uffda udfa
7 years ago
The pressure of being an overall #1 seed is pressure enough for any team much less one being driven by two rookies and a head case WR. These intangibles matter. We're loose and free because we're "not supposed to win" or even hang with these guys.

Aaron alluded to the obvious point I made on my first post on this subject... a fast start is critical. The sphincters all tighten in the 100k+ Jerry World and Dez is going to be losing it on the sidelines. This team is not mentally tough...Prescott is, but the rest of them will fold if things go south early.

Don't think it was lost on the Cowboys that Green Bay just walloped NY. A few short weeks ago the Giants snuffed out the Dallas O limiting them to 7 points for the game. If Green Bay gets up early visions of what they did to that tough Giants D is going to compound like disinterest among their fans and that sideline. Could literally crush their spirit in the first 15-20 minutes of this one. The Giants only put 10 on Dallas to win 10-7.

First score that goes unanswered like tennis will be big first break point. If we put up 7 and they go 3 and out the pressure just mounts on them knowing Rodgers can put it on them all day.

Even if Dallas does happen to get up 10-14 it ain't over IF Aaron can get hot. I can't imagine the Cowboys D can generate the heat the Giants did.

I really don't expect a Packers loss. I think this one sets up very nicely for us Jordy or not.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
7 years ago

That said, I still believe that Prescott and his Cows can be defeated. It will require the same type of pressure that teams have used in the past to defeat the likes of Tom Brady. The Packer Defense will need to be in Prescott's face ALL DAY LONG. They can't let this guy catch his breath without getting hit ! At the same time, they must also keep a watchful eye on there League leading RB. The CB's and Safety's will as I posted before have to play,"above and beyond the call of duty".

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Um... Dallas has the best OL in the NFL... how exactly are the Packers going to be in anyone face all day long against the best OL in the NFL, when they couldn't do it against the Giants worse OL with Marshall Newhouse at RT?

Not counting week 17 when the Cowboys rested their players, there is only one team that has beaten the Cowboys... and they did it twice... the Giants (who the Packers beat twice)... but maybe the Packers need to steal a page out of the Giants and copy their method on defense.

In other words... keep containment... don't over comment, do as the Giants did and keep containment of the pocket and keep the QB and RB in the pocket... make the QB beat you from there... it certainly knocked Rodgers out of his rhythm for the first quarter and didn't let him get out of the pocket like he likes.

I'm not saying only do that... but certainly mix it in some to confuse the Cowboys (at least if the Packers defense can do it as a unit). Dak has thrown 4 INTs... 2 to the Giants and one to the Packers.

If the Packers can stop the run, then Dak will have to pass... if the Packers can cover (or do what Dom has been doing well lately, tricking QBs) then the Packers will have a couple chances at INTs. Hopefully they defenders won't drop them like they have mostly done the last two games.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Wouldn't count on many opportunities for picks in this one. Prescott turns it over less than Rodgers. He's very very smart. He did fumble it 9 times. Perhaps, this reinvigorated Peppers can slap one or two out of his hand?

We don't have the front to mimic what NY did. I wish we did.

Rodgers is going to have to be this century's version of Air Coryell in this one. Montgomery and Cook are X factors that mitigate the loss of Jordy. Didn't have Cook at all and barely had Montgomery in 2015. Perhaps, Dakota's guy, Geronimo, stands out or God forbid, Janis. Stars are born in moments such as these...or the guy just sucks and is never heard from again.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
7 years ago

Wouldn't count on many opportunities for picks in this one. Prescott turns it over less than Rodgers. He's very very smart. He did fumble it 9 times. Perhaps, this reinvigorated Peppers can slap one or two out of his hand?

We don't have the front to mimic what NY did. I wish we did.

Rodgers is going to have to be this century's version of Air Coryell in this one. Montgomery and Cook are X factors that mitigate the loss of Jordy. Didn't have Cook at all and barely had Montgomery in 2015. Perhaps, Dakota's guy, Geronimo, stands out or God forbid, Janis. Stars are born in moments such as these...or the guy just sucks and is never heard from again.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

And I wouldn't doubt their mental toughness, especially the OL and the RB. They sure aren't soft minded.

You're the one talking about if the Packers score first or if Rodgers gets hot... if they do, then the Cowboys might pass the ball a bit more or at least down field more. Part of the reason Dak doesn't throw a lot of INTs is because they're picked easier routes to read.

People are saying Dak is playing like a 10 year vet... well Capers got Stafford to throw it to Matthews two weeks ago, and Eli to throw it Randall last week, using tricks that fooled them... so Capers is fooling vet QBs. I was just pointing out maybe Capers can fool Dak as well. And hopefully the defense will catch the ball this time.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Dak put a 117+ quarterback rating on Dom's D at Lambeau. Counting on Dom is like counting on a plywood plank to hold you. Our best bet is the pressure of a #1 seed is too much for him. I want him to have to throw it more. Rodgers putting early points only puts more pressure on him and invites more throws.

I'm watching CBS 11 here in Dallas. Top story was Cowboys Tix delivered to a wrong address. A few stories later about the hot memorabilia sales. This place is frenzied. This place fully expects a SB win. That's a lot of pressure. There's none on the Packers.

Can't wait for the nonstop coverage of the misery of a deflating loss to the Packers.
UserPostedImage

Barfarn
7 years ago

WRONG😁, Prescott turns it over less than Doppleganger Wigglesworth; Aaron dont turn the ball over, EVER!

And Peppers already has a strip sack on Prescott!

People are saying Dak is playing like a 10 year vet... well Capers got Stafford to throw it to Matthews two weeks ago, and Eli to throw it Randall last week, using tricks that fooled them... so Capers is fooling vet QBs. I was just pointing out maybe Capers can fool Dak as well. And hopefully the defense will catch the ball this time.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Dak didn't have an INT in his first 5 games; in his 6th against Dom, Burnett got one. No doubt Dak remembers his 1st INT.

By Sunday it'll be 3 weeks since he played [He had 8 passes v. Philly week 17 and he looked more like Hundley has than Prescott]. What Dom will see is that Prescott's comforting teddy bear is the short pass right. When he takes that away; like Giants did it week 14, Smokey will be saying, "Huh, I guess there is one thing that can rattle him😁."
steveishere
7 years ago
What we need in this game is an early lead and some semblance of a run defense. The biggest problem is we can't defend the pass adequately in a base defensive formation so our guys up front need to step up in the nickle and Dom needs to substitute in some big guys when Dallas runs heavy offensive formations instead of just staying nickle/dime no matter what the offense does. If we get a slow/sloppy start against Dallas it'll be trouble because they probably won't allow as many possessions to get a rhythm going.
hardrocker950
7 years ago

Counting on Dom is like counting on a plywood plank to hold you. Our best bet is the pressure of a #1 seed is too much for him. I want him to have to throw it more. Rodgers putting early points only puts more pressure on him and invites more throws.

Something to be said here. We don't have one of those defenses that will shut out teams, but they seem to do enough when the offense puts up points.

I had a hard time really forming an opinion about the defensive performance against the Giants. Coverage seemed to be ok, but they got some help with drops and off target throws. Pass rush was on and off, but they did get in the backfield and made some plays - good on Clay for going after that fumble.

That said - I think we will give up more points in this game. Dallas has a good offense, and our D will probably have some miscues that lead to points. Win the turnover battle and we win this game.
beast
7 years ago

Dak put a 117+ quarterback rating on Dom's D at Lambeau. Counting on Dom is like counting on a plywood plank to hold you. Our best bet is the pressure of a #1 seed is too much for him. I want him to have to throw it more. Rodgers putting early points only puts more pressure on him and invites more throws.

I'm watching CBS 11 here in Dallas. Top story was Cowboys Tix delivered to a wrong address. A few stories later about the hot memorabilia sales. This place is frenzied. This place fully expects a SB win. That's a lot of pressure. There's none on the Packers.

Can't wait for the nonstop coverage of the misery of a deflating loss to the Packers.

That was early in the season when Dom was still trying to figure out what he had to work with between all the CB injuries... the Safeties have really stepped up since then and the CBs have finally been stable and they have trust in Gunter now. Also Capers completely over thought the defensive plan and tried hard to get all of the OLBers on the field at once which backfired early on.

If our best bet is the pressure of a #1 seed gets to them, then we're already lost because that's just plain stupid and completely overthought... because compared to an NFL defensive player trying to nail you, there is no pressure from a meaningless word. P.S. We have not already lost... because on the field is what matters.

Is it cold down there in Dallas? ... just remember it was cold when the Packers played the Super Bowl there with ice falling from the dome.

Really? You go from Packers can't win 8 games... to ... they're clearly going to beat the best team in the NFC? [wtf]

Seems like a trap for an I told you so either way the game goes.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
Beast/Barfarn/hardrocker950, I greatly enjoy reading your post and I don't always agree with you, but I would like for you to think about what I'm about to say. U2 is like a feral cat. As long as you feed him he won't go away. I mean that quoting and challenging uffda udfa (U2) post only fuels his twisted ego. He lives to get a rise out of members like you and others. I have personally blocked his post and I recommend that you all consider following suit.

IMO, U2 is like a pebble that someone put in your hubcap to just annoy you. It only serves a ego that gets a thrill from getting you stirred up. If our fearless forum administrator sees members blocking U2's post in mass, it could weight upon him to take further action.

I've tried in vein to reach U2, only to be rebuked. Also when you quote him, I can't read your post without having to see U2 post that I already tried to block. Consider this: This forum would be a friendlier and less stressful place if U2 would just go away, but we all know that will not take place voluntarily.

UserPostedImage