PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
The better and more mature a team is, the less impact a draft class should have year 1.

Just saying.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DoddPower
6 years ago
I don't have a problem with the rookies having very little impact in year 1. That's expected, imo. My bigger issue is Ted Thompson not filling another hole or two via free agency in the meantime to allow those rookies time to develop. Can't depend on any rookie to fill holes. If they do, it's a bonus, but certainly not expected.
uffda udfa
6 years ago

The better and more mature a team is, the less impact a draft class should have year 1.

Just saying.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

That's true but when a team like ours NEEDS a CB, it's taking one or trading up to get the one they want to fix it hoping the guy will come in right away and solve things. We didn't take King to wait 3 years for him to help us. The help is needed right now. We chose not to use FA (shocker) to fix the issue in favor of drafting and developing to a fix either with King or waiting on guys like Rollins and Randall. That doesn't seem very wise to me but everyone has their own opinion on that.

Barfarn mentioned NE earlier. One thing I love about what they did with Ealy is when they determined he couldn't play they moved on. If only we would do the same. We like to live for years with guys just hoping they will turn into something. A team like NE wants to win now so that luxury is not afforded to their players while we don't have the same mentality here to win now, it's fine to wait wait wait while we lose chances to actually win rings knowing we'll get into the playoffs due to our QB. It's one of those vicious cycles and mindsets that is toxic to winning it all but that's what we have to live with.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago

That's true but when a team like ours NEEDS a CB, it's taking one or trading up to get the one they want to fix it hoping the guy will come in right away and solve things. We didn't take King to wait 3 years for him to help us. The help is needed right now. We chose not to use FA (shocker) to fix the issue in favor of drafting and developing to a fix either with King or waiting on guys like Rollins and Randall. That doesn't seem very wise to me but everyone has their own opinion on that.

Barfarn mentioned NE earlier. One thing I love about what they did with Ealy is when they determined he couldn't play they moved on. If only we would do the same. We like to live for years with guys just hoping they will turn into something. A team like NE wants to win now so that luxury is not afforded to their players while we don't have the same mentality here to win now, it's fine to wait wait wait while we lose chances to actually win rings knowing we'll get into the playoffs due to our QB. It's one of those vicious cycles and mindsets that is toxic to winning it all but that's what we have to live with.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Which FA CB should we have gotten and at what price? And what would that have cost us next year or the following?

They are not simply relying on a draft pick. They are relying on a FA signed, along with a Rookie draft pick, along with two high picks going into their third year off a bad year with injuries, along with hopefully a better S group to help, along with hopefully a better D-front to get pressure.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
uffda udfa
6 years ago

Which FA CB should we have gotten and at what price? And what would that have cost us next year or the following?

They are not simply relying on a draft pick. They are relying on a FA signed, along with a Rookie draft pick, along with two high picks going into their third year off a bad year with injuries, along with hopefully a better S group to help, along with hopefully a better D-front to get pressure.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Oh, I know exactly what this org is doing this season at the CB position and I don't like it one bit. Hoping and praying that two guys that looked brutal last year rebound in Year 3, and then drafting another guy at the top of your draft, in a trade down not up, to give yourself some insurance if the other high picks fail, again, doesn't seem very smart to me. Oh, the CB we signed we signed because we could get him on the cheap. House was never very good here. Jax overpaid for him and he flamed out there and now is back...because he's cheap.

So, to recap... We're relying on two guys who look like busts to be better this season, and a rookie who couldn't crack the 1st round in a CB needy NFL along with a FA who flamed out in Jacksonville? If you took the Packers name out of this equation and were asked to judge what you thought of a team doing this that actually had a shot to go to the SB, if they had even decent CB play, you would be shaking your head about what that org did to "fix" it. Oh wait, you wouldn't because you're conditioned to believe what we do is the right thing every single time. I should've said ask any other team besides Packers fans. Pose that to a Patriots fan and see what they would think about it. It would be so freaking foreign to them they would laugh out loud because what they're used to is 180 from what we are.

All signing a FA CB would've cost us is cap space. No picks...no nothing...just money. There were a couple of good ones out there. Logan Ryan and the kid from Houston, Bouye. It is acknowledged by you or has to be due to signing House and drafting a CB atop our draft that we needed to do something, right? We went with the garage sale rent a center approach and eschewed name brand, again.

I love when I get asked these things. NE goes out and trades for Brandin Cooks. Why? They just won the SB...have Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and the hot new rookie Malcolm Mitchell. Why would they go out and trade for Cooks? They want to be even better than they were the year before. We could easily have that same mindset of aggressiveness to go out and trade or use FA to get what we need to win. We don't. We like cheap guys who just might be enough. Great move by NE considering they lost Edelman. We lost Jordy in the pre season and did what? NE didn't even need Cooks and they go get him to be better. We lose our best WR in Jordy Nelson and do absolutely nothing to fix it hoping we can get by with our draftees and UDFA's. It is a sickening thing to live through as a Packers follower.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.