gotarace
7 years ago
Mike to conservative equals Teddy to Tightwad. If the shoe fits...
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Zero2Cool
7 years ago
“We weren’t maybe as aggressive as I would have liked.” says Mike McCarthy after today's win over the Jaguars.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago

“We weren’t maybe as aggressive as I would have liked.” says Mike McCarthy after today's win over the Jaguars.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Nooooo.
Say it ain't so Coach.
Look like a typical game for the GB offense.

However, being the first game of the year. On the road and in the heat and under the approach that so many NFL teams have during the preseason of not playing their starters very much along with having very little contact in practices, it only makes sense once you get the lead to just try and work the clock as much as possible.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
7 years ago
Why NFL Coaches Take No Chances
http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-nfl-coaches-take-no-chances-1482880499 

Saw this today in the WSJ and thought of the constant complaints about McCarthy being conservative.

For those of you that do not have a WSJ subscription, I'll highlight a couple items from the article below.

Overall, NFL coaches are not nearly aggressive enough according to third party mathematicians and economists based on win probability modeling. As an example, the rates at which teams convert two point conversions vs. the rates at which teams convert extra points would dictate going for two as the better option in most circumstances. As we all know, most teams only rarely go for two.

The WSJ performed an analysis of conservatism across NFL head coaches. They do not say much about their methodology other than the below:

The conservatism of coaches was determined by how they make decisions compared with the league average coach in three broad categories: 4th downs, general offensive and defensive playcalling (passing and blitzing for example), special teams (extra points and kickoffs/onsides). The expected score in each category is exactly zero (average aggressiveness). The higher the score, the more conservative the coach. Negative numbers mean more aggressive vs. league average. Game situations including score and time remaining in the game were taken into account.

WSJ wrote:

According to the WSJ analysis, McCarthy was the 5th most aggressive head coach on fourth down, 12th most aggressive in play calling, joint 3rd most aggressive with special teams, and the 3rd most aggressive overall.

Interestingly, Ben McAdoo, having coached under McCarthy from 2004 through 2013, was the most aggressive of all current NFL head coaches.

I found this interesting as it flies in the face of the constant criticism of McCarthy's conservatism on this forum, this thread being just one example. As I said above, they say very little about their methodology, so it's hard to comment on the WSJ's accuracy. Perhaps their data is wrong. Perhaps the sample size is too small. Perhaps the methodology is poor. I can't tell you.

But if there is merit to the WSJ analysis, it begs the question: why is McCarthy so widely viewed as conservative among Packer fans?

Are we rightly criticizing conservative decisions but failing to recognize how frequently those same conservative decisions are made across the league? We've had the same head coach for over a decade now. It becomes easier to judge McCarthy in a bubble every year we become further removed from our last head coach. One of my mates who is a Pats fan finds himself doing this with the Patriots. He bitches about decisions made by Belichick only to stop and remind himself how grossly more successful Belichick is than every other coach over the past several decades. And he asks himself how frequently these same complaints could be levied on other teams.

Do we remember a few instances of conservatism that have proved particularly haunting and thus over-inflate how often those decisions are made? I've seen several complaints about "prevent" defense against Chicago last week. I seem to recall a lot of five and six man blitzes in that fourth quarter (with none of them getting home). Maybe I'm misremembering, but if not, that's the opposite of a prevent defense. Are we retroactively filling in the Packers running a "prevent" defense because we've had such issues in the past?

Anyway, TL;DR, thought it was interesting that an outside analysis found McCarthy to be one of the most aggressive coaches in the NFL when we largely, myself included, do not see McCarthy that way.
Born and bred a cheesehead
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
mi_keys- does McCarthy get credit for calling blitzes? I have no doubt that he and Dom talk general concepts about how they want to approach a team. But I can't accept the fact that he tells his DC he wants to blitz more or less. Or even go into a prevent defense. Mike may tell the DC that he is playing too soft too soon or too aggressive in a game but other than that I can't see him getting into any kind of specifics.

What about the offense? Does this take into consideration a HC trying to burn the clock for the whole second half of a game that he is going away from the type of offense that got the team the lead. And that he has become very predicable by calling running plays almost exclusively? Especially one 1st and 2nd downs. That the play calls have put them into 3rd ad very long time after time?

If it survey doesn't factor these into his dynamics then their data is suspect.
UserPostedImage
luigis
7 years ago
How on earth do you lose the NFC game against Seattle without being conservative?

Let's see how the game started:

* 4-1-SEA 1 (8:10) M.Crosby 18 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Goode, Holder-T.Masthay
* 4-1-SEA 1 (5:10) M.Crosby 19 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Goode, Holder-T.Masthay.
* 4-1-SEA 22 (9:42) M.Crosby 40 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Goode, Holder-T.Masthay.

This is ULTRA MEGA DUPER conservative.
TWICE went for the FG at the 1 yard line of a rival that is always a problem for us.

I have a friend that is a Seahawks fan, after the 2nd FG from the 1 he said to me "we are going to win this one", I was afraid he was right...

Ok, You are 16-0 at halftime, when you should be 28-0 or 21-0.

Then:

* 4-1-GB 48 (11:05) T.Masthay punts 44 yards to SEA 8, Center-B.Goode. B.Walters to SEA 22 for 14 yards (J.Elliott).

Ok, let's try to accept you can eschew going for it from midfield if you are ahead. Wrong! An aggressive coach would have seen here a chance to end the game, you convert to you put even more points on the board and take even more time from the clock. You don't convert you have them at midfield, not so bad considering the punt only made a 26 yards difference.

We enter the 4th quarter 19-7

* (5:13) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short middle intended for J.Kearse INTERCEPTED by M.Burnett at GB 39. M.Burnett to GB 43 for 4 yards.Went down on his own.

This could have been a TD and Burnett goes down on his own with 5:13 on the clock!!! This is not only conservative, this is coward!
Ok, let's say we can blame Burnett for going down and not the coach (I have my doubts), let's see how you finish this game in style:

(5:04) (Shotgun) E.Lacy left tackle to GB 39 for -4 yards (K.Williams).
(4:57) (Shotgun) E.Lacy left tackle to GB 37 for -2 yards (M.Bennett).
(4:50) (Shotgun) E.Lacy up the middle to GB 39 for 2 yards (B.Wagner; M.Bennett)

WHAT THE HELL? This sounds like a team that is winning 42-0 or something... we just miled er... 14 seconds from the clock. And then we all knew what happened....

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Luis
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

How on earth do you lose the NFC game against Seattle without being conservative?

Originally Posted by: luigis 

If you watched the game, you can clearly see the players failed to execute multiple times. From Clinton-Dix on the fake field goal, to letting a WR get behind you, to Bostick going for the ball instead of boxing out on onsides kick, I mean, countless times where PLAYERS failed to do their job.

Amazing how far some will reach just to bash someone. Unreal.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago

If you watched the game, you can clearly see the players failed to execute multiple times. From Clinton-Dix on the fake field goal, to letting a WR get behind you, to Bostick going for the ball instead of boxing out on onsides kick, I mean, countless times where PLAYERS failed to do their job.

Amazing how far some will reach just to bash someone. Unreal.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think it's safe to say that both the coaching staff and the players were culpable in that disaster.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

I think it's safe to say that both the coaching staff and the players were culpable in that disaster.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

No one is disputing that, are they? No.

Let me be clear. I am saying we didn't lose that game because the coach was "ULTRA MEGA DUPER conservative".

This is where I'm coming from.

Seahawks
2014 15.9 (1st)
2013 14.4 (1st)
2012 15.3 (1st)

That means they don't give up many points.
That means when you can put points on the board, you put points on the board.
That means when you had three shots at (or inside) the 7 yard line (this happened TWICE) and fail to get a TD, you take the points.

What indication do you have that you're going to get it with one more try against the leagues best defense? You take the points.

Saying the score should have been 21 - 0, 28 - 0 at halftime? That's showing no respect to the other team and in my opinion, flat out wrong to do. Seattle was number one for multiple years for a reason!

Morgan Burnett sliding after his late 4th quarter interception was cowardly? I mean, seriously? COWARDLY? He was being instructed to slide by Julius Peppers, not Mike McCarthy. That's on the player, not the coach being conservative.

You're up by 12 points with 5 minutes left. You burn the clock and the other teams timeouts, obviously.

Punting the ball 30 yards? That's on the player, not the coach being conservative.

Bostick ignoring his responsibility on the onsides kick? That's on the player, not the coach being conservative.

Make no mistake about it, I do think McCarthy gets conservative at times. It's just not the reason we lost vs Seahawks in 2014 season. The Players had multiple opportunities to seal that game and failed.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago
Mike gets emotionally tight whenit's all on the line. That carries over to the team. They start to emotionally contract, and bad things happen.

We all felt the "Here we go again." So did the players.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (15h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (15h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (18h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (19h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (21h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (22h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.