15 years ago
Word is he was upgraded from critical(?) to GOOD. Very good news!
UserPostedImage
vegOmatic
15 years ago
Not having all the facts never stopped anyone from filling their mouth with foot.
blank
IronMan
15 years ago
Cops in case of Drivers father taken off duty

Link 

By JUAN A. LOZANO Associated Press Writer November 21, 2008

HOUSTON Three Houston police officers under investigation for allegedly beating the father of Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver have been taken off patrol duty, officials said Friday.
Advertisement
Quantcast

The decision was welcomed by Marvin Driver Jr.s family members, who said they now want the officers fired and brought up on charges.

We just want justice, Michael Driver, Marvin Drivers son, said after a news conference Friday outside his fathers home.

Donald Driver, who was back at practice today, said he spent the last several days talking with his father and trying to understand what had happened. He said he's hopeful justice is served, adding that he couldn't talk about that.

"My biggest thing is that internal affairs is going to handle every situation, so when they find out something theyll let me know," he said.

Officers Bacilio Guzman, Gilberto Cruz and M. Marin have been reassigned to administrative duties pending the outcome of an investigation, Houston Police Chief Harold Hurtt said in a statement.

Hurtt said he made his decision after receiving a preliminary briefing late Thursday.

We take allegations such as these very seriously and will conduct a thorough investigation into the matter and be transparent in our findings, whatever the conclusion, Hurtt said.

Houston police spokesman Victor Senties said he did not know how long the investigation would take to complete.

Family members of 56-year-old Marvin Driver claim he was arrested early Monday morning outside his mothers home, where he also lives, for outstanding traffic warrants. But before arriving at a Houston jail, they say, he was taken to a gas station where he was beaten by at least two officers and had something forced down his throat.

Marvin Drivers family initially said he was only able to communicate with them through handwritten notes.

Michael Driver, 26, said his father, who earlier in the week had been in critical condition, was in good condition on Friday and his health was improving.

Doctors have told family members that the injuries were the result of blunt force trauma and that he suffered head injuries and has bruises in his abdomen area from being kneed to the stomach, Michael Driver said.

Hurtt said investigators are awaiting medical reports on Marvin Driver to determine what injuries he sustained.

In his statement, Hurtt said that Marvin Driver, after being arrested during a traffic stop at about 1:30 a.m. Monday, was taken to a city jail. At the facility, a doctor found him unresponsive and he was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital.

The Internal Affairs Division of the Houston Police Department is investigating the familys claims.

Pack93z
15 years ago
What a mess.. the good news is that Donald's fathers health is okay.

Glad they took at the 3 officers off patrol until this is straightened out and understood as to what took place.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
15 years ago
This is such a disturbing story. I hate to see anybody beaten up, but for it to be somebody's FATHER is very weird. I suppose it was inevitable that race would come into the discussion, but do we even know for sure that the police officers were white? Let's see what facts come out over the next few weeks before making any sweeping statements.
blank
RaiderPride
15 years ago

This is such a disturbing story. I hate to see anybody beaten up, but for it to be somebody's FATHER is very weird. I suppose it was inevitable that race would come into the discussion, but do we even know for sure that the police officers were white? Let's see what facts come out over the next few weeks before making any sweeping statements.

"Greg C." wrote:

Greg.

One of them might have been.

The three officers are named Bacilio Guzman, Gilberto Cruz and M. Marin.

Guzman is a common Fillipino sir name? Cruz is a common hispanic sir name? Marin? I have no idea.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Greg.

Guzman is a common Fillipino sir name? Cruz is a common hispanic sir name? Marin? I have no idea.

"Greg C." wrote:

Marin is a Hispanic name as well.
blank
15 years ago

"mattresell" wrote:

Greg.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Marin is a Hispanic name as well.

"Greg C." wrote:

so is Guzman...

this is going to start the Mexican vs. Blacks race war. Mexicans give 3 for home field advantage.
dfosterf
15 years ago
I am not drawing any conclusions on the facts of this case, as the facts may or may not have emerged. I will say that I have been following the story via the Houson Chronicle. As of last evening there was little or no additional news. However, there were at the time of my review 423 comments on the posted story. Some of them were on the story itself, many of the comments were referencing things heard on the varoius local newscasts, and one heckuva lot of the commentary was simply a bunch of racist dribble...sadly prejudicial. One of the posters claimed to be a friend of one of the cops, and (she?) swears he would never do such a thing, etc. This, of course , set off a firestorm of opinions, yada, yada, yada.

I'm going to try to be fair to the city of Houston, here. I am going to equate the posters replying to that story to the posters that opt to comment on stories in the JS online, or the GBP Gazette stories...imo populated by a bunch of morons, not reflective of the community.

Apparently there is/was news of DD's dad having swallowed a bag of cocaine at the time of his arrest. This is not referenced in the story commented upon, but apparently comes from the TV media. Apparently the officers in "question" are two hispanics. I saw no reference in the commentary to the third officer. Apparently there is a larger issue in Houston as regards hispanic/African American race relations, hispanic police, the Border Patrol, etc. I guess what I am saying is that it is a mess, and there is no way to get to the truth of the matter to date...just opened a big can of worms down there. I didn't read anywhere in those comments how a bag of cocaine causes blunt force trauma to the brain, but I'm no doctor...
Blitz
15 years ago
This has to be motivation for Donald Driver against the Houston Texans. I hope the rest of the team picks up on it & gives Houston an old school thrashing.
"... There.. is.. your.. dagger..!! "