Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
warhawk  
#21 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 2:10:28 PM(UTC)
The reason Barnett did not want to move earlier was because he was looking for a new contract and had he moved over his numbers would have dropped and therefore his bargaining power as well.

I would think the fact that he has now got the new deal it probably no longer matters to him. I can understand his point. He had been the leading tackler for years and then he moves over before the payoff which would have hurt him.

I think at that point in time it was purely business and not so much a selfish attitude thing.
Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:48:26 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Yes Barnett objected to moving out of the middle.. I think it was right around Ted's arrive or Mike McCarthy's... I believe it was his contract year that he was vocal about it.. not wanting his play to be effected by the move.

Barnett with his speed.. would make a hell of a Wil backer.. plus after a little while I truly believe his numbers would reflect the positive effects of moving outside...

No he didn't. He said he'd do whatever the team asked him to do, however felt his presence would be most strongly felt at MLB opposed to WLB or SLB.

Unless you say that is objecting the move.
Pack93z  
#23 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:58:55 PM(UTC)
This is the story I remember.. doesn't sound like a relationship with the Packers would continue, "Lets talk about my future here", more so than willing to move to make the team better... in a contract year.. I understand.

http://www2.jsonline.com...ory/index.aspx?id=481846

Quote:
[size=18]Barnett was adamant that he doesn't want to play anywhere other than middle linebacker[/size], where he has started all but one game over the last three seasons since being drafted with the 29th pick in the first round.

"The only position that I would give 10% thought to is Will (weak-side linebacker)," he said. "But that's not going to happen because we got A.J. (Hawk) at the Will. Honestly, I'd be successful at whatever position they put me in. But I've grown to love that position (Mike)."

Quote:
"I'm balling," Barnett said. "I'm the leader of this team. I'm playing Mike, man. Coach (Mike) McCarthy hasn't come to me to ask me to move. I don't think it will happen. But if you're going to move to Sam after three years in a row let's talk about the future - not just about that position but my future here."
bozz_2006  
#24 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 3:59:20 PM(UTC)

Unless you say that is objecting the move.

clearly
Pack93z  
#25 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 5:50:37 PM(UTC)
UserPostedImage

:lol:
blueleopard  
#26 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 6:04:09 PM(UTC)
I miss Hodge.
Pack93z  
#27 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:03:23 PM(UTC)
Zero... no comment eh. :lol:
Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:12:39 PM(UTC)
Zero... no comment eh. :lol:
I'm confused, what are you talking about? Comment on what? Oh wait, are you assuming I read every post?

Hang tight, I'll read this thread from the top and see what the hell I missed.
Zero2Cool  
#29 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:20:16 PM(UTC)
This is the story I remember.. doesn't sound like a relationship with the Packers would continue, "Lets talk about my future here", more so than willing to move to make the team better... in a contract year.. I understand.

Quote:
[size=18]Barnett was adamant that he doesn't want to play anywhere other than middle linebacker[/size], where he has started all but one game over the last three seasons since being drafted with the 29th pick in the first round.

"The only position that I would give 10% thought to is Will (weak-side linebacker)," he said. "But that's not going to happen because we got A.J. (Hawk) at the Will. Honestly, I'd be successful at whatever position they put me in. But I've grown to love that position (Mike)."

Quote:
"I'm balling," Barnett said. "I'm the leader of this team. I'm playing Mike, man. Coach (Mike) McCarthy hasn't come to me to ask me to move. I don't think it will happen. But if you're going to move to Sam after three years in a row let's talk about the future - not just about that position but my future here."

Gosh its funny how one can read a quote with bias so it fits their theory. Maybe I should try that sometime. Wait, no, I prefer being objective and will continue to take HIS word as concrete. But go ahead and take his comments any which way you want. Just forget about the context of them and the constant barrage of comments saying he should move to the outside in favor of Hodge at MLB. Because I'm sure he's never told anyone that he was a little ticked off by someone coming in and potentially taking his position away. NAH!!! Let's jus take an excerpt and add some flavor to it.

There I commented on it. Now what? I'll tell you what. I'm going back to my game of Madden so I can throw TWO more damn INT's to those stupid ass Jaguars who are whooping my freaking ass!
brnt247  
#30 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:59:33 PM(UTC)
I mean, I don't see how anyone was taking his words out of context. He said he doesn't want to play anywhere but middle and he could possibly think about weak side but he doesn't think it would happen anyway.

Whether or not he would accept a move won't be decided until that day comes. Talk is cheap until the actions need to be made. I don't see him and his alpha male leader of the defense ego giving up the spot he's had since he was drafted. Maybe that's just me though.
Pack93z  
#31 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:49:00 PM(UTC)
Don't worry it is just Zero being Zero.. nothing more.. defending his stance.

But apparently I am just a bias Barnett hater... yeah that must be it. :lol:

Maybe he needs to write in blood or something.. maybe go a little Favre. :lol:

Entertainment at the finest.
alldaybaby  
#32 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:58:28 PM(UTC)
the fact that him and bishop both tried out makes me think he wont be to great there , because from what i saw of bishop....... the guy is crap , if Hawk was a naterual at MLB bishop wouldn't have even got a look in
brnt247  
#33 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:00:36 AM(UTC)
You can act like you aren't judging that from one play, but you really know that you are.
Greg C.  
#34 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:55:05 AM(UTC)
Who cares what Barnett says? He takes a lot of pride playing MLB, so it's fine that he's taken ownership of the position. But he loves playing football, period, and if he got switched to the outside he would keep playing hard. Remember how Lance Briggs said he would never play for the Bears again because of his contract? A lot of these guys are just big mouths. Show them the money and they will play.

Like some others here, I'm intrigued by the thought of Hawk playing inside and Barnett outside next season, if Hawk excels in the middle. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Barnett plays MLB because his speed allows him to play sideline to sideline. The drawback is that he's vulnerable to runs up the middle. He's like Brian Urlacher that way. Let's see if the Bears offense tries to exploit the edges today, as Hawk may not be as quick to get over there as Barnett was.
TheEngineer  
#35 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:33:35 AM(UTC)

Quote:

Quote:

Gosh its funny how one can read a quote with bias so it fits their theory. Maybe I should try that sometime. Wait, no, I prefer being objective and will continue to take HIS word as concrete. But go ahead and take his comments any which way you want. Just forget about the context of them and the constant barrage of comments saying he should move to the outside in favor of Hodge at MLB. Because I'm sure he's never told anyone that he was a little ticked off by someone coming in and potentially taking his position away. NAH!!! Let's jus take an excerpt and add some flavor to it.

Ticked off or not, the implication of that 2nd quote is rather obvious. Unless the context behind his quote is "Hey Nick, tell us a joke!", then there's not much else that needs to be said about that. You don't always need a 3 page article of context because that 2nd quote says all it needs to.

The real issue is whether he still believes that, which is debatable and probably only known to him.
packedhouse02  
#36 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:46:50 PM(UTC)
Hawk looks great. So far he's been where he is supposed to be. Barnett getting hurt may have been a good thing for us.
packedhouse02  
#37 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:50:36 PM(UTC)
We're really using the full house backfield in the run game. I love it.
packedhouse02  
#38 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:58:13 PM(UTC)
How many Packer penalties today? I have the for either 5 or 6
gakko  
#39 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:35:55 PM(UTC)
move barnett outside where he belongs.
blueleopard  
#40 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:11:34 PM(UTC)
Really? I could've sworn Brandon Chillar made more plays in the middle.
Rss Feed