uffda udfa
7 years ago
This was excerpted from a Colts fan blog, StampedeBlue.com:

While I can relate to Jaguars fans viewing Ketchman's departure with sadness, for me Ketchman's insufferable homerism and intense dislike for Peyton Manning blinded him to any sense of objectivity when it came to analyzing football.

But, despite Vic's uninformed opinions, it is sad to see him go from the Jaguars organization, a place that he seemed to truly love and support as strongly as any Jags fan who watched games on Sunday

Over the years, we've called out several articles written by Vic that scream of utter stupidity. I'd expect this kind of stuff from any nonsensical Jaguars fan, but from someone with Ketchman's experience, the writing was lacking.

I've always been critical of Vic not because I think of myself as a better writer (I'm not), but because Vic seemed to dumb himself down to the level of any other deluded Jags fan. For someone like me, a fan blogger with a site dedicated to a franchise I love, I am allowed (and often encouraged!) to act like a buffoon when rooting for my team.

With Vic, his constant, unsupported, categorically-insane attacks directed at Peyton Manning and his excuse-making for a Jaguars organization that has been utterly irrelevant since Tom Coughlin was fired cost him any shred of credibility he might have had with me.

I understand he was a paid cheerleader, but there is a difference between someone 'cheerleading' by shaking a pom-pom while another runs onto the field naked and urinates on the opponent's marching band while screaming 'PEYTON'S A CHOKER!' One tact retains dignity and marginal objectivity, as John Oehser has done since he was laid off as a writer for the Colts.com website. The other doesn't.

Despite his ridiculous opinions and his inability to truly understand the game of football, I will give Vic BIG PROPS for doing what few team site writers do: Reach out to fans. His 'Ask Vic' column was often filled with idiotic rambling and mindless insults directed at the Colts and their players, but the man does deserve a ton credit for consistently reaching out to his team's fanbase and interacting with them.

It's likely for that reason that so many Jags fans are sad to see Vic go, and on that basis alone I don't blame them.

The positive here is Vic is going to another organization known for strong fan outreach. and while I have often clashed with Vic because, again, to me his writing is dog poop, I am happy he is working for a class organization with a deep, rich history.

My friend John Oehser often speaks well of Vic, which means that Vic is probably a good guy if one gets to know him. I've never met Vic. The only way I know him is through his writing, and when the only way I know someone is by how they insult Peyton, my opinion of them sinks a few feet. But regardless of my feelings about his ability to scribble opinions about football, Vic forged a strong bond to his readers. For that, he deserves applause.

We wish Vic luck with his new job and hope that, going forward, he'll now stop writing brainless articles about how much of a 'choker' Peyton Manning is.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Smokey
7 years ago
As Vic's paycheck comes from the Packers, I must filter the team bias against the more honest reporting of those not on the Packer payroll. When your a Rah Rah Yes Man, you don't rock the boat when it comes to saying anything negative about your employer .

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

UserPostedImage
musccy
7 years ago
If you want to bitch about a homer/cheerleader, bitch about McCarren, or even Spofford (although I think he's more nice than homer).

Vic isn't going to say "Davante and Ted suck." He works in the same building with them. He does encourage, and gives the audience clues to read between the lines. He's got an edge and sarcasm to him as well that I think make it more enjoyable and to me show he is willing to opine on issues.

He admits to what their weak spots are, cautioned people on the Jeff Janis train, was pretty open about the reason for the passing game struggles last year. As someone else mentioned, he also offers good perspective for when we're overreacting.

I value his viewpoint and opinion and think it's far from cheerleading. Again, he just can't be as blunt as someone at JSO or P.N.

nerdmann
7 years ago

If you want to bitch about a homer/cheerleader, bitch about McCarren, or even Spofford (although I think he's more nice than homer).

Vic isn't going to say "Davante and Ted suck." He works in the same building with them. He does encourage, and gives the audience clues to read between the lines. He's got an edge and sarcasm to him as well that I think make it more enjoyable and to me show he is willing to opine on issues.

He admits to what their weak spots are, cautioned people on the Jeff Janis train, was pretty open about the reason for the passing game struggles last year. As someone else mentioned, he also offers good perspective for when we're overreacting.

I value his viewpoint and opinion and think it's far from cheerleading. Again, he just can't be as blunt as someone at JSO or P.N.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Vic wasn't quite as bad this past year. Then again, maybe I'm just getting too old and losing my own edge. lol

McCarren for one thing has actually DONE IT in the past. At a high level. Even so, he does call the team out when they've played particularly shitty. I can recall a few times when Larry has pretty much said they looked like shit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
7 years ago

Vic wasn't quite as bad this past year. Then again, maybe I'm just getting too old and losing my own edge. lol

McCarren for one thing has actually DONE IT in the past. At a high level. Even so, he does call the team out when they've played particularly shitty. I can recall a few times when Larry has pretty much said they looked like shit.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He may be more objective on the radio, frankly I don't listen to that much since I'm not in WI anymore. However, watching his "Rock Reports" or whatever they're called on packers.com are 5 pounds of homer packed into a 3 pound bag.

nerdmann
7 years ago

He may be more objective on the radio, frankly I don't listen to that much since I'm not in WI anymore. However, watching his "Rock Reports" or whatever they're called on packers.com are 5 pounds of homer packed into a 3 pound bag.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

🤣

Yeah the only time I ever hear him is on the pregame shows.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
7 years ago

fix your dandelions.......... ....

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Heck no, I spent a lot of time getting them to where I want them. I feed them to my lizards.

sschind
7 years ago

I'm not sure why people give him such a hard time. What do you expect from him? He's a paid cheerleader. He's not going to publicly shame his employer or call them out. When I market for my company, I put a positive spin on everything because I'm trying to sell services and that's what I'm paid to do. It's no different for Vic. If you don't like what he does, then don't read or watch his material.

Michael Rodney goes on-and-on about Vic in a sarcastic way. Get over it. Acknowledge it for what it is and move on. He always tells his followers that if they don't like what he writes, then unfollow him and don't read his material, yet he doesn't seem to heed his own advice when it comes to Vic.

I never visit packers.com, but I'm not going to blast Vic for doing exactly what he is paid to do. He does the job he is supposed to do just like you and me.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I don't mind his comments about the Packers, I get that he is paid by the team. I just think he is kind of a dick (like someone else said earlier) He shoots down soccer fans (even if rightfully so) but then he prattles on about golf. If he doesn't care about something it doesn't matter but if does care about it its the best thing in the world.
IronMan
7 years ago
Vic Ketchman is one of those guys that fans hate, without really having a good reason to hate him. Kind of like Joe Buck. For whatever reason, it's trendy to hate him. Whenever I ask someone why they hate Joe Buck, it's always some stupid reason like,"Because he hates the Packers/he hates my team."

Every fan base thinks Joe Buck hates their team. I've never understood this. But it is pretty damn funny.

DakotaT
7 years ago

Vic Ketchman is one of those guys that fans hate, without really having a good reason to hate him. Kind of like Joe Buck. For whatever reason, it's trendy to hate him. Whenever I ask someone why they hate Joe Buck, it's always some stupid reason like,"Because he hates the Packers/he hates my team."

Every fan base thinks Joe Buck hates their team. I've never understood this. But it is pretty damn funny.

Originally Posted by: IronMan 

People hate Joe Buck because they don't think he earned what he has. He's there because of his father. It's kind of the same hatred that goes along with the silver spooned trust babies of this country.

Is any of that fair, I guess it's how a person perceives it?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (1h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (1h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (4h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (5h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (8h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (9h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (14h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (21h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (21h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (22h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Random Babble / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.