hardrocker950
7 years ago
The quote is "I think we can run the table."

He didn't say "I think we can run the table through the regular season."

I don't think I need to elaborate.
Porforis
7 years ago
None of us would be talking about this if the media weren't constantly looking for a story because there's 24/7 NFL coverage they need to fill up with SOMETHING. Nor would Rodgers have said this to a reporter.

Bottom line: Rodgers didn't know anything we didn't. He made a bold prediction and could have looked like a complete asshat, but he elevated his game and did his part and the rest of the team for the most part did the same. Which translates into wins.

What Rodgers understands and a lot of fans on this website can't seem to truly wrap their brains around, is that it's difficult to post a winning record in the NFL. Yes, we have Aaron Rodgers and various weapons on offense, which is why we've consistently posted winning seasons in the regular season. What's even more difficult than consistent success in the regular season which every team but the Patriots would kill to have, is consistent success in the postseason. Which again, seems to be an expectation of fans on this site. Now, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be a letdown if the Packers don't at least MAKE the super bowl. Much less lose games in the fashion we have in recent history, which is quite frankly embarassing. Where reason gives way to lunacy is the mindset that simply having Aaron Rodgers means this team is a joke because it's not making the super bowl every 3 years. Fuck, the Patriots have been there 3 times in the last 10 years and won it once.

Spoiler alert, we've won the super bowl once in the last 10 years. And I find the concept absurd that certain individuals would not be constantly bellyaching about the Packers wasting Aaron's talent/other talent on the team had the Packers scored 1 more point in regulation versus the Giants in 2006 and 1 more point versus the Seahawks in regulation in 2014, and then gone on to lost the super bowl. Because the Patriots are the gold standard for what everyone expects a championship team to be. So by your own standards, the Packers are 1 point in 2 games away from equaling the Patriots postseason success over the last 10 years. Which is apparently the difference between cream of the crop and a complete and utter failure. I understand the functional difference those points make, but it can seem ludicrous to others that this is what separates utter failure and being top of the line over such a long time period.
uffda udfa
7 years ago

My goodness, the self-righteous, butthurt responses to the OP's screeds are far more obnoxious than the rants themselves. Is this really just some sort of echo chamber or safe space for you people? No wonder the volume of posts has declined so precipitously over the years. People get tired of the intolerance for dissent. Nerdmann is as far from Pollyanna positive as anyone is allowed to stray; anything more negative gets quickly shouted down, loyalty and fanhood get questioned, and buckets of tar and feathers gets brandished. It's boring and it's suffocating.

Maybe OP's tone was excessively strident, but his question strikes me as perfectly reasonable. He isn't peddling a conspiracy theory as you so uncharitably insist.

I swear, if I were an outsider, I'd say the trolls were the howling jackals ganging up on this dude in every thread to which he contributes.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Thank you. I don't wear a safety pin but it's pretty clear the majority here does. There is no reason to go off on me but I truly believe that I don't enable the mentality that looks for fun and feel good above everything else. I celebrate a TD like anyone else because that's something to celebrate. I criticize the D, because that's something to criticize. I question the moves of Ted Thompson in letting Hayward go in favor of failed high picks Randall and Rollins. There is nothing I've typed here in the last few days that isn't perfectly reasonable. However, it is dissent in the strongest form and the stalwarts are fighting vigorously for the status quo. Must be loving having Dakota's work schedule the way it is. The truth divides and it's not much more clear than it is right here. I have no doubt this forum has seen a decline like a lot of Packers forums because of this very thing. It rejects dissenters and becomes a calcified buddy club which emboldens further the rejection of different ideas. Strength in numbers.

Aaron knows he ain't facing cupcakes so there is no confidence to make any proclamations. Go look at the schedule following the R E L A X statement and we know the one that followed RUN THE TABLE. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Hardly bold or Namath-esque. I would've liked to read...the table ain't ran yet, indicating that there was more work to do. He was asked specifically about his recent boldness and he offered a turtle in the shell response. There was no Mike McCarthy styled going to Seattle to kick ass. That truly leads me to believe he knows their odds are poor of doing much in the playoffs, but that's just me. No conspiracy just what I think.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
Why give Good teams more bulletin board material.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Porforis
7 years ago

Thank you. I don't wear a safety pin but it's pretty clear the majority here does. There is no reason to go off on me but I truly believe that I don't enable the mentality that looks for fun and feel good above everything else. I celebrate a TD like anyone else because that's something to celebrate. I criticize the D, because that's something to criticize. I question the moves of Ted Thompson in letting Hayward go in favor of failed high picks Randall and Rollins. There is nothing I've typed here in the last few days that isn't perfectly reasonable. However, it is dissent in the strongest form and the stalwarts are fighting vigorously for the status quo. Must be loving having Dakota's work schedule the way it is. The truth divides and it's not much more clear than it is right here. I have no doubt this forum has seen a decline like a lot of Packers forums because of this very thing. It rejects dissenters and becomes a calcified buddy club which emboldens further the rejection of different ideas. Strength in numbers.

Aaron knows he ain't facing cupcakes so there is no confidence to make any proclamations. Go look at the schedule following the R E L A X statement and we know the one that followed RUN THE TABLE. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Hardly bold or Namath-esque. I would've liked to read...the table ain't ran yet, indicating that there was more work to do. He was asked specifically about his recent boldness and he offered a turtle in the shell response. There was no Mike McCarthy styled going to Seattle to kick ass. That truly leads me to believe he knows their odds are poor of doing much in the playoffs, but that's just me. No conspiracy just what I think.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

To be fair, you're usually pretty reasonable and you have accurate comments on the defense which is a huge concern. Still absolutely do not understand how some people define success in the long term.
uffda udfa
7 years ago

To be fair, you're usually pretty reasonable and you have accurate comments on the defense which is a huge concern. Still absolutely do not understand how some people define success in the long term.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Success in the long term? Oh, I think this franchise has been successful relative to the other 32 for sure. Wildly successful. However, my comparison or litmus test isn't comparing us to Cleveland or SF, or Buffalo, etc. We have Aaron Rodgers. New England has Tom Brady. The Pats are my comparison and my litmus due to both franchises having an extremely special QB. I don't consider Brees and a lot of the others in the category of Rodgers and Brady, perhaps, some do, and that's part of the issue.

At some point no matter your definition of success you have to look to a team similar to rival expectations. Why has New England been so much more successful than we have? That is a fair question. When it gets asked you see a lot of folks here start screaming about us not being Cleveland as if that means the question isn't relevant.

To me, it's pretty clear the line of demarcation between us and New England is organizational philosophy. They will go for it...we won't. The Pats aren't shy at all about acquiring FA talent that will help them win. They aren't afraid to take on a Michael Floyd because they think he'll help them win. We're content with the Herb Waters of the world and place our fate in the hands of development of far beyond the fringe roster types for the league. We'll find some guy on the street and think we're going to turn him into Deion Sanders. Belichick meanwhile will just go get Deion Sanders. See the difference? Counting on something unlikely to ever happen vs. something that is very likely to happen? Just within the last few days with the Eliot talk taking over for Ted. The lack of aggression is cited. It's common knowledge that we're a passive organization. Football is not a passive game. I realize there are ramifications with cap but to do as little as we've done from on high is beyond disturbing. Adding Woodson and Pickett culminated in a SB. Adding Peppers almost did. These are the moves that should be routinely made but are not. Woodson and Peppers were two guys on the scrap heap. Don't recall a single guy we ever signed in FA who wasn't our own who was coveted.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Porforis
7 years ago

Success in the long term? Oh, I think this franchise has been successful relative to the other 32 for sure. Wildly successful. However, my comparison or litmus test isn't comparing us to Cleveland or SF, or Buffalo, etc. We have Aaron Rodgers. New England has Tom Brady. The Pats are my comparison and my litmus due to both franchises having an extremely special QB. I don't consider Brees and a lot of the others in the category of Rodgers and Brady, perhaps, some do, and that's part of the issue.

At some point no matter your definition of success you have to look to a team similar to rival expectations. Why has New England been so much more successful than we have? That is a fair question. When it gets asked you see a lot of folks here start screaming about us not being Cleveland as if that means the question isn't relevant.

I go back to my previous post highlighting being one point away in two games away from matching New England's Super Bowl featuring and winning success over the last 10 years. And again admitting the embarrassing fashion in which we've lost a couple of playoff games.
Pack93z
7 years ago
*** edit... on second thought...

[zipmouth]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

A stir of activity on the board, not because the Packers secured the division.. a home game and a ticket to the playoffs.

Nope... because they are pathetic and dismal.

Only a Packer fan would do this to themselves... look at all the negatives without any balance of positives.

"DOH"

Oh... nice to see you back uffda udfa.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Bah, I bet he did some dances in his silk Packers boxers that they are in the playoffs, but publicly he's being a downer just to damper his hopes so if they get knocked out the sting isn't so overwhelming. After they win the Super Bowl he's going to be Mr. Cheery and delightful on how he was wrong and then just scream SUPPPPPPPPPPPPPERRRRRR BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLLLLLLLLL CHAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIONNNNNNNNNS!!!!!!
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
7 years ago

I have been grilled for speaking of similar things. When it was known that Sam's injury would be a long term blow to our defense - I think Ted could have gotten us someone to minimize the effects of losing our top CB. Some say that maybe there wasn't a significant game changer willing to come to GB - hard to say, but I would think we could hook someone that can at least play. I think we CAN and SHOULD make comparisons to New England, as we should be on the same level of play.

That said - I am ready to enjoy some playoff football. We shall see if they can overcome.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (17h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.