warhawk
15 years ago

The time of that INT by Rodgers was bad. Yes, at the end it was meaningless, but when you throw an INT when you're one first down away from FG range, that's bad.

I do agree too much credit gets put on QB's shoulders, good and bad.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Well, the play was there and Urlacher made a heck of an effort on the ball.

At least it wasn't one of those down the middle passes thrown way to late into quadruple coverage. If we went over all those we've seen in the past it would take forever.

The guys got six whole INT's on the year which stands as the fewest of any QB with 15 or more TD's so from that perspective he's performing at a higher level than MOST of the others.

If he didn't make any mistakes he would be playing to not make them vs. trying to score and win and that's a bigger mistake than an occassional INT. Very occassional in this case too.
"The train is leaving the station."
Cheesey
15 years ago

The time of that INT by Rodgers was bad. Yes, at the end it was meaningless, but when you throw an INT when you're one first down away from FG range, that's bad.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I saw it differently. I don't believe we were in FG range. It WAS i believe 4th and 3, then we were backed up by a penalty. If we didn't get the first, it would be a long FG attempt. So i kind of saw it as a good punt. (Alot better then if Frost HAD punted)
Besides.......how many times did we see Favre do that same thing? Lots, as i recall. I didn't LIKE it, but i didn't see it that bad considering the situation.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

"Cheesey" wrote:

I saw it differently. I don't believe we were in FG range. It WAS i believe 4th and 3, then we were backed up by a penalty. If we didn't get the first, it would be a long FG attempt. So i kind of saw it as a good punt. (Alot better then if Frost HAD punted)
Besides.......how many times did we see Favre do that same thing? Lots, as i recall. I didn't LIKE it, but i didn't see it that bad considering the situation.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

It was 3rd and 8 on the 40, as I said we were one first down away from being in FG range.

Who cares about what Brett did? Not I, he's not our QB any longer.

That play Urlacher made, I thought it was good at first, but then seen he wasn't in full speed. He was more or less jogging and turned back. It was a nice play on the ball, but not great by any means.

How can you say it wasn't bad considering the situation? The score was 7 - 3 and if we would have had a five yard check down we could have had a shot at a 52 yard FG. That's points on the board that were not taken.

Now if no one was open, no check downs, yes, not bad at all because it pinned them on the 10 yard line.

But there's no way anyone can say it wasn't bad AT THE TIME because we only had a four point lead and we could have had a little check down or perhaps even a little five yard scamper by Rodgers to get us in FG range.

The game is won by who has most points, let's not forget that. :)

Hindsight is easy to say it wasn't a big deal, but I'm talking about at that time, 3rd down, eight to go, on the 40 just a few 5 or so yards shy of FG range and we turned it over.

Truth be told though, if we had gotten five yards and it was 4th and three, I'd have been saying 'GO FOR IT!!' lol ... 🙂
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"Cheesey" wrote:

It was 3rd and 8 on the 40, as I said we were one first down away from being in FG range.

Who cares about what Brett did? Not I, he's not our QB any longer.

That play Urlacher made, I thought it was good at first, but then seen he wasn't in full speed. He was more or less jogging and turned back. It was a nice play on the ball, but not great by any means.

How can you say it wasn't bad considering the situation? The score was 7 - 3 and if we would have had a five yard check down we could have had a shot at a 52 yard FG. That's points on the board that were not taken.

Now if no one was open, no check downs, yes, not bad at all because it pinned them on the 10 yard line.

But there's no way anyone can say it wasn't bad AT THE TIME because we only had a four point lead and we could have had a little check down or perhaps even a little five yard scamper by Rodgers to get us in FG range.

The game is won by who has most points, let's not forget that. :)

Hindsight is easy to say it wasn't a big deal, but I'm talking about at that time, 3rd down, eight to go, on the 40 just a few 5 or so yards shy of FG range and we turned it over.

Truth be told though, if we had gotten five yards and it was 4th and three, I'd have been saying 'GO FOR IT!!' lol ... :)

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

A lot of people have said it was a poor play and Rodgers underthrew it. I don't see it that way. I think Rodgers made the right decision in going for the long pass. But it's the way he throws the ball that was his undoing.

Rodgers has a tendency to throw the ball really flat. If you watch a lot of his throws, and especially early in the season, the zoomed camera following Rodgers' throw tends to overestimate the amount of lift that Rodgers gives the ball. This usually means quick short completions which is nice, but in this situation allowed Urlacher to make the jumping interception. If Rodgers didn't always have to throw it hard all the time, he might be sitting at 3 TD, 0 INT against the Bears.

I just hope Rodgers has learned a thing or two when his arm was really injured, to take some velocity off the ball and throw it with more touch.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
It was a bad throw, but in his defense he was moving forward and trying to throw deep. That's not the easiest of throws to make. Every QB makes poor throws, it happens from time to time.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago

It was a bad throw, but in his defense he was moving forward and trying to throw deep. That's not the easiest of throws to make. Every QB makes poor throws, it happens from time to time.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a good throw. I'm saying the way Rodgers throws, makes this sort of interception by undercutting the pass more prevalent than against other QBs, potentially.
blank
mi_keys
15 years ago
Everything about it was good except it wasn't far enough and had a little too little lift. Like Zero said it was a tough throw on the move but if he just gets a little bit more on it it is a touchdown which is what was frustrating about it. I disagree with the premise that he doesn't get lift on the ball either. Well at least not all the time. He certainly likes to throw it on a rope when that is available (the slants and other quick short passes or crossing routes where there is a lane). Still, he can get very good lift and drop it in there on his deep throws when he's on. Just watch his first long throw to Jennings against Minnesota, or the long throws to Driver against Atlanta, Jennings against Seattle, and Jennings yet again against Tennessee (the one where there was a bit of a pass interference but it was really hard to see in real time and so it didn't get called). Hell, the throw Lee dropped had a good trajectory too. Anyway, back to the subject. It could've been a big turning point but the team shrugged it off and Rodgers finished very strong and that was very good to see.
Born and bred a cheesehead
brnt247
15 years ago
Worse things have happened than a pick that puts them behind their own 20. It was unfortunate, but in the end it can be very similar to an incomplete pass and a punt.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago

Worse things have happened than a pick that puts them behind their own 20. It was unfortunate, but in the end it can be very similar to an incomplete pass and a punt.

"brnt247" wrote:

Thats kind of what i meant.
Yes, i wasn't happy about it at the time, as Zero said it was a close game at the time.
But i wasn't as upset as some past plays. Maybe i'm just mellowing out in my old age.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

"Cheesey" wrote:

Thats kind of what i meant.
Yes, i wasn't happy about it at the time, as Zero said it was a close game at the time.
But i wasn't as upset as some past plays. Maybe i'm just mellowing out in my old age.

"brnt247" wrote:

Definitely. I am just one of those weird people who doesn't like to miss out on any possible scoring opportunity, especially when we have only a four point lead. I know I"m down right silly for that theory! 😛 hah jus kidding.

It was a bad throw and that is going to happen from time to time. I'm more thankful it happened in a game that it was (at the end) a non factor to the outcome.

We won, that's all that really matters.
UserPostedImage