uffda udfa
7 years ago
B...I understand the Green Bay disadvantage especially with african americans. Charles Woodson was extremely positive PR for us, as was the fact Reggie came here, loved it, and got a ring. Woodson also got a ring. I think that is used an excuse more than it's a legitimate constant justification for results.

I'm amazed you know all this about Marshawn and Moss. Just amazed. Ted's lack of aggression cost us both of these players. How you argue otherwise is...I don't even know. You enable his lack of aggression and lack of results in both cases and then justify we didn't need him (Moss) anyway. We missed out on Randy, twice. Ted Thompson failed to offer enough, again. The first time was draft pick issue and what you noted about one year vs. two. NE took the 1 year gamble and resigned him after but we tried, again, and didn't offer enough, again, and Randy never became a Packer and Brett retired. Ah, I think you know Ted screwed the pooch on these potential player acquisitions. Tony Gonzalez as well. Ted refused to up his offer of a 3rd round pick to a 2nd and the deal fell apart. These are the things that just drive me crazy. Is it really that big of deal a 2nd vs. a 3rd to have added a HOF TE? No, it wasn't. We lost Tony G. because he wouldn't budge. He's rigid and aloof. Just doesn't get it.

So, again, to be clear...Ted had TWO chances to get Randy Moss and he failed BOTH times. Randy and Brett had always dreamed of playing together. Not getting it done with Randy was the final straw for Brett in Green Bay. I'm not sure many understand how upset Brett was with Ted for the very same things I am upset with him for.

You now have not one but two HOF QB's upset with him. Brett retired because of Ted's passive approach, and Aaron just called him out after the Atlanta loss but guys like you hail him. You're not right. You're so wrong it's ridiculous. I don't say this mean spiritedly at all. Just that you are wrong. It's not an opinion. Brett left because of Ted. All those Favre fans out there can thank Ted for Brett's retirement. Now, we have Aaron Rodgers calling Ted out. I've been of the same mind as Brett and Aaron with respect to Ted. Funny two HOF QB's who play for him conclude what I have but I'm wrong and Ted is this wonderful GM. It's truly bizarro world.

Oh, and for fun... Marshawn wanted to be Packer! This black athlete Green Bay garbage is a red herring. You're so wrong about Lynch. Here's a snip from sportingnews.com on Finley commenting on Lynch:

Former Packers tight end Jermichael Finley revealed Monday on the Two Deep NFL Podcast that if Lynch had his way, the running back would have been traded to Green Bay in 2010.

"We were running off the field — it was halftime," Finley said of the interaction during the Packers' Week 2 matchup against the Bills that season. "Me and (Aaron) Rodgers were running to the locker room and Lynch came and hit us on the shoulder and was like, 'Tell (Packers GM) Ted Thompson to come get me.'

Wanted to be a Packer...no Green Bay hurdle, in fact, it was an enticement...a draw. Still, Ted could NOT get it done. FAIL, again. Just like with Randy, twice. This is the guy you throw accolades and I throw shade. Who is right?
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

gbguy20
7 years ago
I'm with uffda
yooperfan
7 years ago

Forget the blathering vocal minority haters claptrap; look at facts established by HISTORICAL REALITY:

FACT: Every year Ted is all-in, spending every penny of that years' cap [unless he holds back a little to take the lead like extending Bahketiri].

FACT: If he signs Perry, Tretter, Lang and a few others, there will be no money for a big $$ outside free agents.

FACT: If he doesn’t sign any or some of the above guys; history proves Ted will spend money on bigger $$$ outside free agents.

FACT: If there’s money left over, Ted will have in his pocket some 3rd or 4th rounds picks. This means the cost to sign, for example, C. Campbell will be not only the large contract. The cost will include the MUCH MUCH GREATER risk of signing outside guys and the LOSS of a 3rd and/or 4th round picks.

FACT: Ted has to compete with 31 other GMs, several of whom possess a competitive advantage over Ted because they didn’t spend all past cap $$$ [because they weren’t as aggressive, all-in as Ted is every year] and don’t risk losing the value of 3rd and 4th rnd picks [because they're worse drafters].

FACT: The more options a player has; the less likely he is to come to GB. Green Bay is a HUGE competitive disadvantage to every other NFL city; even Buffalo. Cold, lack of diversity, complete lack of Black culture, Paul Ryan/Walker, difficulty traveling to and from, small market, high taxes, night life shuts down at 9PM, lack of anonymousness [if black]; causes at least 50% of players [or their significant others] to eliminate GB from the list regardless of contract offer.

FACT: [In light of above facts] Ted is superman!

So if you want to discuss real potential FA signings; that list of UFA [not with expiring contracts] will be growing over the next 3-4 weeks.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Bullshit!
Thompson is no superman and has never gone ( and won't ) go all in.
He thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and has kept the Packers stuck in second gear.

Barfarn
7 years ago

B...I understand the Green Bay disadvantage especially with african americans. Charles Woodson was extremely positive PR for us, as was the fact Reggie came here, loved it, and got a ring. Woodson also got a ring. I think that is used an excuse more than it's a legitimate constant justification for results.

This black athlete Green Bay garbage is a red herring.

[i]Former Packers tight end Jermichael Finley revealed Monday on the Two Deep NFL Podcast that if Lynch had his way, the running back would have been traded to Green Bay in 2010.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I saw the report about Finley, don't know if that 's true, Finley is a nut. But Lynch said this to several Packers that day maybe to Finley too or maybe Finely overheard. And I bet he had done this for other teams he played. Moreover, Lynch spoke a bit more seriously to someone w/ alot more authority than Finley. One thing is for certain; Lynch wanted out of Buffalo worse than Favre did out of Atlanta.

Now, let me explain how this works! Players have these things called AGENTS! Lynch was an UFA at end of season and GB was not giving up 2 picks for a 6 game rental, the trade was 100% contingent on to longer term deal. Agents hate having no choices, the bigger the contract,the more $$ they get; so AGENTS get on the phone and stir interest for their client. You going from Lynch speaking to Finley [Because Finley said so], therefore, Ted effed up the deal is the argument of a complete child. There are 31 other teams.

You said Garrick McGee is not a top offensive mind, knowing only that he's Black, this is offensive to me.

This crap about PR from Reggie and Woodson is what the Black Community will use to decide to move their families to an absolutely nonBlack community like GB, at best demonstrates profound racial ignorance. At worst its... Well let's just say it's offensive! Also your failure to capitalize "African American" was also noted.
Shame on YOU!
uffda udfa
7 years ago
This has really deteriorated. Your obsession with race is odd. If you're a person of color, I'm sorry I offended you. Not sure if I should be capitalizing poc or not?

Never said anything about the skill level of Garrick McGee. You're Crazy. You make some awful allegations that have zero basis in reality. You do it to more than just me so at least I don't feel picked on.

You realize Marshawn went to Cal just like Aaron, right? Here's some more on Marshawn from pft com...

Aaron Rodgers was asked about the possibility of the Packers trading for his old college teammate Marshawn Lynch following Ryan Grant’s season-ending injury.

“Bring him on,” Rodgers said, via Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. “He’s a great player.”

In a shocking development, Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports has been stumping for the Packers to rescue Lynch, his beloved former Cal Bear. The move makes sense on many levels until you read Buffalo’s asking price.

Silver reports the Bills turned down a third-round pick and a player for Lynch in the offseason and showed no interest when a team called about Lynch as recently as last week. I don’t need sources in Green Bay to know Thompson would rather talk about his personal life in a press conference than give up a third-round pick for Lynch. It won’t happen.

Ted has the same rep today as then. Totally inflexible. You act like because a deal had to be worked out it made Lynch an impossibility. Yup. Impossible because of Ted. No other reason. Not the race angle. Not lack of knowing it was right to do. Just Ted being Ted.

That guy cost us Moss, Marshawn and Tony Gonzalez. Ron Wolf would've gotten all of them.

You keep being a spokesperson for Ted. It's so odd someone like you is defending him.

I'm sick of his ways. Just sick. Has ruined countless seasons all the while thought of as one of the best. I will celebrate the day he leaves with intensity.

Laugh it up. White and Woodson were and are great help for PR playing in Green Bay.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
7 years ago
This is from reddit:
just now on the Dan Beyer show (w/ Brady Poppinga today) , Gonzalez detailed how close he was to becoming a Packer tight end.
to paraphrase: "my agent told me it was done.. everything was set.. Carl (Peterson, then Chiefs GM) was pushing for a 2nd round pick, the Packers were offering a 3rd round and didn't want to move. 5 minutes before the trade deadline the Packers said 'fine, we'll do a 2nd round pick' and Carl said 'now i want a 1st'. end of deal."

This is just 1 case but unless Gonzalez was lying it just shows there's more that goes on than we actually know. You can't always just assume nothing was done or tried.
uffda udfa
7 years ago

This is from reddit:
just now on the Dan Beyer show (w/ Brady Poppinga today) , Gonzalez detailed how close he was to becoming a Packer tight end.
to paraphrase: "my agent told me it was done.. everything was set.. Carl (Peterson, then Chiefs GM) was pushing for a 2nd round pick, the Packers were offering a 3rd round and didn't want to move. 5 minutes before the trade deadline the Packers said 'fine, we'll do a 2nd round pick' and Carl said 'now i want a 1st'. end of deal."

This is just 1 case but unless Gonzalez was lying it just shows there's more that goes on than we actually know. You can't always just assume nothing was done or tried.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I don't assume nothing was done or tried. I know not enough was done because little happens.

The Tony G story that has been out for a long time was that Peterson changed his demands at the last second from a 3rd to a ,2nd. Some fax issue and not enough time was the reason it fell through.

If Tony Gs story is true then I don't blame Ted for him not being here. However, Moss and Lynch will always be on him.

Going to research this to check veracity. Was always a 3rd to a 2nd. Have never heard a 1st was involved.

EDIT: Don't believe the 1st rounder story.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2008/10/15/gonzalez-almost-landed-in-green-bay/ 
UserPostedImage

uffda udfa
7 years ago
Here's an actual quote from Tony not paraphrased: from SBnation.com

Atlanta Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez was nearly a Green Bay Packers. During the 2008 NFL trade deadline, Gonzalez thought then-Chiefs GM Carl Peterson was on his way to trading him. He had heard the Packers and for a few minutes thought he was headed to Green Bay.

"You might be right there. It was very close from what I heard. You are right, at the last second something went down and I think the Chiefs said ‘You know what, on second thought we are going to go ahead and keep him'. That was three years ago now. That was actually during the middle of the season that I might have gotten traded, I heard. This is all hearsay stuff but... I had heard that it looked like it might happen. That was the closest that I heard and I was on the other line and then when the time limit came up they were like ‘Uh, it didn't work out.' But for a minute there I didn't that I think I was going to get traded and I thought I would be a Packer."

-Tony clearly doesn't know what happened. It was very close and then didn't happen. Have never heard the 1st rounder talk until your post. Still not sure that's accurate. It isn't accurate. Was always a 2nd. Ted didn't want to cough a 2nd only a 3rd.

Ironically, the pick that wasn't sent for Tony was used for the trade up to get Clay Matthews.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (10h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (16h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.