Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:22:35 PM(UTC)
As you know, awhile back I stepped down from moderating the community. I wanted to focus more on being a fan and focus on adding features (or finishing them) on the site instead of babysitting. The experience has been eye opening.

Essentially, I feel reading has moderately become repetitive, argumentative and petty competitions of who penis is bigger. In other words, we are no longer unique as we once were and are no different than any forum I've read since the 90's. This disappoints me because it means I have failed. More specifically, I let software fail you.

Easy example is look all the extra junk tied to a post. Avatar, some useless Rank, Joined date, Applause, and a slew of buttons that no one gives two craps about and we can't forget the absolutely pointless and useless Signature garbage. All of this distracts us from the actual CONTENT of what is being said and focuses more on the WHO said it.

A great (debate that elsewhere) man once said "complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining" and I firmly agree.

The solution is the software needs to be less site, and more people comments. This means, more words on display than all the other garbage.

Mini rant ...

I want PackerHome to be a place where you find the latest Packers news, rumors, what the hell ever.

I want PackerHome to be a place you can freely discuss said news (or Packers in general) [positive or negative] without worry of suspension for having an unpopular opinion.

I want PackersHome to be empowered by the community, for the community.

I want PackersHome to be where fans have a voice and that voice is heard.

A year ago (almost to the day) you were told change is coming. You cannot make a change for the sake of change, that always blows up in your face. You have to find the root of the problem and formulate a solution, then a plan and execute it.

The forum is going to be stripped down until I finish creating my own discussion board software or I find a better alternative.

The changes start now.

It is time.

Updated by user Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:30:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:48:27 PM(UTC)
But it's Valentine's Day
Porforis  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:46:14 PM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
But it's Valentine's Day

And Kevin loves us.
gbguy20  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:49:22 PM(UTC)
I was just thinking he should be stripping something else today
uffda udfa  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:32:59 PM(UTC)
I was just thinking he should be stripping something else today

Grapefruits?

On a serious note. Changes start now? What will they be?
gbguy20  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:43:03 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa said: Go to Quoted Post
Grapefruits?

Forum already looks different!!!
wpr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:55:42 PM(UTC)
Forum already looks different!!!

The pages are cleaner looking.
Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:25:58 AM(UTC)
Grapefruits?

Hold CTRL (button) while pressing the F5 (button) several times to reload the CSS files from your browser cache. You should see a difference.
PackFanWithTwins  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:29:16 AM(UTC)
I've never had any issue with the format of the site. I have stayed away for periods when the content of the posting degrades.
uffda udfa  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:39:15 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Hold CTRL (button) while pressing the F5 (button) several times to reload the CSS files from your browser cache. You should see a difference.

I see it now from my laptop. On my mobile, it looked exactly the same so I asked what had changed?

Either way is good. The acoustic version of the site works just fine. The ONLY issue I think I've ever had is when someone posts a YouTube link it really screws up the margins of the posting causing type to go way off into the green making it unreadable, but that's only on my mobile.

Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:54:02 AM(UTC)
I see it now from my laptop. On my mobile, it looked exactly the same so I asked what had changed?

Either way is good. The acoustic version of the site works just fine. The ONLY issue I think I've ever had is when someone posts a YouTube link it really screws up the margins of the posting causing type to go way off into the green making it unreadable, but that's only on my mobile.

Yup, that's part of the lack of being mobile friendly that needs to be addressed. Waited long enough for it to happen and even did some of it myself, but I think an new software would be beneficial. I want more control and ability to limit things, like, for example, people responding more than 3 times in a topic which saturates it with them, not the topic. Cool
uffda udfa  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:53:01 AM(UTC)
Yup, that's part of the lack of being mobile friendly that needs to be addressed. Waited long enough for it to happen and even did some of it myself, but I think an new software would be beneficial. I want more control and ability to limit things, like, for example, people responding more than 3 times in a topic which saturates it with them, not the topic. Cool

LOL. No joke. I honestly thought one of the things you might do to really tighten things down is put a governor on posts since you've brought it up to me enough. Just make sure the EDIT button stays so I an add more when I can't respond anymore. :) Hey, this is the offseason. This board is slow and in need of as many posts as it can get right now.

I wish I could remember the name of the software one of the old sites I frequented used to use as it doesn't list it anywhere on the site, but this is it: www.golfbuzz.com

Guessing you're well aware of it, but just on off chance you aren't. Old forum I used to frequent shut down and the former builder of it recreated it under a new name with new software that is extremely mobile friendly. Just wish I could remember the name but it's what's running at golfbuzz.com
Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:44:17 AM(UTC)
LOL. No joke. I honestly thought one of the things you might do to really tighten things down is put a governor on posts since you've brought it up to me enough. Just make sure the EDIT button stays so I an add more when I can't respond anymore. :) Hey, this is the offseason. This board is slow and in need of as many posts as it can get right now.

I wish I could remember the name of the software one of the old sites I frequented used to use as it doesn't list it anywhere on the site, but this is it: www.golfbuzz.com

Guessing you're well aware of it, but just on off chance you aren't. Old forum I used to frequent shut down and the former builder of it recreated it under a new name with new software that is extremely mobile friendly. Just wish I could remember the name but it's what's running at golfbuzz.com

Regardless of me being aware of it, a fresh reminder never hurts and is appreciated. I will scope it out.
Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:52:32 AM(UTC)
lol that is actually similar to what I have spec'd out already haha
uffda udfa  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:55:08 AM(UTC)
lol that is actually similar to what I have spec'd out already haha

I remember at the time the switch was made there was a huge backlash...tons of complaints, but the developer insisted this was the wave of the future and many forums were changing over to this format especially due to it's mobile friendliness.

Just put out a message trying to get specifics on what it is exactly. Will let you know if/when I hear something.

uffda udfa  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:31:41 PM(UTC)
One of the guys said he thought it was this free software:

www.flarum.org

Have yet to get a reply from developer.
yooperfan  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:01:20 PM(UTC)
I like it.
I can read the posts in their entirety on my tablet, where as in the past some of the posts would run off into the green background and I couldn't read all the words.

68md  
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:50:38 AM(UTC)
Zero,

While the switch to a more mobile friendly software is in theory a step up it won't help in what is the biggest challenge for any forum today. That is taking on social media such as twitter and face book groups... the later having the biggest impact.

As a forum owner using a paid software solution I can tell you publicly your software was virtually perfect as it was.. to be frank your kicking everyone else's ass in that regard and that's just not me talking. Don't fix my friend what was in reality was not broken.

As for some of the other issues that's better left for a private conversation. Much respect for the job you have done putting this community together through the yrs.

Mark
uffda udfa  
#19 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 11:11:33 AM(UTC)
68md said: Go to Quoted Post
Zero,

While the switch to a more mobile friendly software is in theory a step up it won't help in what is the biggest challenge for any forum today. That is taking on social media such as twitter and face book groups... the later having the biggest impact.

As a forum owner using a paid software solution I can tell you publicly your software was virtually perfect as it was.. to be frank your kicking everyone else's ass in that regard and that's just not me talking. Don't fix my friend what was in reality was not broken.

As for some of the other issues that's better left for a private conversation. Much respect for the job you have done putting this community together through the yrs.

Mark

Agree with, 68... I've always told you your site was the most aesthetically pleasing and by a longshot.

Here's what may be running at golfbuzz... got the admin to respond but he told me to "look below" but I see nothing. This is what I found another member saying the switch from phpBB or whatever went to: https://www.discourse.org/

Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 9:32:43 AM(UTC)
If we have an aesthetically pleasing forum, why is it dominated by less than a handful of repetitive individuals with their nauseated same rhetoric over and over and over again?

PH was never meant to be a place like that. I can't come here to read Packers news and opinions without seeing the same 3 or 4 people shoving their opinion down my throat over and over again. It was meant to be a place where we get lots of various opinions ... freely.

As for this YAF software, maybe I'll grab the latest version, hack it up into what I want and strip out the rest. Might take less time than building one from scratch. I read that flarum guy quit his job and it took 8 months to get that software going. Color me intimidated! haha
Rss Feed