porky88
15 years ago
I hope he's ok and I hope that if true then the people who did this are found and punished accordingly.
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

If it's true, they will not get away with it...no sir, not this time. I find it interesting that when you go to the Houston Chronicle website, it isn't even listed as a story. If you want to find the story, you need to put it in a search box. Once you do that, it takes you to a story with a dateline from Green Bay.

Well Houston, I have some news for you. Not only will the whole state of Wisconsin be looking over your shoulder, so will the rest of this country... If you aren't too busy, you might want to send one of your own reporters to find out wtf happened, other than the police statement.

"dfosterf" wrote:

To be fair, all of the local news stations reported it on the 5pm local news show as well as on their website.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6513600 

http://www.click2houston.com/news/18019261/detail.html 

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7902053&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1 

And now that Quannel X is involved, he'll make sure to make this a national story.
blank
tromadz
15 years ago

I cannot believe that such police are allowed to remain on duty while being investigated.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

because police get accused of this stuff all the time and 99% of the time it's crap. Is this part of the 1%?

We'll see.

It's likely pretty easy to disprove if it's not true.

I mean....DAMN THE POLICE! POWER HUNGRY NAZIS! RABBLE RABBLE

(better?)
evad04
15 years ago

I cannot believe that such police are allowed to remain on duty while being investigated.

"tromadz" wrote:

because police get accused of this stuff all the time and 99% of the time it's crap. Is this part of the 1%?

We'll see.

It's likely pretty easy to disprove if it's not true.

I mean....DAMN THE POLICE! POWER HUNGRY NAZIS! RABBLE RABBLE

(better?)

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Care to substantiate this? Police brutality has only recently (as in the last 15 years or so) become a widely reported topic. There's plenty of truth to power abuses. It doesn't mean all-cops-be-damned. Just the bad ones.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
djcubez
15 years ago
Well here's my question. We acknowledge the fact that police at 1:30 AM pulled Driver Sr over for traffic violations. 30-60 minutes later, at 2ish AM he ends up at the hospital in intensive care. Driver Sr says it's cop abuse, the police say nothing. What do you believe? What else could have happened in that narrow timeframe? I mean, everyone is due legal process, but by all means the cops should be put on leave if they are accused of such brutality. I don't think that part should even be in question.

Winston was with Marvin Driver 1:30 a.m. Monday when police took him into custody for outstanding traffic warrants.

A short time after officers drove off with Marvin Driver, he was rushed to the hospital.

After reading this quote it becomes even more apparent that something was awry. I mean, besides beating the shit out of himself in the back of a cop car with handcuffs on, how else could he be bloodied, unresponsive, and now in a coma like syndrome? And if he did beat the crap out of himself, this shouldn't even be a case, the police would have already released a statement revealing it.

Marvin Driver also told family members he knew one of the officers personally and that the officers made disparaging comments about Donald Driver during the incident.

I apologize for all the edits but this quote even more suggests foul play. It's ridiculous something like this can still happen in this country. I guess some rednecks really are pissed about a black president...
Since69
15 years ago

Well here's my question. We acknowledge the fact that police at 1:30 AM pulled Driver Sr over for traffic violations. 30-60 minutes later, at 2ish AM he ends up at the hospital in intensive care. Driver Sr says it's cop abuse, the police say nothing. What do you believe? What else could have happened in that narrow timeframe? I mean, everyone is due legal process, but by all means the cops should be put on leave if they are accused of such brutality. I don't think that part should even be in question.

Winston was with Marvin Driver 1:30 a.m. Monday when police took him into custody for outstanding traffic warrants.

A short time after officers drove off with Marvin Driver, he was rushed to the hospital.

"djcubez" wrote:

After reading this quote it becomes even more apparent that something was awry. I mean, besides beating the shit out of himself in the back of a cop car with handcuffs on, how else could he be bloodied, unresponsive, and now in a coma like syndrome? And if he did beat the crap out of himself, this shouldn't even be a case, the police would have already released a statement revealing it.

Marvin Driver also told family members he knew one of the officers personally and that the officers made disparaging comments about Donald Driver during the incident.

I apologize for all the edits but this quote even more suggests foul play. It's ridiculous something like this can still happen in this country. I guess some rednecks really are pissed about a black president...

Or... Martin Driver got pulled over for a legitimate reason, stuffed drugs down his own throat so the cops couldn't find it, and sustained injuries while resisting arrest. Hell, maybe he even attacked the cops and they acted in self defense.

Equally believable. Maybe even more so. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.
UserPostedImage
Heatherthepackgirl
15 years ago
IMO, even if the the cops acted in self defense, this still don't give them the right to beat someone up like the way they did. We dont know all the facts. I would suspend those cops til the full investigation is complete. There are good cops and bad.

My prayers go out to the Driver family, hope his father is okay.
Heathiee
dfosterf
15 years ago

If it's true, they will not get away with it...no sir, not this time. I find it interesting that when you go to the Houston Chronicle website, it isn't even listed as a story. If you want to find the story, you need to put it in a search box. Once you do that, it takes you to a story with a dateline from Green Bay.

Well Houston, I have some news for you. Not only will the whole state of Wisconsin be looking over your shoulder, so will the rest of this country... If you aren't too busy, you might want to send one of your own reporters to find out wtf happened, other than the police statement.

"mattresell" wrote:

To be fair, all of the local news stations reported it on the 5pm local news show as well as on their website.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6513600 

http://www.click2houston.com/news/18019261/detail.html 

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7902053&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1 

And now that Quannel X is involved, he'll make sure to make this a national story.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Excellent point.

So what you are saying is that I jumped to a conclusion before all the facts were in. That is a more than fair assessment. I will hold in abeyance any further conclusions until more information is available. If it does come down as most evidence to date seems to indicate, I will be seconding Pack93Z's solution for the accused.

FWIW, I have a very good friend here. He has a several strikes against him. One, he is a former doggie. Two, he is an avid Eagles fan. And three, he's a friggin' cop, or more specifically, a detective in CID (Criminal Investigative Division). He's caucasion, his partner is African American. They do murders. The nature of the beast is that their subjects of interest are invariably young black males. I have seen this man work, and there is not a racist bone in his body. I have even broached this subject with him, asking how he can maintain objectivity when he sees so much that could easily sway him towards stereotyping , profiling, racism, etc. He told me; "These young men have mom's too... I get to- and have to- talk to them all the time." (How prohetic those words turned out) I actually witnessed this man risk his own life (unnecessarily, imo- I'da smoke-checked the dude) to defuse a situation between two African Americans rolling out of a bar, one of them pointing a weapon at the other... I was sure the armed man was going to kill the other guy...the words and actions...well, you read what I would have done... My friend didn't even pull his weapon or shield out. Instead, he said; "Frankie, I know your mom, man... gimme that fucking gun."
Dude did. My friend acted like it was just another minute in the day...btw this was just one bar down from the drug dealer/cop bar we had just rolled out of, that I love, but can only go into w/him or another cop.(these guys aren't right :icon_smile: )

He has a gazillion awards for heroism, you'd never know it talking to him. The only reason I know about it is because the Mayor gives out the awards annually and it's on TV. He doesn't even show up, and if he did, he'd practically live on the stage getting awards. He didn't arrest Frankie, by the way, he just took his gun and told him to go home and sleep it off.
My friend is a good cop, and so is his partner, and so are all the other ones I have the great gift of knowing through my friendship with him. I think I can speak for all of them when I say that Pack93z has an excellent solution if these allegations prove to be true, and they would respectfully request that everyone remain aware that 99.999% of them don't operate that way... And from what I have seen, it wouldn't even work, but that's another long story, it has to do with how they catch murderers.
15 years ago

IMO, even if the the cops acted in self defense, this still don't give them the right to beat someone up like the way they did. We dont know all the facts. I would suspend those cops til the full investigation is complete. There are good cops and bad.

My prayers go out to the Driver family, hope his father is okay.

"Heatherthepackgirl" wrote:

And even if they did "have to" beat him into a coma because he was so out of control (which is crap, do they not carry tazers in Houston?), there should be extensive police reports about the incident, and he should have been taken to receive medical care by the officers or a unit that was called in.
UserPostedImage