Rockmolder
6 years ago
Jordy's (close to) done. He'll be a 33 year old WR, coming off an atrocious season. Even if you project his numbers with Rodgers under center to a whole season, you'd only get to 800 yards on 70 catches. That'd make for an 11.4 average.

I feel like the balls he's getting are mostly because of the familiarity between him and Rodgers. WRs tend to drop off dramatically after 32. From Brandon Marshall to Torry Holt to Isaac Bruce to Donald Driver to Greg Jennings to Randy Moss... There are quite some examples. Only real freaks of nature like Larry Fitzgerald and Terrell Owens manage to produce WR1 numbers while approaching 35.

Add to that that he just didn't look like he was getting a lot of seperation.

I don't think he's completely done and I see how he could be serviceable for another year. Maybe two. But there's no way he's worth the $12.5 million cap hit. Save yourself those $10 million.

That gives you enough cap space to take a look at a guy like Allen Robinson or Sammy Watkins. Both could be picked up for discount prices because of injuries and underperforming.

Keep Cobb around for that last year to smoothen the transition. Cobb is overrated, but if you manage to get Adams paired up with Watkins or Robinson on the outside, Cobb should be able to do some thing out of the slot.

I don't really care about Matthews staying or going. On one side, he's not worth the pricetag anymore. On the other side, if you cut him, you'll have to find a replacement and you'll probably overpay on a one year deal in free agency. Might as well keep him.

I'm not a fan of a restructuring, though. There's no way he'll accept a contract that pays him the same over 3 years as he's getting over 1 now, so you'll be stuck with a declining player who's eating up $5-6 million of cap space for the next three years, rather than getting it over with and eating the $11.4 million now he's still somewhat of a factor when rushing the passer.

I'd keep Bulaga. I thought his cap hit was $7.9 million, rather than $8.35. Either way, you save about $5 million. When you factor in the state of our o-line right now, the cap space we have and level of play Bulaga shows when he is healthy, I wouldn't cut him. If he gets injured again or just doens't play up to his contract, we can always cut him next year. That'll save us nearly $7 million.
nerdmann
6 years ago
Jordy’s done. I was thinking he could bulk up and be the stopgap TE until a newly drafted rookie got up to speed in a coule years. But I’m not even sure he can run for a TE anymore. Your top two are probably Davante and Ty, Cobb and Yancey can compete for #3, maybe Trevor Davis will make a statement. Wouldn’t bother me to draft a guy either. Most of our talent at this position are scrubs.

Move Clay inside. Let’s see what Pettine can do with him. Dude still plays at full speed. What does scare me about Clay is he just had a “cleanup” procedure on his knee. Which sounds alot like what Driver had done, the offseason before he couldn’t run anymore.

Absolutely bring Bulaga back.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
isocleas2
6 years ago
Mathews actually had a pretty good year if healthy for 16 games his stats would have probably gotten him into the probowl. Of course that's always one of the knocks with him you'll rarely get a full season of play, but considering the cost to replace pass rushers I'm not sure the Packers can do much better. I'm hoping they use their 1st or 2nd round pick on another pass rusher who can help spell Perry + Mathews when they inevitably get banged up.

If forced to pick between Cobb or Nelson I'd probably take Cobb also, he's younger and still can get some seperation in the slot.

Bulaga I don't see the harm in letting sit on the shelf since he's injured wouldn't they have to do some kind of buyout or wait to cut him until he's healthy? Doesn't seem like they'd save enough money to justify it. The only exception is if the Packers draft some stud Right tackle at #14 and feel he can start right away. At which point they may feel moving on from Bulaga can happen day 1.

So if the Packers need the cap room I'd probably cut Jordy and sign a younger FA or draft someone early. The rest I don't think we really gain enough by cutting/replacing.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Forced between Nelson and Cobb, I take Nelson. Cobb is replaced by Montgomery moving to WR.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
The thing about Nelson is people, fans, are casting him wrong. He isn't the speedster. He is a possession receiver who gets the first down. That's probably not worth $12 million a year but he knows how to keep the defender away from the ball and Rodgers is one of the best at putting the ball in where only the receiver can catch it. They work well together.

Everyone complains about TOP and about keeping our defense (defence for you Rocky.) on the sidelines more. Aaron and Jordy are the duo who can do just that. I vote to cast Cobb drift and swallow the cap hit Nelson brings with him. He knows stuff. It's worth something.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
6 years ago
Id cut Cobb and Jordy and bring Jordy back as the slot WR at a reduced rate if he's open to it. If not you can probably get at least their production or similar for a lot cheaper.

Clay not worth his price tag but he's still a good player overall and we can't afford to lost those on defense maybe in the new defense we won't have to waste so many snaps on him ramming his head into OTs and getting nowhere and have him off the ball some instead. If money got tight during/after FA and we needed some space then I'd think about cutting but not unless it's necessary.

Bulaga you don't save enough money cutting him to be worth the risk of hoping Spriggs or Murphy can play like a starter - keep him.
6 years ago

The thing about Nelson is people, fans, are casting him wrong. He isn't the speedster. He is a possession receiver who gets the first down. That's probably not worth $12 million a year but he knows how to keep the defender away from the ball and Rodgers is one of the best at putting the ball in where only the receiver can catch it. They work well together.

Everyone complains about TOP and about keeping our defense (defence for you Rocky.) on the sidelines more. Aaron and Jordy are the duo who can do just that. I vote to cast Cobb drift and swallow the cap hit Nelson brings with him. He knows stuff. It's worth something.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Nelson can only get a first down if he catches it beyond the sticks now, though. He doesn't have the burst anymore to beat the first tackler. That's a major problem in this offense. Cobb at least still has the ability to break it for 20 more yards. I think you trade/cut Nelson, keep Cobb and bring in an outside receiver. There are quite a few on the FA market this offseason.

Hell, Nelson seems like he's close to choosing retirement anyway.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Nelson can only get a first down if he catches it beyond the sticks now, though. He doesn't have the burst anymore to beat the first tackler. That's a major problem in this offense. Cobb at least still has the ability to break it for 20 more yards. I think you trade/cut Nelson, keep Cobb and bring in an outside receiver. There are quite a few on the FA market this offseason.

Hell, Nelson seems like he's close to choosing retirement anyway.

Originally Posted by: TedThompsonsShades 

Of Nelson's 53 receptions 38 were first downs. That's 71.7%. 10th best for WRs with 50 or more receptions.

Adams of course had more receptions at 74 but he was 60.8%.
Cobb 66-29-43.9%.

As I said Nelson isn't a speed receiver but he moves the chains nearly every time he catches the ball. I guess that means he does get beyond the sticks.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
I think of the two WRs that Nelson may be the one most willing to restructure. Move him to slot. Cut Cobb and try to sign Watkins.
porky88
6 years ago
No reason to choose Cobb or Nelson. Both should be cut.

I would keep Matthews and Bulaga. I kind of think they can restructure Bulaga’s deal. I would also resign Morgan Burnett. Josh Jones is not ready.