wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Please don't draw me into any family dramas. I express what I believe to be good ideas, but not all ideas apply to all occasions. I wish all a happy and safe holiday season. Cash gifts can serve well as gifts for some, but others need a more personal gift to satisfy them.

As a great gift, put together an artificial flower arrangement (silk), it's a big hit with the ladies.

Happy Holidays

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I am drawing you into any family drama. My family doesn't know you nor you them. So there is no way for you to be included in our association.

If you go back and look at last year's Christmas posts, you chastised me for giving my family cash instead of giving them gives they neither need nor want. You basically said you thought it to be terrible. (My adjective not yours.)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

I am drawing you into any family drama. My family doesn't know you nor you them. So there is no way for you to be included in our association.

If you go back and look at last year's Christmas posts, you chastised me for giving my family cash instead of giving them gives they neither need nor want. You basically said you thought it to be terrible. (My adjective not yours.)

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I've changed my tune a bit on cash for gift. I'm going to give my girls a card and cash. I simply suck at waiting. Example, they wanted their lofts gone and wanted normal beds with drawers and headboards. I could (should) have waited and made them Christmas presents. Instead, I ordered them days later. I'm pretty terrible at this.

A card with a hand written message and cash is how I'm rolling this Christmas. I've got a gift for each girl in mind. And of course my almost five year old will still get presents but my 20, 16 and 14 year, it's card and cash. No gift cards though, I still hate those things.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
What is more important when giving gifts to your children, Equal number of gifts, equal dollar values, both or neither?

My wife and mother are of the thinking that each kid needs the same number of gifts and the same dollar value. To me that is the easiest way to out spend your budget. I can maybe see it with a couple kids that are close in ages and young. To them the more the better, as kids get older they start getting into more expensive likes so in order to keep them with the same number of gifts as younger kids, you end up buying little "junk" things just to make up the difference without spending more.

Next year my twins will be off to college, while I know they will be back for the holidays, I'm wondering how different the season will be when we are down to just our last child being home all the time. Once they leave though it will be like Christmas for me all year when I convert one of their bedrooms into my work room.

Enjoy Christmas how ever you prefer and don't let what somebody else thinks get in your way of enjoying the holidays.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
As different as we all are, the goal is to have a Merry Christmas. If my or any other member's gift ideas don't fit your situation, then do what works best for you. As for me, gift giving is as personal as hand carving a figure or going that extra measure to know the correct sizes for shirts/pants. I want my gift to say that I put some thought into it and that just getting someone coldly checked of my list did not occur.

For me, it is sad when I hear that other families gather at Christmas to throw another log on their family's feuds. I have witnessed this in the past with other families. The best I could do was to leave as quickly as I could.

Does anyone make or regularly have a Special Christmas Desert ?

I love Coconut Cake . [biggrin]

UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
 Santa 1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Are you ready for your Christmas ?

UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
 images (6).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
Smokey, no one can draw you into their "family drama". And you are constantly "ordering" people on here what to do (or NOT to do). I'm sorry if not all of us have your idea of perfect lives.
I have no children. My parents are dead (have been since 1974, Dad, and 1990, Mom) and my brother since 1994.
No other family members that really seem to care.
So my Christmas is just me and the wife, and our Chihuahua, Baby Girl.
I wish I could have a big Christmas, but it won't happen.
Enjoy them while you can. And make the best of it. That's what I do.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
At this time of the year it is not unheard of that some will be all alone or depressed about their lives or even resent the fortunate ones that can gather together with relatives and friends. Some people are not happy unless they can make others unhappy. Then there are the ones that try to pick up the spirits of those around them. The "Scrooges" among us like to look up at them and say "humbug".

If it makes one happy to parade their political and/or religious views, especially during the holiday season,
in a forum where many come to escape such stuff, then I can't stop them. If one has no Christmas Spirit, they might find some at a local Retirement Home or Children's Hospital. Giving makes many feel the Christmas Spirit and giving out Woolen Socks at a Homeless Shelter would also mean a lot to those that are in worse need.

Yes I do post my opinions, but they are most certainly not orders. And yes there are those that do spin others opinions into their personal dramas. I've witnessed it myself on many occasions.

I can't make GB win the SB or make people agree to disagree pleasantly, or even get others to be better parents to their kids, but perhaps I can offer some of my Christmas Spirit to ease another's holiday blues.

XMAS 2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
 Santa32.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Merry Christmas

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
I think some stating that they don't have a "perfect" Christmas would make those that do appreciate what they have even more.
And I have a Christmas spirit! I appreciate what Jesus did for me!
(Sorry if I put "religion" into Christmas)
UserPostedImage