Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 11/13/2019 2:16:46 PM(UTC) Smokey  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:57:36 AM(UTC)
Most NFL teams play on real grass, but some play on the Turf . Some players prefer the Turf as it aids then to make faster cuts on pass routes, yet others don't like the Turf as it can factor into being injured.
Some Kickers like being indoors on the Turf and not having to deal with the wind of an outdoor field.

Many RB's like real grass for many different reasons. Many of the Turf fields feel like concrete when one lands on them. Real grass fields offer some give as a hip or shoulder lands hard upon it . Linemen generally like the real grass as it can give way instead grabbing a foot as tendons give way .

What do you say about this topic ? Will you add your knowledge and opinions ? BigGrin

Cheers!
PackFanWithTwins  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:05:59 AM(UTC)
My opinion has always been every game should be played on Grass. As long as it isn't Soldier Field Grass.

With grow lights today, I don't think being in a dome should be an issue anymore. The growing environment between games can be maximized, optimum light and moisture for growth.
Cheesey  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:51:57 AM(UTC)
Let's see....."Grass or turf?"
Grass for smoking, turf for playing football on.Flapper

(Just kidding!)LOL
PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:59:07 AM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post

(Just kidding!)LOL

This is my own hybrid. It’s a mix between Kentucky Bluegrass and Northern California sensimila. The great thing about this is you can play 36 holes on it and then get smoked to the bejeesus with it.

#5 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:01:42 AM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post

(Just kidding!)LOL

Everyone knows that you smoke the "buds" and cut the grass . Laugh LOL
PackFanWithTwins  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:03:45 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins said: Go to Quoted Post
This is my own hybrid. It’s a mix between Kentucky Bluegrass and Northern California sensimila. The great thing about this is you can play 36 holes on it and then get stoned to the bejeesus with it.

#7 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 12:56:47 AM(UTC)
Back on topic , I like the grass playing fields better than the Turf ones. I especially don't care for the Colleges that have Red And Blue Artificial Turf .

For those of us that have seen a high quality grass field up close and wondered what kind of grass it was, What kind of grass is that ? What I saw reminded me of the high quality grass used for putting greens . It was very thick, very green, and cut fairly short . If any of you have knowledge of horticulture and can enlighten this forum, I for one would applaud such a post .
Cheesey  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 9:01:42 AM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
Everyone knows that you smoke the "buds" and cut the grass . Laugh LOL

Me....I cut the CHEESE!Laugh
PackFanWithTwins  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 19, 2017 12:10:51 PM(UTC)
According to Wiki. Most football fields and baseball fields are either Bluegrass or Bermuda grass. A couple Miami in football and Houston in baseball have gone with a Paspalum which is fairly common in golf courses.

Lambeau is Kentucky Bluegrass
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:36:59 AM(UTC)
Kentucky Bluegrass must be very hearty with a great root system to bear up under the footwear worn in the NFL . The maintenance dept at Lambeau deserves a shout . Happy Dance
PackFanWithTwins  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:04:43 AM(UTC)
Kentucky Bluegrass must be very hearty with a great root system to bear up under the footwear worn in the NFL . The maintenance dept at Lambeau deserves a shout . Happy Dance

Heinz field and even worse Soldier Field are also Kentucky Blue Grass and they turn to crap. While I give credit to the grounds crew, It is more the GrassMaster system that deserves most of the credit for the field holding up. Remember before the GrassMaster system was put in and they would have to re-sod the field multiple times a year. The Bears re-sod Solder field about 3 times at a cost of $250,000 each time.

This is something I didn't realize until now. Good article.
Quote:
Each season that canvass is brand new. “What a lot of people don't realize is every spring on Lambeau Field we actually kill off the grass, and remove it mechanically with a machine and we have to grow that back in from seed”, Johnson said. And for good reason, according to Johnson it’s all about the players, “If we let the grass get too mature, and too thick it will be harder for those cleats to break through and sink in where the good footing is. The Packers want those cleats to penetrate the grass canopy and sink down into the sand the synthetic fiber” Without that solid footing there could be more injuries to the athletes.

https://www.wisconsinlife.org/st...job-tending-lambeau-turf
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:32:19 AM(UTC)
I did not know that Lambeau started fresh each season. I am surprised that they regrow from seed instead of having new sod installed . It must quite a chore to grow, protect , & care for such a famous piece of ground .
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:43:10 AM(UTC)
Minnesota and Detroit play in Dome Stadiums. Are their surfaces Turf or Grass ?

GB must also play the Saints and Cowboys in Domes this year as well . Are they Turf or Grass ?

What protections are currently available to protect players that must play on Turf surfaces ?

Go Pack Go !
#14 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 1:49:18 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 6:34:20 AM(UTC)
Minnesota and Detroit play in Dome Stadiums. Are their surfaces Turf or Grass ?

GB must also play the Saints and Cowboys in Domes this year as well . Are they Turf or Grass ?

What protections are currently available to protect players that must play on Turf surfaces ?

Go Pack Go !

All 4 are synthetic surfaces. I believe Houston and Arizona are the only retractable roofers with actual grass.

wpr  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 10:17:37 AM(UTC)
I think AZ has a moving field. They can slide it outside and water it. Pretty cool idea.

As for me, grass fields are the way to go. They're mellow dude.
Cheesey  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2017 9:57:26 AM(UTC)
I don't like the turf. It seems a lot of injuries are on turf. Grass seems better.
Nonstopdrivel  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 1:12:04 PM(UTC)
A look at the literature indicates that there is no statistically significant difference in the number of injuries sustained on turf versus grass. However, there is a slight difference in the types of injuries that predominate on the various surfaces. Muscle-tendon overload injuries (e.g., ankle sprains and Achilles tendon tears) seem to be more common on turf, while musculoskeletal injuries (muscle tears, fractures) seem to be more common on grass. In one paper I looked at, injuries due to head duels in soccer were significantly more common on turf than on grass. I wonder if that is a reflection of players' ability to achieve greater speed and launching power on artificial surfaces.
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2018 2:34:28 AM(UTC)
It's Back

Lets Box!
Rss Feed