wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Here's what Rodney wrote today over at Packernotes:

"here’s what Lovie Smith, who clearly knows a thing or two about coaching in the National Football League, said about the newest member of the Packers: “There is no doubt that Tim McGarigle is a rising star in the coaching fraternity. As much as I would have been happy that he stayed on our staff, I would never want to stand in the way of a coach moving into a position he wanted to attain. Tim is a terrific defensive coach and excellent communicator. I have no doubt he’ll have a very successful career.”

PS: McGarigle turned down other opportunities to come to GB because he wanted to advance his football knowledge among great football minds and learn in a highly respected and extremely stable organization.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Football coaching has been so bad for so long at Illinois that Lovie looks like he is 10 feet tall and can walk on water. The last decent coach they had was John Mackovic back in 91. And he only had two good seasons in 89 and 90.

I like Lovie. He knows about the NFL as you mentioned. Mainly he knows how to get his butt thumped. (89-87) Do you think tOSU, Michigan, Alabama, LSU or even Clemson would hire Lovie? Not a chance.

Lovie telling the reporter that McGargle is a rising star is coach speak. What do you expect him to say? That Tim is a bum. That I did him a favor by hiring him to coach at IL knowing he wouldn't get a decent job elsewhere? Of course not. Lovie hired the guy of course he will say nice things about him when he is heading out the door.

You claim Mc Gargle turned down other opportunities. You know this how? Where's is your list? I can claim anything too. Unless you have proof it is meaningless.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
List yours. You made the claim he was hot. Common sense is my proof against the claim of hotness.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
7 years ago

Football coaching has been so bad for so long at Illinois that Lovie looks like he is 10 feet tall and can walk on water. The last decent coach they had was John Mackovic back in 91. And he only had two good seasons in 89 and 90.

I like Lovie. He knows about the NFL as you mentioned. Mainly he knows how to get his butt thumped. (89-87) Do you think tOSU, Michigan, Alabama, LSU or even Clemson would hire Lovie? Not a chance.

Lovie telling the reporter that McGargle is a rising star is coach speak. What do you expect him to say? That Tim is a bum. That I did him a favor by hiring him to coach at IL knowing he wouldn't get a decent job elsewhere? Of course not. Lovie hired the guy of course he will say nice things about him when he is heading out the door.

You claim McGargle turned down other opportunities. You know this how? Where's is your list? I can claim anything too. Unless you have proof it is meaningless.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I'll say it again, COACHES DON'T LIE!

"What do I expect him to say? Tim is a bum;" is 100% Uffda speak. Dont be Uffda-like: arguing that there are only 2 extreme choices, when there are millions of middling ones. Coach speak is common, it's done every day. Now, find me one example in any sport, where a coach made such an effusive statements about someone walking out the door and it wasn't true. You'd have examples if this occurred more than once or twice in a millennia.

This effusive speak [there is no doubt he's a rising star] is extremely rare; because if things dont work the coach looks like a nimrod.

Imagine a reporter asking about Hardy Nickerson Jr. and Smith says, "he's a rising star; there is no doubt he's the absolute best MLB in the draft."And then he goes undrafted. And a coach especially a college coach that recruits, simply cannot afford to have people thinking his word is not solid. Smith will be sitting in some youngsters living room next year speaking of how Illinois' program is a "rising star." He cant afford for a recruit to think, "he says crap like this all the time, I cant trust him."

NO ONE is talking to Tim unless Lovie is spoken with first, you do know this, correct? [Well, a classless sociopath like Jim Harbaugh might.] And during these calls Smith is undoubtedly asked about him. If Lovie speaks of Tim's many warts, he's not getting an NFL job, there's too many other choices.

McGarigle getting an NFL job is significant and its no less significant because someone is a hater of the staff because they're butt-hurt from a Champ game loss. And there is no doubt that "There is no doubt he's a rising star!" IS NOT COACH SPEAK. Only a complete nimrod loser would say such a thing, if he didn't know it to be true.

As for the list other opportunities, Tim nor the teams will ever publicly reveal this info. But, I expect he'll be interviewed in the coming slow weeks and the existence of other opportunities should be revealed. But for now you got me saying he's hot and Lovie saying "there is no doubt" that McGarigle is a coaching "rising star." Smith knows and he's telling the truth; if that doesn't convince you, I don't know how I'd convince you the sun sets in the west either.

Illinois has had trouble getting and keeping good coaches in all their major sports; not sure what's up with that. But Lovie Smith could write his ticket to be HC to any college that had an opening [unless they had a special candidate-like, EG, Michigan wanted Harbaugh].
uffda udfa
7 years ago
This is no different than Dabo talking up Watson. You're the one who loves to make wild leaps. I'm prone to it but all the common sense is firmly against your wild leap.

You do understand that Lovie saying this is great PR for him and his program? It's a selling point to attract assistants seeing how McGarigle was sold.

28 teams could've added him. Heck, 29 if I throw in the Steelers. He picked us over a bunch of other teams? Extremely unlikely. If he got an offer from the other 28 he would've taken it. He isn't going to wait around hoping one of the Final four was coming after him. You jump when you can in his position and he didn't jump until our offer which tells me he had no others. COMMON SENSE.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

I'll say it again, COACHES DON'T LIE!

"What do I expect him to say? Tim is a bum;" is 100% Uffda speak. Dont be Uffda-like: arguing that there are only 2 extreme choices, when there are millions of middling ones. Coach speak is common, it's done every day. Now, find me one example in any sport, where a coach made such an effusive statements about someone walking out the door and it wasn't true. You'd have examples if this occurred more than once or twice in a millennia.

This effusive speak [there is no doubt he's a rising star] is extremely rare; because if things dont work the coach looks like a nimrod.

Imagine a reporter asking about Hardy Nickerson Jr. and Smith says, "he's a rising star; there is no doubt he's the absolute best MLB in the draft."And then he goes undrafted. And a coach especially a college coach that recruits, simply cannot afford to have people thinking his word is not solid. Smith will be sitting in some youngsters living room next year speaking of how Illinois' program is a "rising star." He cant afford for a recruit to think, "he says crap like this all the time, I cant trust him."

NO ONE is talking to Tim unless Lovie is spoken with first, you do know this, correct? [Well, a classless sociopath like Jim Harbaugh might.] And during these calls Smith is undoubtedly asked about him. If Lovie speaks of Tim's many warts, he's not getting an NFL job, there's too many other choices.

McGarigle getting an NFL job is significant and its no less significant because someone is a hater of the staff because they're butt-hurt from a Champ game loss. And there is no doubt that "There is no doubt he's a rising star!" IS NOT COACH SPEAK. Only a complete nimrod loser would say such a thing, if he didn't know it to be true.

As for the list other opportunities, Tim nor the teams will ever publicly reveal this info. But, I expect he'll be interviewed in the coming slow weeks and the existence of other opportunities should be revealed. But for now you got me saying he's hot and Lovie saying "there is no doubt" that McGarigle is a coaching "rising star." Smith knows and he's telling the truth; if that doesn't convince you, I don't know how I'd convince you the sun sets in the west either.

Illinois has had trouble getting and keeping good coaches in all their major sports; not sure what's up with that. But Lovie Smith could write his ticket to be HC to any college that had an opening [unless they had a special candidate-like, EG, Michigan wanted Harbaugh].

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Typical Barfarn post. 🙄 You are the one who acted like he knew something that no one else knew when you said McGarigle turned down other offers to join GB. I asked you to prove your wild claim. Even though you can't you still rambled on for 454 words even ranting that I am like Uffda and that coaches never ever EVER lie. PFFT. Of course they don't.

Now I am not saying Lovie was lying but it is own interest to play up McGarigle on his way out the door. It's human nature. How many times have you heard someone say all kinds of nice things about someone who died? You have to be a real hard character to speak ill of the dead. Lovie hired McGarigle saying anything bad about him is the same as telling everyone that he doesn't know how to put together a coaching staff.

I asked you to back up your claim. I asked for a list. You can't. Next time you want to rant simply say that you have no proof instead of acting like you had coffee with McGarigle yesterday and promised him you wouldn't give out the names of the other teams. You might have more credibility if you do.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago

Typical Barfarn post. 🙄 You are the one who acted like he knew something that no one else knew when you said McGarigle turned down other offers to join GB. I asked you to prove your wild claim. Even though you can't you still rambled on for 454 words even ranting that I am like Uffda and that coaches never ever EVER lie. PFFT. Of course they don't.

Now I am not saying Lovie was lying but it is own interest to play up McGarigle on his way out the door. It's human nature. How many times have you heard someone say all kinds of nice things about someone who died? You have to be a real hard character to speak ill of the dead. Lovie hired McGarigle saying anything bad about him is the same as telling everyone that he doesn't know how to put together a coaching staff.

I asked you to back up your claim. I asked for a list. You can't. Next time you want to rant simply say that you have no proof instead of acting like you had coffee with McGarigle yesterday and promised him you wouldn't give out the names of the other teams. You might have more credibility if you do.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I've heard that too. That McGaricle turned down other offers. Can't name the articles offhand, I didn't save them.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Lol. Heard that, too?

I have read countless articles on his hiring. Isn't one that said he turned down anyone.

The recurring qoute from McGarigle is that it's always been his dream to coach in the NFL. Now, that I believe.

No way this guy passed on any other opportunities if it was his dream to be in the NFL!

Also, extremely unlikely anyone else was trying to move on him. Multiple HC hires and no one added him to their staff nor did any of the other 27 teams whose season ended before ours. Not the definition of hot.

It's cute Nerd is always liking EVERY Barfarn post. Nerd didn't read this. He's trying to support his buddy.

I still believe there is some off board connection between nerd and Barfarn. What's the story?

UserPostedImage

wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago
I went through 3 McGarigle. None of them mentioned any other offers anywhere.
Some highlights:

Statement from Tim McGarigle
"Coach Lovie Smith and the rest of the coaching staff will have the Illini football program doing great things in the near future. Even though I was here just one year, it seems like so much longer because of the quality of people and relationships I've made in just a short time. However, I've always dreamed of coaching in the NFL and this opportunity with an organization like the Packers was something I couldn't pass up. Telling the linebacker group today that I was leaving was one of the toughest things I've ever done."

http://www.thechampaignroom.com/2017/2/3/14502938/tim-mcgarigle-green-bay-packers-coaching-staff-illinois-fighting-illini-football-news 

"However, I’ve always dreamed of coaching in the NFL and this opportunity with an organization like the Packers was something I couldn’t pass up. Telling the linebacker group today that I was leaving was one of the toughest things I’ve ever done.”

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/football/2017-02-03/mcgarigle-leaving-nfl.html 

Illinois coach Lovie Smith said after the season that he'd help his assistant coaches earn better opportunities if they wanted one. He was true to his word.
On Friday, Illinois that linebackers coach Tim McGarigle had accepted a position on the Green Bay Packers coaching staff as "Defensive Quality Control – Linebackers Coach."
Werner's take:
This is a great opportunity for McGarigle -- and an opportunity that came quick. McGarigle was a hard-nosed football player and is a high-energy coach, who often participated in drills and would run up and down the practice field. McGarigle connected well with his players and showed potential as a recruiter, especially in the Chicago area. This is how you want to lose staffer: to great opportunities. Lovie Smith has deep connections in the business, especially on defense. With defensive coordinator Hardy Nickerson -- one of the best NFL linebackers of the 1990s -- Illinois has a pretty good linebackers coach on staff, so Lovie Smith could get creative and go several different ways with this hire. This could be a chance for the Illini to add another ace recruiter to the staff.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1752421-tim-mcgarigle-leaving-illini-for-packers

Sure looks like GB was the only offer to me. But I know others can read this and say he had a dozen other offers.

I never said he wouldn't be a worthy addition to the coaching staff. My original comment was mock indignation against the University of Illinois because they have been so poor for so long.

McGarigle is a colorful character who is a relentless tackler. He psyches himself up before games by listening to the rock group AC/DC and like the line from the song, "Hell's Bells," he won't take no prisoners, won't spare no lives, in his determination to make the tackle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/416440 

GB has to be one of the worst tackling teams at any level of football. If he can teach the defense to tackle I say pay him $1,000,000 a year. If he can take Greene's place and put some fire into the defense I am all for it.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
There's nothing I've seen to indicate this guy had a single sniff from anyone else. It sounds almost as though Lovie got him the job through his deep connections as alluded to in one of the articles I read and wpr excerpted.

It doesn't really matter how he got here just not fair to over sell him as something he wasn't.

He sounds good but so does every Packers draft pick year after year and most ain't much. Words are cheap. Some of the sensationalized commentary in this thread proves that.
UserPostedImage

steveishere
7 years ago
He better be good because it looks like he's the only change to the staff and the other guys haven't been getting it done. Hard to be excited about watching this defense next year
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.