dfosterf
15 years ago

Thompson couldn't field a solid OL if you spotted him four solid OL.

That's coming from someone who trusts his moves, just not when it comes to the OL.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Well then... YOU should pick 'em... if you can run this board full of motley characters (yes, that not only includes me, but perhaps especially me :icon_smile: ) you can damn sure make a few draft picks. The only criteria in the event that you do get designated as "official GB draft picker"... well, ya gotta pick MY CHOICES :icon_smile: See how easy a job you got? :thumbleft:

The reason Ted can't field one, as you said, is because he has a severe case of "Anal Glaucoma of the offensive Lineman" HE JUST CAN'T SEE HIS ASS PICKING A GOOD ONE :thumbleft:
dhpackr
15 years ago
Colledge needs to be replaced on the line. he just is useless at LG.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
dfosterf
15 years ago

Colledge needs to be replaced on the line. he just is useless at LG.

"dhpackr" wrote:

Colledge MIGHT turn out to be a pretty decent left tackle, and Chad Clifton AND Mark Tauscher MIGHT be DONE after this year, and I'm not talking contracts. Spitz MIGHT be able to play a decent Right tackle. Conventional wisdom will be for us to go get a couple of Tackles in the draft to replace Cliffy and Tausch. I say conventional wisdom is wrong. I say we must start with superior "raw material" at both guard positions. I by no means guarantee acceptable performance out of either Colledge or Spitz at the tackle positions, but imo does suit what I perceive as their potential better than at guard. If we shitcan the whole front line, I'm cool with that, too, I don't like this one...Did I mention that?
porky88
15 years ago
I brought this up right after the Viking game and pretty much said what the headline says. Thompson is to blame for the offensive line woes. I like what he's done with everything, but the run game and pass rush.

To be honest, I want to see what Josh Sitton can do. I was encouraged by the little I saw.

I could maybe live with Jason Spitz as one guard.

The rest I could do without of. That includes Clifton, Tauscher, and Wells at this point.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Thompson couldn't field a solid OL if you spotted him four solid OL.

That's coming from someone who trusts his moves, just not when it comes to the OL.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Well then... YOU should pick 'em... if you can run this board full of motley characters (yes, that not only includes me, but perhaps especially me :icon_smile: ) you can damn sure make a few draft picks. The only criteria in the event that you do get designated as "official GB draft picker"... well, ya gotta pick MY CHOICES :icon_smile: See how easy a job you got? :thumbleft:

The reason Ted can't field one, as you said, is because he has a severe case of "Anal Glaucoma of the offensive Lineman" HE JUST CAN'T SEE HIS ASS PICKING A GOOD ONE :thumbleft:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Dude, I had to pick in my fantasy draft for the new company I work for (well almost a year there now) but I had the first pick and the owner's son was the guy who head up the whole shin dig. Talk about freaking pressure! I was like, crap who do I take, I want Rodgers but dammit ... I took Ladanian Tomlinson instead.

The moral of the story here, the pressure of a freaking fantasy draft taking that first pick made me NOT want to be a GM lol
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
I agree that the O-line has been Thompson's biggest failing so far. But the line was playing decently toward the end of last season. I think the reason for the drop-off this year is the sudden decline of Clifton and Tauscher. I'm afraid that both of them may be hitting a wall at the same time. They are still capable of playing lights-out, but they seem to be hit-or-miss at this point in their careers. I think it is possible that next year's line could look like this from left to right: Colledge, Spitz, Wells, Sitton, Giacomini. Whether that lineup would be very good is an open question.
blank
IronMan
15 years ago

I agree that the O-line has been Thompson's biggest failing so far. But the line was playing decently toward the end of last season. I think the reason for the drop-off this year is the sudden decline of Clifton and Tauscher. I'm afraid that both of them may be hitting a wall at the same time. They are still capable of playing lights-out, but they seem to be hit-or-miss at this point in their careers. I think it is possible that next year's line could look like this from left to right: Colledge, Spitz, Wells, Sitton, Giacomini. Whether that lineup would be very good is an open question.

"Greg C." wrote:

I'm surprised Clifton has lasted as long as he has after his injury in 2002. He's one tough SOB. Tauscher's struggles have been more surprising. Maybe he's playing hurt, who knows.
15 years ago
I've heard conflicting reports on Wells' performance in the game. One article said he was responsible for 1.5 sacks and the jsonline grading of the game said he didn't and had the best performance on the O-line.
I have been a Wells fan since he replaced Flanagan. I don't want to see him let go.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago

I'm surprised Clifton has lasted as long as he has after his injury in 2002. He's one tough SOB. Tauscher's struggles have been more surprising. Maybe he's playing hurt, who knows.

"IronMan" wrote:

This is something I mentioned in a thread a few weeks back: I think Tauscher's poor physical shape may prevent him from being an effective player beyond the age of 30. Young players can sometimes get by on pure talent, but when players get older they need to be in really good shape. Most players who are successful in the NFL in their 30's are workout warriors. Take one look at Tauscher, and you can tell that he's not. For that reason, I don't expect the Packers to offer him a big contract.
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Didn't see this posted anywhere.. so I thought I would slide it into another thread..

Numbers show how offensive, defensive lines have struggled
By Rob Demovsky rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com November 11, 2008

There are no official individual statistics for offensive linemen and only a few for defensive linemen, but plenty of team stats exist to tell the story of how the Green Bay Packers lines have played this season.

And the numbers arent pretty.

The best measure of offensive line play may be the following areas: rushing yards per game, rushing average and sacks allowed.

The best measure of defensive line play may be the following areas: rushing yards allowed per game, rushing average allowed and sacks.

The Packers rank in the bottom half of the 32-team NFL in five of the six areas. They rank 23rd in rushing yards per game and 28th in rushing yards allowed per game. They rank 25th in rushing average and 30th in rushing average allowed. Their 21 sacks allowed ranks 14th in the NFL, and the 16 sacks they have generated puts them 22nd in the league, and it should be noted that three of those sacks have come by linebackers.

Though there are myriad reasons why the Packers find themselves with a 4-5 record after consecutive losses to the Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings, the offensive and defensive fronts should bear a significant share of the responsibility.

You win and lose up front, Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman said, obviously.

Last season, the Packers defensive line was arguably the teams strongest position. General Manager Ted Thompson had so much depth he kept 11 defensive linemen coming out of training camp. Kampman made the Pro Bowl, defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila had 9 sacks -- his highest total in three years -- and defensive tackle Johnny Jolly had a breakout season before a shoulder injury ended his year after 10 games.

That group helped the Packers rank 11th in yards allowed, 14th in rushing yards allowed and 13th in sacks per pass play.

The depth of that group, its solid performance and the desire to involve defensive tackle Justin Harrell (a first-round draft pick in 2007) prompted Thompson to trade defensive tackle Corey Williams to the Cleveland Browns for a second-round draft pick in the offseason.

Problems with that group first became evident shortly after the Williams trade, when Harrell hurt his back in March when the players returned for the offseason program. He missed the rest of the offseason, all of training camp and the first seven games of the regular season.

In May, Gbaja-Biamila had knee surgery and never recovered. He recorded just one-half sack in the first seven games of the season and was released on Nov. 1.

Defensive end/tackle Cullen Jenkins, who was off to his best start and was arguably the Packers best lineman the first four games of the season, tore a pectoral muscle on Sept. 28 against Tampa Bay and was lost for the season.

All of that allowed teams to focus more of their blocking on Kampman. Though Harrell returned two games ago, the Packers have filled some of the other holes with the likes of rookie defensive end Jeremy Thompson, street free agent Kenny Pettway and career backup Michael Montgomery.

Youre losing experience there, Kampman said. Corey was a guy that played for us for quite a while. Cullen was the same way and started off the year like gangbusters. Kabeer provided some really good push for us, which allowed me not to be so focused on. All those things combined, you could make a story for that.

"Having said that, theres still guys in those shoes, NFL players who I think are going to be good football players. Now do they have the experience? Not necessarily, but theyre getting it, and I think were continuing to grow and at times show things that are strengths that some of these other guys didnt have.

To be sure, the defensive line bounced back with a respectable performance against the Vikings after blowing many gap assignments against the Titans. In the 28-27 loss at the Metrodome, they played sound gap-control defense but fell victim to too many missed tackles and watched Adrian Peterson rush for 192 yards. The line recorded both sacks of Vikings quarterback Gus Frerotte with Jolly getting one and Kampman and Colin Cole sharing the other. Kampman has 6 sacks, but Jenkins still ranks second on the team with 2 despite having not played in six weeks.

Were playing at a high level most of the time, defensive tackles coach Robert Nunn said. Weve just got to close the gap when were not. Thats the most frustrating thing. The thing they have done a good job of is keep coming to work and putting focus on it and not letting it tear us apart because that happens, and teams fall by the wayside.

Justin Harrell had his best game, and Johnny Jolly, I think I had him with 12 or 13 total hits. (Jolly) was all over the field and played with great energy. Its just not showing up yet. If he keeps playing at that level, and Justin keeps doing what he did (on Sunday) and the rest of the guys keep doing what were doing, its going to show up.

The problems on the offensive line might be more stunning, considering it is the same starting five from a year ago, when the offense ranked second in the league in yards and third in fewest sacks allowed per pass play.

After allowing just 19 sacks last season, the Packers have given up 21 sacks in nine games. Not all of that can be placed on the offensive line because one of new quarterback Aaron Rodgers weaknesses has been holding the ball too long.

Did I think, at this stage of the game nine games in, that wed have 21 sacks? offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. No, I didnt envision that. I dont want to say all 21 of those are on the offensive line, but I thought we could do a better job than that, no question about it.

Each lineman has had his share of mistakes, but theres reason to wonder whether left tackle Chad Cliftons best days are behind him. Hes missed significant practice time this season to rest his sore knees and then laid an egg against Vikings defensive end Jared Allen on Sunday. Clifton let Allen hit Rodgers twice, including once for a sack and safety, and then missed a backside block against defensive tackle Kevin Williams that caused running back Ryan Grant to lose 1 yard on the critical final drive.

One of the things thats a challenge for Chad is the amount of practice time he gets, Philbin said. In coaching, you believe in the value of practice. So when a guy misses what he misses, you wonder if he can catch up or how hes going to catch up. Obviously, hes got experience. Thats one of the things he does have. Not just him but a lot of guys on offense have to play better.

When asked how much of the problems on offense have been line-related, Philbin said: I think theres more to it than that. I think everybody has a part in that.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (22h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (23h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.