish someone would convince Teddy that you don't take flyers before the 3rd or 4th round. And the 3rd is kind of pushing it.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You distinguish between a flyer (e.g. Khyri Thornton) and a reach, Wayne? I have a feeling that he may end up having to reach somewhat only because he can't get a trade partner that allows him to trade up/down for the right value. Especially if he has to stay put at #27 in the first.

To me an acceptable and often unavoidable reach is "up to half a round" for the top 50 picks, "up to 20-30 picks" for the top 100. Reaching more than that would fall into the "flyer" category. So, for example, I considered Mike Neal and Nick Perry reaches for where they were drafted, but'd have put Thornton, Jerel Worthy, Davante Adams all as flyers.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
beast
8 years ago

we don't (apparently) WANT guys who fit our scheme. Dom loves those 4-3 guys.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Maybe that's because they see the Packers defensive scheme as a 4-2 nickel defense, because that's what they run about 70% of the time as the NFL seem to be getting more and more pass happy and most (or maybe all) teams are running mostly a form of the 4-2 nickel package more than any other package.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

You distinguish between a flyer (e.g. Khyri Thornton) and a reach, Wayne? I have a feeling that he may end up having to reach somewhat only because he can't get a trade partner that allows him to trade up/down for the right value. Especially if he has to stay put at #27 in the first.

To me an acceptable and often unavoidable reach is "up to half a round" for the top 50 picks, "up to 20-30 picks" for the top 100. Reaching more than that would fall into the "flyer" category. So, for example, I considered Mike Neal and Nick Perry reaches for where they were drafted, but'd have put Thornton, Jerel Worthy, Davante Adams all as flyers.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

If I'm Ted and I'm in a conundrum like that at #27, BAM! Jaylon, baby!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

No a flyer and a reach are the same thing to me and I don't want to waste the first two rounds for sure and really the 3rd round too. Many of the busts GB has had occurred when Teddy tried to force the issue.

I understand outside the first 3-5 players taken, you will never draft a player exactly at the position value they are listed at. I also understand that the value that is attributed by the so called experts will differ, somethings a lot, from the value a specific team assigns to a player. But I can not see why a team, in the first round, would take a player that is rated 15-16 slots lower unless they are chasing a specific position and we know Teddy doesn't do that. He always takes TBPA. *wink wink*
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

You distinguish between a flyer (e.g. Khyri Thornton) and a reach, Wayne?

No a flyer and a reach are the same thing to me

I think often times flyer and reach are meant as the same thing, but I've also seen a few people use them differently.

The distinguish those people used was that a flyer is more of a term for a risky boom or bust type player with the player having a possibility of living up to or exceed where they were drafted but also could easily become a bust, and so it was more about taking a chance (or flyer) on their upside potential to possibly give you that return value. While reach was a term for a player you felt more certain about what they were going to deliver, and it might be good, but just not as good as one would normally expect with that level of a draft pick.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

I think often times flyer and reach are meant as the same thing, but I've also seen a few people use them differently.

The distinguish those people used was that a flyer is more of a term for a risky boom or bust type player with the player having a possibility of living up to or exceed where they were drafted but also could easily become a bust, and so it was more about taking a chance (or flyer) on their upside potential to possibly give you that return value. While reach was a term for a player you felt more certain about what they were going to deliver, and it might be good, but just not as good as one would normally expect with that level of a draft pick.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I understand what you are saying but why would anyone "reach" for a player unless they thought they could exceed their anticipated slot? Thus a "flyer" too. At least for me. I don't mind it if people want to distinguish between the two. They have that right.
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

I understand what you are saying but why would anyone "reach" for a player unless they thought they could exceed their anticipated slot? Thus a "flyer" too. At least for me. I don't mind it if people want to distinguish between the two. They have that right.

Normally it's a 3rd party who thinks the pick was a reach, such as some fans thought selecting Randall at 30 overall least year was a reach, while the Packers might disagree.

Personally I think drafting kickers/punters before the 4th round have been some of the biggest reaches in NFL history, but those that made the decisions might disagree.

But some of the reasons teams have reach for a pick

[list]
  • Because the team don't think it's a reach

• Because the team has a very large need at that position
  • (happens a lot with the QB position)

• Because the team really wants a certain player and doesn't think they'll make it to their next pick
  • (especially if you don't have a pick in the next round)

• Because the GM might not know how to evaluate players
  • (often the case when Owners or Money Market GMs are running the show)

• Can't find a decent trade back, and don't think any player is worth the selection
  • (Seahawks GM John Schneider, said they only rated 16 players in the 2015 draft as worthy of a first round pick and therefore their were going to be 16 reaches in the 2015 first round and that's why they traded their first round pick before the draft).
    [/list]
    UserPostedImage
    DarkaneRules
    8 years ago
    I'm always excited when we pick because I like being surprised about new players I've never heard of hopefully making a name for themselves in the NFL. Randall was amazing last year for a rookie. I was just in awe. He made mistakes here and there but you wouldn't see him make the same mistake twice.
    Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
    Yerko
    8 years ago

I'm always excited when we pick because I like being surprised about new players I've never heard of hopefully making a name for themselves in the NFL. Randall was amazing last year for a rookie. I was just in awe. He made mistakes here and there but you wouldn't see him make the same mistake twice.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I remember being both shocked and disturbed by last years draft when Ted went back to back with the cornerback picks AND selected two guys that I either didn't know much about (Randall) or who I thought was more like a 3rd round pick (Rollins).

Now I sit back and enjoy both these players wearing the Packers uniform and the Rollins pick is much better to me because my brother (a Bears fan) wanted Chicago to take him badly. Anytime Rollins makes a play, I let him know.

Nerd- thanks for the big board. A lot of good players coming out of this draft. I wouldn't be upset at all if the Packers went with Jaylon at #27. Unless there is a player who magically dropped to 27, why not?

Exciting to think about him playing for the Packers.
    UserPostedImage
    steveishere
    8 years ago

I remember being both shocked and disturbed by last years draft when Ted went back to back with the cornerback picks AND selected two guys that I either didn't know much about (Randall) or who I thought was more like a 3rd round pick (Rollins).

Now I sit back and enjoy both these players wearing the Packers uniform and the Rollins pick is much better to me because my brother (a Bears fan) wanted Chicago to take him badly. Anytime Rollins makes a play, I let him know.

Nerd- thanks for the big board. A lot of good players coming out of this draft. I wouldn't be upset at all if the Packers went with Jaylon at #27. Unless there is a player who magically dropped to 27, why not?

Exciting to think about him playing for the Packers.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

The draft threads from last year for those to specifically are some fun reading lol.
    Fan Shout
    Mucky Tundra (18m) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
    Mucky Tundra (19m) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
    Mucky Tundra (20m) : @DMRussini
    Mucky Tundra (20m) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
    beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
    Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
    wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
    Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
    Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
    Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
    beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
    beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
    beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
    beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
    Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
    Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
    Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
    beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
    dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
    beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
    dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
    dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
    beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
    dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
    Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
    Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
    Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
    Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
    Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
    beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
    Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.