Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Smokey  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:44:31 PM(UTC)
With the Chargers and the Rams in Los Angles as the Raiders prepare to move to Las Vegas , it does not seem too far off that we may see an NFL team in London . IMO , that team will be the Jaguars .
They already make more money playing in Europe over Florida . How long before it happens however is the question.

Other locations that have gained access to the short list include Mexico City . Berlin and Barcelona and Amsterdam , IMO, could also be prime locations .
Porforis  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 6:36:39 AM(UTC)
How many players would take a pay cut to NOT have to pull those overseas trips 8 times a year (just for games)?
Smokey  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:42:18 AM(UTC)
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post
How many players would take a pay cut to NOT have to pull those overseas trips 8 times a year (just for games)?

A good point, but by then the newest updated versions of the SST (the old Concord) may well be in service. Also , schedules can be drawn up so that 2 or even 3 games could be played in America before the need to fly back to London . The Training Camp Facilities like the Redskins have in Richmond ,Va could serve as a home away from home. The Team could choose a location and have such a facility ready for a London team's first season .

The NFL has a long range goal to expand into markets beyond the U.S. . Europe already had a taste of the real thing with the NFL Europe experience . It had teams in many of Europe's largest cities and for the most part did very well .

Yes there would be problems , but the profits will greatly outweigh the obstacles . 10 , 15 , or maybe even 20 years in the future , but it will come to pass .

Cheers!
beast  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:44:40 AM(UTC)
Do Jags make money in Europe because they earn more from fans or because NFL is subsidizing them?

The biggest problem is that players in Europe will be taxed at a much higher rate... so players with smaller contracts but taxed less could make more money.

So to be competitive they would need a higher cap limit which will create problems.

Also time zone issues. People already complain about West to east... Think about West to London.

Personality I hate the idea, it's America's game... if they spread it, it will also be diluted... I much rather take it to Canada before Europe
Poppa San  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:16:12 PM(UTC)
Only makes sense if there are more teams in Europe. Flying the Seahawks and Cardinals to London for one game every few seasons doesn't make sense. Road teams are at a serious disadvantage whenever a London based team is brought up.

What is more likely IMO is a 17th game in the regular season played at an international site such as the ones mentioned before. Sandwich them between a bye week or two, then they becomes doable.
beast  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:57:51 PM(UTC)
Poppa San said: Go to Quoted Post
What is more likely IMO is a 17th game in the regular season played at an international site such as the ones mentioned before. Sandwich them between a bye week or two, then they becomes doable.

When they were talking about having 18 games per season, I brought up that idea... have 17 games, 8 home, 8 away, 1 Non-NFL City Game

The Non-NFL City Game would allow for the International Games as well as maybe allowing the Packers to host a game in Milwaukee, Madison or Canada... or anywhere they can find a stadium they like.

Packers game at Camp Randall Stadium every other year, or something.

The hardest part would be on the schedule makers and getting an agreement on where the extra opponents will be coming from.
Smokey  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:26:03 AM(UTC)
Sunday Breakfast + NFL Football = Yeah Baby !

food44375.jpg (7kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Poppa San  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:31:19 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
When they were talking about having 18 games per season, I brought up that idea... have 17 games, 8 home, 8 away, 1 Non-NFL City Game

The Non-NFL City Game would allow for the International Games as well as maybe allowing the Packers to host a game in Milwaukee, Madison or Canada... or anywhere they can find a stadium they like.

Packers game at Camp Randall Stadium every other year, or something.

The hardest part would be on the schedule makers and getting an agreement on where the extra opponents will be coming from.
Guaranteeing a "good" game at a neutral site would be tough.  Watching the Bengals and Cardinals implode this season and if they were in say Barcelona week 4?  Or anyone vs the Jets or other bottom feeders this season.
PackFanWithTwins  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:55:12 PM(UTC)
Playing a couple games a year works because people travel from much of Europe to see because they are something "new" and different and the people are coming from all over. When you watch a game, they are wearing jerseys from every team. Well not the Bears or Vikings or Lions, but every other team. Try moving a team there and expect that same turnout for 8 games every year and I think you are expecting to much. I can't see them building a single team fanbase. Football is not their sport.

Smokey  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:13:42 PM(UTC)
Teams like the former NFL Europe's' London Monarchs, Barcelona Dragons, and Rein Fire delivered a quality product and drew good stadium crowds. The issue was as I believe that the games did not get the ratings needed on American Television. It did however turn many in Europe on American Football. Expanding markets for American Sports like NFL Football and Baseball is no less than what European Soccer leagues are trying to do in America .

It may not happen soon , but someday the NFL will go "true' international.

Enjoy your Sunday Breakfast / NFL Game this Sunday , I will .
Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 11:40:00 AM(UTC)
"London Jaguars falling down, falling down, falling down, my fair lady!""Flapper
Rss Feed