DoddPower
6 years ago

Favorite Pick: Kevin King GB Definitely needed an upgrade at CB.

Most Impactful Pick in 2017: Josh Jones He will get in to the game a lot of different ways.

Sleeper: Malachi Dupre In a couple of years he might be a solid option.

Grade: C+ It is difficult to get real excited about the bottom half of the draft. A lot of long odds to make a significant impact. Adams, Biegel and Williams will be situational, rotation guys not players who will dominate.

The only 2 players that will be major contributors to the team on a consistent basis will be King and JJones.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

If the Packers get likely two starters, several key contributors (Biegel, Adams, Williams, Dupre, etc.), and a few developmental players and/or UDFAs, this will be a highly successful draft/UDFA. It's unrealistic to ask for much more, especially on a generally pretty talented team with late draft picks. Most the pundits seem to be giving this draft very high marks for the Packers. I can't see it being any worse than a B+ at this time.

Obviously this is only a first impressions grade as it's rhetorical that grading is impossible this early. I'm not sure why some people get so bent out of shape about first impression grades. It's perfectly reasonably to provide opinions on initial impressions of things.

Bob McGinn's "grading system " is interesting and offers an alternative. The draft looks pretty good according to his first impressions, too.
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
I like the potential of King with his combined height and jumping ability, and Jones with his size to be able to play that S/LB cross.

I think this was a good draft as far as keeping the team stocked with young talent for the futre, but I am disappointed for the NOW in that I don't see the defense being very much better. I don't think Adams and Beigel are going to make the pass rush any better. Looks like the offense is going to need to score 40 if we want to win.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

If the Packers get likely two starters, several key contributors (Biegel, Adams, Williams, Dupre, etc.), and a few developmental players and/or UDFAs, this will be a highly successful draft/UDFA. It's unrealistic to ask for much more, especially on a generally pretty talented team with late draft picks. Most the pundits seem to be giving this draft very high marks for the Packers. I can't see it being any worse than a B+ at this time.

Obviously this is only a first impressions grade as it's rhetorical that grading is impossible this early. I'm not sure why some people get so bent out of shape about first impression grades. It's perfectly reasonably to provide opinions on initial impressions of things.

Bob McGinn's "grading system " is interesting and offers an alternative. The draft looks pretty good according to his first impressions, too.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Dodd in general I like your posts so don't take this the wrong way. You can rate the draft anyway you like. I am not convinced how much of a role they will have. Just like I am not sure what the 2 DBs will bring. Randall and Rollins had pretty good 1st yrs then regressed last yr. Naturally I hope 3,4,5 of the guys will be major contributors but I need to see it before I give a higher grade.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
6 years ago

Dodd in general I like your posts so don't take this the wrong way. You can rate the draft anyway you like. I am not convinced how much of a role they will have. Just like I am not sure what the 2 DBs will bring. Randall and Rollins had pretty good 1st yrs then regressed last yr. Naturally I hope 3,4,5 of the guys will be major contributors but I need to see it before I give a higher grade.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I mean that's fine, obviously everyone has their own opinion. But the bolded part above makes me wonder how your metrics would ever allow a grade above a C+ until the rookies prove it on the field. That's fine too, but is just interesting to me.

I think at least King and Jones will undoubtedly contribute. The question is whether their contributions will be good or not. Randall and Rollins contributed a lot last season, but were horrible.

As they always say, the draft is about the future. Expecting the defense to be substantially better from this draft class is unrealistic. We should almost never expect that, especially with late picks. If the defense is going to improve this season, it's going to come from players already on the roster. Although I do expect the running backs will make their mark this season.
PackerTraxx
6 years ago

Favorite Pick: Vince Biegel, how can this not be a favorite, Wis Rapids, UW, Packers😁

Most Impactful Pick in 2017: Josh Jones, hopefully stop the bleeding over the center

Sleeper: Malachi Dupre, ton of talent, now has a QB

Grade: Hopefully A+++++

Ted's trade was good, I would liked to have had TJ Watt, but Kevin King and Vince Biegel is better.

Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Barfarn
6 years ago

Thanks Coltonja

GB picked 3 players in the 2017 NFL Draft that visited the team prior to the draft.

DeAngelo Yancey / WR / Purdue
Kofi Amichia / OL / South Florida
Devante Mays / RB / Utah State

Invite twice as many to visit prior to the 2018 NFL Draft . [twocents]

[cheers]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

According to Walter football, Jones RB was also in for a visit.

And 3 UDFAs we signed: Calvin, Hill, Grey; were also in for visits.

And Pittsburgh really screwed us over by drafting Keion Adams, who visited GB as well, and 13 other teams, in the 7th round-McGarigle was going to deliver him to us. This kid has a chance!

Ted doesn't like bringing in guys for a visit because it provides too much info of what he's thinking to the other teams. It seems guys get called in for 2 reasons: (1) they're fringe draftees and it the first step in recruiting them as UDFAs; and (2) guys like Mixon that they feel they need to look 'em in the eye to decide if they should be kept off the draft board or decide what grade should be given.

Some of the visits might be misdirection. There was zero chance Ted was drafting Delvin Cook in rounds 1-3.

Late 6th and 7th round picks are mostly guys desired as UDFA that you don't think you can sign as an UDFA or dont want to compete for them.

And then there's guys like Yancy that must have really impressed. I've seen NOTHING, Purdue fans saw nothing and the draftniks saw nothing that leads anyone to believe this guy is worthy of anywhere near a 5th. He showed Ted some characteristic, probably one that shows an incredible football mental acumen to process film ad the playbook, and Ted wanted to make sure he got him.
Smokey
6 years ago
I was listening the other day to Sports Talk Radio, I wish I could remember the name of the guest, but a good point was made.

The discussion was about the NFL Draft and a few selected Schools that regularly supply high draft picks. One school in particular was the U of Alabama. The point was that such programs place such a premium on winning National Championships, that they push their players to their maximum levels of play while at the school/schools . They appear to be superior NFL prospects, but many have no more levels to reach for. This is not always 100% true for all such players, but it is true more often than we realize.

He said that players from places like West Virginia or Idaho or New Mexico can end up being the players that still have greater levels that they can attain. Whereas the player from Michigan or USC or Texas may not have any extra levels to step up to . He said that smart GM's not only look at players , but also the programs they will be arriving from.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago
These elite programs also have the best coaches. In rounds 1-5 teams need to draft the most NFL ready players; because the team that gets the best production from its 1st contract players is the team that wins.

If a guy is drafted high and is too raw, it might take 3-4 years for him to contribute, especially now that the CBA limits reps and it is the nonstarters that cant get hardly any reps. By the time he contributes, then ya gotta pay him and some other team may overpay based on upside. The player that is raw has way less hope of great production for cheap. Smart teams have figured this out and get the most pro ready players early in the draft.

If a guy is drafted low or is an UDFA, he can at least sit on practice squad or 2-3 years before his 4 year window for a cheap contract begins to tick.

New England, on the other hand, got really stupid trading a chance to get one of these cheap starters for a WR [Cooks] that they have to pay decent bucks to this year and big bucks after that.
Smokey
6 years ago
Only a very small percentage of a draft class are plug and play starters. Most will need to develop either physically or with their skills before they can compete at the Pro Level .

For instance, a rookie CB may have been "the man" at East Carolina. His speed will translate well against Pro WR's , but he may need to build up his upper body strength . He will also need to learn to work within his teams Defensive Sets.

Another example could be a rookie Offensive Guard from a school that always ran the football. The player can run block great, but needs learn better pass blocking skills if he wants to make his new Pro team . He will need to improve his hand and foot work, but the coaches believe in the kid from Florida A&T .

Then there is the LB from USC that was a star on the field last season. Yes , he was a star in college, but he has reached his full potential already and has no where to step up to on the pro level. He may even make his teams roster for a few seasons, but they will say that he never reached the level that they thought that he would.

I can't say how well GB's new rookies will do, but be they draftees or UDFA's , they will have to climb the hill as did their veteran teammates.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
I think the drafted plug and play guys tend to be more position oriented. RB, WR (if good route runner) and to a certain extent OLB are positions players make an easier step. Playing OL (especially Tackle), QB, Corner and Safety have a more difficult transition.

I agree with Barfarn's comments hence it is why I like my projects to be with smart kids. Having talent is great, but if you just don't get it you are just a Christine Michael or Vince Young. A dude with a lot of god given talent, but will never reach their potential.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (7h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (7h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (8h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.