Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
The play calling in the second half was no less innovative/outstanding than in the first. All that changed was the execution and/or the Giants making a timely good play.

Advice: ignore the announcers and generalized talking head idiocy AND WATCH THE GAME.

Generalizations make for the short posts that are so fancied by our sound-bite world. But, each McCarthy play is a complicated and fascinating situation and those require complicated explanations. Reducing numerous complicated situations to sound bites will lead to erroneous conclusions. Each McCarthy play is a snow flake and each game a blizzard. It is fascinating!!!

Here’s the first 6 plays that resulted in two 3 and outs:

• 2 WR split, 2TEs stacked right. Lacy runs weakside for 2
• 2 TE formation; Perillo in slot. Dump off to Lacy for 3
• Back to 11 personal, TE inline. R.Rod runs a deep in, he’s open, A.Rod double clutches on throw, giving the LB a chance to recover. Still R.Rod is open, A.Rod makes great throw hitting R.Rod in stride; but LB makes a great play on ball. Not sure if the double clutch was from R.Rod doing something A.Rod wasn’t expecting or if it was just lack of trust in R.Rod to make the right cut.

• 2WR stacked right [Janis-Nelson], Rip, R.Rod [inline left] and lacey. Giants stuck in base personal and one CB on GB left. WE GOT ‘EM [There’s only 1 CB to cover both Nelson and Janis]! Play action sucks up 8, now we really got em! Janis runs a go and Jordy does a deep-in behind Janis and is wide open, it’s an automatic 30 yard gain and a TD if Jordy eludes the last safety. Rodgers, who has the entire weekend to throw delivers a ball slightly behind Nelson who cant hold on. A perfect, aggressive, innovative play! Just a lack of execution by both Jordy and Rodgers. So much of what causes the Giants reactions that lead to an enormous play like this occurs ONLY because of GB self-scouting with eye to what Giants are scouting and how it was set up by other plays in the first half. The sound-biters just doesn’t take the time to understand WTF is going on.
• Back to 11 personal, but TE is playing FB. They run right for 2.
• 11 personal again, in 4 WR look. Cobb motions to other side so 4WR set is 3x1. Adams was open again on right as third read. Not sure why A.Rod didn’t throw. Adams may have made his cut too early or A.Rod was staring down too long the seam route to R.Rod and slant to Cobb, both were HELD after they crossed on left as reads #1 and 2! I think Rodgers was so convinced the play to Cobb would work unless both LB and Slot CB covered him, which would leave R.Rod wide open, that he didn’t get to 3rd read on time. He also may not have thrown to Adams because Bulaga’s DE got a hand on Rodgers before he could get to his third read.
Zero2Cool
7 years ago
Mixing up the lineups every play was pretty good and kept people (myself included) out of sync. I've been pretty solid in predicting 3rd down plays by the field position and distance. On that drive McCarthy got me every time.
UserPostedImage
sschind
7 years ago
I may be showing my ignorance here but I have never hear the term 11 personnel until this year. (I actually had to look it up) and now its everywhere. It seems like every year a new buzzword or phrase is latched onto by everyone. Last year it was catch radius and I don't think I've heard it once yet this season. It really makes no sense to me since we are talking about 3 positions (RB, TE, WR) but I guess since are talking about 5 total we only need to know the first two to figure out the third. I just wonder who decided the first number was the RBS the second was TE' and the third WR and not some other order.
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

I may be showing my ignorance here but I have never hear the term 11 personnel until this year. (I actually had to look it up) and now its everywhere. It seems like every year a new buzzword or phrase is latched onto by everyone. Last year it was catch radius and I don't think I've heard it once yet this season. It really makes no sense to me since we are talking about 3 positions (RB, TE, WR) but I guess since are talking about 5 total we only need to know the first two to figure out the third. I just wonder who decided the first number was the RBS the second was TE' and the third WR and not some other order.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

These terms are varied between teams and evolve overtime. There is always pressure to reduce syllables and make what things are called easier for players to know. A story to show just how varied language can be: Ty Detmer tells a story of how in '93 in the middle of a film session Favre whispered asking, "what does Nickel mean?" This term was not used at his HS, S. Miss., or Atlanta. He then played an entire year in GB not knowing what it meant, he was afraid to ask.

3 WR, 1TE, 1RB for decades was called “posse” by most; some called them "trips." 4 WR and 1 back was called “Jet.” “Pro” = 2 WR, 1 TE, 1FB, RB. “Ace” = 2 WR, 2TE, 1 RB; etc. And many teams have their own specialized vocabulary. I first heard of the 2 number chart 5-6 years ago and now I think most have adopted it because its easier. Now that everything has gone computer, computers work much better with numbers and the description of 3 WR, 2 TE 1RB is reduced to 2 characters instead of Posse, which is 5. Also, terms like ace or posse have to be memorized. With the 2 number chart a player only needs to memorize the concept and then can figure out any of the groupings.

The next evolution will come when the first teams from England come in. The “nickel” of course is 5 DBs. With the evolution of having to defend a favored passing game “dime” will mean 10 DBs; 6 DBs will be called “six-pence.”😂 😂
Fan Shout
dhazer (2m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.