buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
Not sure how you penalize Nelson and Cobb because Hundley couldn't get on t he same page as them.

I think you all might want to look what's behind Nelson, Adams and Cobb.
Lot of potential but not much experience.

I also know(and they do to) that the money being spent on the wr position in 2018 is too much.

I look for extensions for both, turning what's owed in 2018 into a signing bonus then spreading that out over the extension and base salaries around 1-2 mil.

Gutekunst and Ball don't want go get off to a bad start, it may snowball into something really bad!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
6 years ago

Of Nelson's 53 receptions 38 were first downs. That's 71.7%. 10th best for WRs with 50 or more receptions.

Adams of course had more receptions at 74 but he was 60.8%.
Cobb 66-29-43.9%.

As I said Nelson isn't a speed receiver but he moves the chains nearly every time he catches the ball. I guess that means he does get beyond the sticks.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Nelson averaged 2 YAC. Cobb was more than three times that. But I was just going by the eye test. Nelson is on fumes.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Nelson averaged 2 YAC. Cobb was more than three times that. But I was just going by the eye test. Nelson is on fumes.

Originally Posted by: TedThompsonsShades 

I didn't say he ran for 30 yards after catching the ball. He got past the line to gain and then caught the ball. That's all. He was one of the best in the league.

Never mind. It really doesn't matter.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
All I know is Jordy was leading the league in TD's after 5 games.

Anybody can cherry pick stats and find something bad about every receiver in the league.
Jordy is every agents worst nightmare.
He already said there was no way he could spend all the money after signing his last contract.
He also said he is open for discussion on redoing the contract.
I won't even get into the value of Jordy as a veteran leader.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
blueleopard
6 years ago
Jordy said he's opening to restructuring his deal, and at this point, he absolutely has to.

Cobb is the more valuable player. Look no further than the game against Carolina. He was one of very few that consistently got open.

Allen Robinson and Josh Gordon are easily worth the money that Jordy is currently making. He led the league in touchdowns but you can't forget a lot of the coverage was also being put on the other receivers + Marty B, who as useless as he was still had a bunch of mismatches.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
beast
6 years ago

Cobb is the more valuable player. Look no further than the game against Carolina. He was one of very few that consistently got open.

Originally Posted by: blueleopard 

One game with a horrible backup QB, makes Cobb more valuable? NO! Hundley only throws short, so of course the WR that runs short routes appears to be open more than the guy that Hundley never even freaking looks at... just because Hundley can't find Nelson open, doesn't mean Nelson didn't get open...

Also you gave a single game, try the entire 2015 year, with no Nelson, there was no deep threat and teams just sat on the underneath routes all year...which lead to Rodgers worst QB rating since 2006. This offense needs someone on the outside to be a potential deep threat, Nelson is slowing down, but with Rodgers throwing it in 2016, Nelson got back on track after a slow start, shaking off the rust... where Cobb has just been average over the last 3 years (and his contract is larger than Nelson)

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
6 years ago

Of Nelson's 53 receptions 38 were first downs. That's 71.7%. 10th best for WRs with 50 or more receptions.

Adams of course had more receptions at 74 but he was 60.8%.
Cobb 66-29-43.9%.

As I said Nelson isn't a speed receiver but he moves the chains nearly every time he catches the ball. I guess that means he does get beyond the sticks.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

That's actually pretty impressive. I hadn't seen that stat. I still don't think he's worth keeping, with his physical attributes clearly deteriorating, but that does some how saviness and awareness on the field.
steveishere
6 years ago
Jordy just doesn't have the legs any more. He slides after almost every single catch and goes down really easy on every tackle attempt. He looks like he's got way less juice than James Jones did in 2015 and everyone was fine with moving on from him. Jordy as a slot WR is fine but he's doesn't have what we need out of a perimiter WR if we want the offense to improve and you can't pay 2 slot WRs over 20m
Rockmolder
6 years ago

All I know is Jordy was leading the league in TD's after 5 games.

Anybody can cherry pick stats and find something bad about every receiver in the league.
Jordy is every agents worst nightmare.
He already said there was no way he could spend all the money after signing his last contract.
He also said he is open for discussion on redoing the contract.
I won't even get into the value of Jordy as a veteran leader.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Talking about cherry picking stats... Leading the league in TDs isn't a very good benchmark for skill. James Jones would've been the best receiver in 2012. Next to that, 5 games is an awfully small sample size.

Jordy is declining. It's obvious on tape as well as in his stats. That doesn't mean he's not worth anything. I can see why you'd want to keep him around based on the connection he has with Rodgers, his veteran savviness, his veteran leadership etc.

In the end, though, you only have a limited amount of funds. He's not worth his current pricetag. You can restructure, but you'll be stuck with a three year deal for a player who will only get worse from here on out.

I'm also quite afraid it'd impact our entire offense. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but Nelson isn't a slot receiver. He has the frame and skillset of an outside guy. You have to place him outside.

Davante mans the other position on the outside. There's no question there. Davante isn't amazingly fast either, though. Just like Nelson, he can run routes and place his body very well. That means you have no one to stretch the field on either side, with Nelson not getting any seperation anymore. Having Richard Rodgers as your tight end doesn't help that situation either. You need someone who's speed and explosiveness the defense will respect. We had that in Greg Jennings to start Rodgers' career and in Nelson in his prime the last few years. Allowing defenses to creep up and blitz will make your life rather hard in the pass and run game.

Now you can't predict or say that Watkins would blow our offense wide open, but a guy like that at a $1-2 million contract against Nelson on a $12.5 million contract... I'd gladly take that chance.
Rockmolder
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

I'm not quite sure what play that screenshot is from, but just look at the situation, I'm guessing that has more to do with a blown coverage and Hundley's lack of vision than Nelson's physical abilities to run away from a defender.

Just an assumption, though. I'd gladly be corrected if wrong.