uffda udfa
6 years ago

You can still get all of the rules. I remember someone posted it somewhere a good while back. This link might be it, but I'm not sure.
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2017-nfl-rulebook/ 

Originally Posted by: beast 

I was fooling around on that site earlier...nothing about off the field rules on it, though. Just upsetting I can't find what I'm looking for. That's twice now with not being able to find the Ted interview/presser from Arizona owners meetings.

The way Ted is, I'm afraid he might release Aaron Rodgers. Might explain why Sitton was released last year. 🤣

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
6 years ago

Does the team have to jump through all the hoops? Meaning, do they have to cut to 53, then announce IR? Or can they just say, he will be starting the season on IR. If they have to cut first, then that also means who ever they would put on the roster in his spot needs to go through all the Post cut procedures before being able to be brought back.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I believe it all depends, on weather if you want that players to have the eligibility to return or not.

I believe you can IR players right now, like the Packers have done with CB Waters, but he doesn't have the eligibility to return to the Packers during the season... at least not without first being released (giving all 32 teams a chance to claim/sign him).

But if you want that player to have eligibility to directly return during the season, then yes, I think you need to jump through all the hoops. Uffda found where it was worded the best.

***For any player to be available as a short term return designation, the player would need to be on the initial 53 man roster.***

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
This may help guys.
question today on packers.com

Nathan from Baltimore, MD

Any players placed on IR between now and the cut-down deadline are not eligible to be reactivated this season, right? How many of them typically stay on IR all year, and how many get released with injury settlements?

The updated designated-to-return rules don’t require the player to be on the 53-man roster first before going to IR. It was like that originally, but not anymore.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-insider-inbox/article-1/Its-wait-and-see-time/d98b7ef5-41db-4d16-a088-20298779758b#ixzz4rTL7YhS9 
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
6 years ago

This may help guys.
question today on packers.com

Nathan from Baltimore, MD

Any players placed on IR between now and the cut-down deadline are not eligible to be reactivated this season, right? How many of them typically stay on IR all year, and how many get released with injury settlements?

The updated designated-to-return rules don’t require the player to be on the 53-man roster first before going to IR. It was like that originally, but not anymore.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-insider-inbox/article-1/Its-wait-and-see-time/d98b7ef5-41db-4d16-a088-20298779758b#ixzz4rTL7YhS9 

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Thank you for posting this. I had a friend telling me this, but I was looking for where it said it somewhere for proof. Looks like I was wrong, I apologize for that... I guess the new rule change starts this year?

I believe they originally did it the other way, because they wanted to force teams down to 53 making it even, and make it hard to use and only use it for star players etc.

Though personally I believe they should either close the door or open it all the way. Either allow no one to come back, OR set it up, so anyone and everyone can come back after sitting out "x" amount of weeks.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago
Well since reportedly DT Adams doesn't have to be kept on the 53 to bring him back later then IR him (unless he's ready to play anytime soon).

An extra FB 😉 🤣 ... that would tick off a lot of people. But Packers top OL has really struggled to make running lanes... and Kerridge might be the best power blocker of the back, and a reporter talking to Montgomery, said, "They're been kinda secret about what they plan to do with you"... and Rodgers at a different time, talked about possible having Ripkowski at power RB... and talked up Kerridge as well. Kerridge blocking for Ripkowski might make for a good forced running game.... of course, they probably wouldn't be keeping all the RB draft picks in this case.

PUP: OLB Biegel, CB Goodson
Suspension: WR Allison
IR: DL Adams, CB Waters

QB (2): Rodgers, Hundley
WR (5): Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Janis, Davis
TE (3): Bennett, Kendricks, Rodgers
RB (4): Montgomery, Williams, Jones, Mays
FB (2): Ripkowski, Kerridge
OT (4): Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy
OG (2): Taylor, Evans
OC (3): Linsley, Barclay, Patrick

DT (3): Daniels, Lowry, Ringo
NT (2): Clark, Jean-Francois
OLB (6): Matthews, Perry, Brooks, Elliott, Fackrell, Gilbert
ILB (3): Ryan, Thomas, Martinez
SS/LB (2): Burnett, Jones
FS/SS (3): Clinton-Dix , Brice, Evans
CB (6): House, Rollins, Randall, King, Hawkins, Gunter

K (1): Crosby
P (1): Vogel
LS (1): Goode

Tough choices that either just made it or just missed it. Include
RB Jones, RB Mays, FB Kerridge, Lots of WRs, OL Amichia, DL Ringo, DL Price, LB Tripp

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago
With my aversion to Packers.com, I'm not sure I fully trust Mike Spofford. That is the only place that info has been able to be found and it was a heckuva mining job by Buck. I would've never seen it because I don't spend time there.

I hope it is that way. We would have to waste 1 of our 2 designated to returns on him, though, if we were to bring him back.

Had to keep looking: (UsaToday.com)

Also Tuesday, owners approved a measure that makes a second player who is placed on injured reserve eligible to return later in the season. Previously, only one could be designated for recall from IR, thanks to a rule that was adopted in 2012 and amended in 2016. The 2016 bylaw stated that any player who had spent at least six weeks on IR would be eligible to return to practice, opening a 14-day window for the player to return to the active roster.

I hope the "any" is referring to what Buck found at Packers.com If that's the case, then we could conceivably bring back Herb Waters if we wanted to as long as he's been on IR for 6 weeks.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
6 years ago
This time, uffda might be right to be skeptical. I think this puts into question if it happened in 2016... of course in theory the proposal could of been changed more or they could of done it in 2017. But I'm thinking Packers.com guy could be mistaken right now.

One thing kept bothering me about this, if the bylaw was amended in 2016 to say teams could return players that were IRed before the final roster reduction, then why didn't the Packers simply IR CB Makinton Dorleant in 2016 before the final roster? If this was the case, then the Packers cut a player that they didn't yet have to cut... which doesn't make sense.

But that could be because teams DO HAVE TO HAVE a player on the active 53 man roster before allowing them to return. Sadly, I can't find the final approved rules... BUT I did find the rule/bylaw PROPOSALS... and we know this PROPOSAL PASSED.... though in theory it might of been edited more. But this is the best I can do tonight.

The striked-out words is the part they're getting rid of, the underlined words is the new part they're adding in. I only posted the first paragraph because the item in question is in the first one and it doesn't copy and paste well... and if you take it from the Steelers site below this, it copy and paste well, but you'll need to added the striked-out and underlines yourself.

Page 48... 2016 BYLAW PROPOSAL NO. 7

The following rules govern Reserve/Injured:
(C)
Designated Free Activation from Reserve Injured.
During each season a team will be permitted to return one player from the Reserve/Injured List to its 53-player Active/Inactive List. Such player must have suffered a major football-related injury (defined as an injury that renders the player physically unable to practice or play football for a period of at least six weeks [42 calendar days] from the date that the injury occurred) after reporting to training camp and must have been placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the final roster reduction. A player who is eligible to return must be noted as “Designated for Return” at the time the player is placed on Reserve on the first day that he returns to practice.

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2016%20Playing%20Rules%20Proposals.pdf  wrote:

Steelers site, who also has a copy of the proposals that is easy to copy and paste

From what I can tell, the Steelers didn't IR Golson until 10/08/2016 and he never played a game all year.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago
Good stuff, beast.

It's crazy this is so hard to find. Stuff like this used to be simple and should be.

We'll have to wait to see what we do with Mont, tomorrow, to hear the explanation of what's happening with him.

Oh, HUGE SMILE on "This time"... Hilarious.
UserPostedImage

nerdmann
6 years ago

Hey uffda, nice to see you post a 53 man roster projection. 😄
I see that two ST guys made it onto your as WRs too (mine too)

What have you been hearing about Donatello Brown? I haven't been hearing about him... of course every time I hear that first name my mind goes elsewhere.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: beast 

Donatello is #54.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
6 years ago
I'll try and make one before the make the cuts are official today.

QB: Rodgers, Hundley (2)
RB: Montgomery, Williams, Jones, Mays, Rip (5)
WR: Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Davis, Janis, Dupre, Yancey (7)
TE: Bennett, Kendricks, Rodgers (3)
OL: Bakh, Lane, Linsley, Evans, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs, Barclay (8) (25 O)
DL: Daniels, Clark, Lowry, RJF, Ringo, Adams (6)
ILB: Ryan, Martinez, Thomas (3)
OLB: Perry, Clay, Fackrell, Gilbert, Brooks (5)
CB: House, Rollins, Randall, King, Gunter, Hawkins (6)
S: Haha, Burnett, Jones, Brice, Evans (5) (25 D)
ST: Crosby, Vogel, Goode (3 ST)

I think after cut downs we might add another OL from somewhere else or an OLB like Datone if he gets cut from the vikings. I was thinking they might be waiting to sign Brooks until after Adams gets put on IR but I put him on here anyways.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (12h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (12h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (12h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.