gbguy20
  • gbguy20
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
We might be too far back for them to consider it, but would you want us to do it if we could? What would you trade and who would you draft?
Barfarn
7 years ago
Not a fan of the trade up.

The draft is all about odds that a GM can correctly project a college player to the pros. The GM with 2 picks has twice the chance of getting a boy wonder than if he had one. And I dont think those odds shift enough because one has 1 higher pick instead of 2 or 3 lower ones.

That said, if you really have a high grade on a guy that has fallen, then as often as lighting strikes, you do it; like Ted did with Clay.

PS: This is how we know Rodgers was not thought of by GMs as a #1-2 pick. Not a single GM, and most are not as conservative as Ted in this regard, moved up to take him [or just take him when it was their pick] when he fell to 10, then 15, then 20.
nerdmann
7 years ago
This draft is deep in CB, OLB and RB.

We can get some guys. Hopefully in the order of OLB, CB then RB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Bnoble
7 years ago

GREEN BAY - You won’t find many personnel people praising the quarterbacks, tackles, guards, centers, nose tackles and 3-technique defensive tackles available in the National Football League draft next month.
On the other hand, scouts are high on the crop of cornerbacks, 3-4 outside linebackers, inside linebackers, running backs, safeties, 5-technique defensive ends and tight ends.
As for wide receivers, it appears to be an ordinary group.
Now contrast the strong and weak positions in the 2017 draft with the strong and weak positions for the Green Bay Packers.
With the league year and free agency starting Thursday, the Packers’ primary needs would appear to be cornerback, inside linebacker and outside linebacker. Their secondary needs seem to be running back, defensive end and interior offensive line.
This draft looks like a perfect match for the Packers.
If the draft class still looks like this when the selections are made April 27-29, general manager Ted Thompson should be able to pick a top-flight player at an area of need in the first round even though the Packers won’t choose until No. 29.
That hasn’t always been the case in the last seven years when Thompson elected to stay put and exercise the 23rd (Bryan Bulaga), 32nd (Derek Sherrod), 28th (Nick Perry), 26th (Datone Jones), 21st (Ha Ha Clinton-Dix), 30th (Damarious Randall) and 27th (Kenny Clark) selections.
RELATED: All in all, Thompson stays true to form
RELATED: McCarthy talks Perry, Lacy, Lang
Based on pre-combine interviews with six personnel men, an estimate would be 37 players on defense in the first two rounds compared to 27 on offense. Obviously, the defensive slant favors a team such as the Packers that failed defensively last season.
As Thompson gazes upon his draft board for the next 7½ weeks he should find comfort despite having one of the latest choices in each of the seven rounds plus a compensatory pick near the end of the fifth.
He still must make the proper selections among tightly graded players. That will never change. It’s what separates the men from the boys among NFL decision-makers.
Thompson, however, need not stress about the well running dry in his team’s positions of need. Uncommon depth at cornerback as well as both inside and outside linebacker might enable the Packers to secure a player from those positions at No. 29 they have graded as highly as one that is selected 10 to 15 picks higher.
Look at cornerback, where the injury-related release of Sam Shields and the second-season collapses by Quinten Rollins and Randall leave Green Bay in an untenable situation.
“Get rid of all their corners,” an NFC North personnel man said after the season. “They’ve got too many slow guys. They don’t have one legitimate NFL starting corner. They should draft three corners if they don’t sign one in free agency.”
Fortunately for the Packers, this could be an all-time draft at cornerback, where the record of six first-round selections in 1997 might be threatened.
“This is probably the best group of corners that I’ve done in years and years,” said an executive in personnel for an NFL team with more than 20 years of scouting experience. “I see seven (first-rounders) for sure, and then there will always be a surprise in there.”
An even more seasoned scout said he had never seen such an abundance of defensive backs. Two scouts found it easy to reel off 12 cornerbacks destined for the first two rounds.
“I think there’s incredible depth to be had,” another personnel director said. “And that’s a premium position. You’ve got to have them. That’s the way football’s going.”
There’s little agreement among scouts on who might be the first cornerback off the board compared to the fifth. Major importance will be attached to the 40-yard dash times for cornerbacks scheduled Monday in Indianapolis.
“I’ve got all these guys together,” said one personnel man. “So the speed is going to break the thing down. Then they’ll break out of the pack.”
At this point I have 13 defensive linemen, eight with edge-rush ability, and three outside linebackers ticketed for the first two rounds. Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther, a 16-year NFL assistant coach, told the team’s website that this loomed as the best “pass rusher draft” in his memory.
“The defensive line overall is strong,” said one executive. “There are lot of players that can play 5-technique.
“There’s some really strong players at the top at 3-4 outside linebacker. Elite-type players. Then there’s good depth.”
As for inside linebackers, the scout said: “There’s no elite-level players. There is a good mix of both middle backers and coverage backers.”
Although safety isn’t a need for the Packers, it’s another loaded area in this draft.
“That safety position is really good,” said one executive. “Strong safety is the best in 10 years.”
Running back surely is the most stacked position on offense. It’s so deep that teams probably will select what’s available in the offensive line first and let better players at running back slide.
“You can get a real quality back throughout the draft, even as a free agent,” said one personnel director. “There’s a ton of guys. Fourth, fifth, sixth round, you can get a very similar guy.”
An average of seven offensive linemen have gone in the first round over the last four drafts. Teams are crying for tackles, guards and centers but their needs probably won’t be met this year.
“It’s maybe the weakest I’ve seen in a long time,” said one personnel director with more than 20 years of NFL experience. “Very weak overall. There’s some developmental players that will be taken higher than normal just because of the need at the position. There’s going to be a lot of backups that are expected to start.
“It’s really gone down. This year is really disappointing.”
Three juniors and a redshirt sophomore are expected to go off the board first at quarterback.
“It’s all projections,” said one scout. “You’ve got a lot of players that are either first-year starters in college football or up-side type players. Nothing that is just guaranteed to be a top-15 NFL quarterback.
“I see some starters that will go in the first round that will be back-end-of-the-league starters. But, if you don’t have one, they’re better than what you got.”
Not since 1992 have the Packers known the hopelessness associated with not having a quarterback. They have more than their fair share of needs, to be sure, but the pool of players in this draft class meshes beautifully with where they’re short-handed.
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
If we were to trade up, I would want it to be bundling our late round picks to move up and get as many 2nd,3rd rounders. We have youthful depth, we need higher quality.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (13h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (18h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.