wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Packers' Shields suffered concussion in opener

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

Packer News: 

Under the NFL’s concussion guidelines, Shields must now pass a series of tests before being allowed to practice again, and once he makes it through a practice must receive the go-ahead from a neurologist not associated with the team in order to play in a game. The media is prohibited from speaking to Shields at the team’s facility while he is in the concussion protocol.
Shields suffered a concussion against the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field on Dec. 13 and missed four games, returning for the team’s divisional playoff game at Arizona on Jan. 16. He said later that he blacked out as a result of hitting his head on the turf and suffered headaches for weeks afterward.

I am guessing he is out 2 weeks.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago
Nice knowing you Sam.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
7 years ago
I fear that his career is over.
Even if he is cleared to play again, he may just decide to walk away.
musccy
7 years ago

I fear that his career is over.
Even if he is cleared to play again, he may just decide to walk away.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

He gets 12.5 guaranteed from his contract and made about 4 from the last few years. Obviously I want him back, but I too would think about calling it a career if in his shoes.

Zero2Cool
7 years ago
I won't bore you with a lot of NASCAR Dale Earnhardt Jr details here, however, Dale Jr is probably done going left turn, left turn for a living because of concussions. Dale Jr didn't crash, but reported he was having some issues and turns out they were concussion like symptoms from an accident earlier in the season. Dale Jr wrecked mid June and later had 11th and 13th place finishes before realizing there was a problem. Or maybe before accepting there was a problem.

Point being here, concussions are no joke (as if you didn't know) and even though I'm a huge Dale Jr fan, I want him to retire. I'm starting to feel the same about Sam Shields.

The only way I would advocate Sam or Dale resuming their careers is if a doctor says they are at no more risk than someone without concussion issues.

A little rarely spoken fact about concussions. Once you get one, the second one is easier and its down hill from there. Eventually it'll take a hard sneeze to give you a concussion.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
7 years ago
The one past sideline slip concussion was a fluke; but proper technique will reduce Shield's risk of concussion close to zero. The guy is a CB for cripes sake.

Every year we hear, "back to basics...Fundamental football."

Well, how about if someone teaches Shields how to tackle; he leads with his head all the time when he is crashing from the side. I suspect his Jax "concussion" was his second in that game. And one day; he'll hurt his neck.

On the Yeldon TD, Shields was running parallel to LOS and stuck his head out in the path of Yeldon's thigh as he laid out, the thigh struck Shields' head knocking it toward endzone like he was hitting a croquet ball with a mallet. Shields helicoptered 90 degrees from the blow to his head. Shields looked up to see the TD, then he put his head on ground facemask first for a couple of seconds. Could have been disappointment the TD occurred; but I bet he got his bell rung there too.

When Shields is crashing from the side to fill the B or C gap; he MUST keep his head up. If he doesn't, bench him for a series to drive the concept home. We must have Shields, Randall, Daniels and CM3 for the Playoffs.
blueleopard
7 years ago
Seems like we have a good young CB/WR get taken away every other year due to a concussion or neck injury.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (7h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (23h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (23h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (23h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.