beast
6 years ago

Update 

Rule will be tweaked.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

It sounds as he's speculating that their might be tweaked this offseason.

But it doesn't help that Rodgers reportedly claimed that he would be completely healthy and ready for a full practice in 4 weeks (when rules say he would need to be injured at least 6 weeks).... of course Packers can clearly just say that's player talk, as players always talk crazy when they can return (Goodson said he'd be ready for training camp, and I called the bluff from the start... there was no way he wasn't going to be on the PUP to start the season... just like it's unlikely Bulaga is going to be ready for training camp, but maybe a small chance he is ready for the season).

I think the Packers broke the rules as they are written... but how they're written and how they are applied are two different things... with how they're normally applied, I think Packers are doing what the NFL normally does... but we're in new territory with the return from IR rule (which NFL is NORMALLY lenient in new territory, unless it's a clear and purposeful violation or there were warnings ahead of time about it).

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
Let's look at this from uffdas side of things. If they do force us to release him and we lose an all time great, at least we know every one in the org will get fired and we'll get a fresh start
nerdmann
6 years ago

Let's look at this from uffdas side of things. If they do force us to release him and we lose an all time great, at least we know every one in the org will get fired and we'll get a fresh start

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

It's either the Vikings pushing this, because that's the type of cheap shot bullshitters they are, OR it's Aaron Rodgers himself, trying to finagle a way to become a free agent.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
6 years ago

I agree that the rule was not intended to be used like the Packers used it... but I honestly don't mind teams using it in that way... say due to an injury, we're shutting a guy down for the rest of the year. Of course maybe their should be a new IR for that... one that just says we can't replace his spot with a PS player from another team or something.

As for the IR to return... I dislike that it's limited to 2... I feel it should be an all or nothing rule... that all players on the IR are allowed to return after missing _ number of weeks or none of them. I think it should be an DL rule sorta like I think baseball has.

They did release FB Kerridge to claim C Dillon Day from the Broncos' PS.

I think "cheated" is the wrong phrase... I think "screwed up", or "made an error" would be more correct, as I don't feel as the Packers got any advantage, other than not having to address the media about Rodgers being on the inactive list and getting to sign C Dillon Day from the Broncos' PS.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I'm fine with the 2 players limitation. Its a 17 week season and if you could move players on and off willie nilly players with hangnails would be getting put on all the time. have a 6 week injury, slap him on IR and bring someone else in we can get him back in 6 weeks.. I don't like that idea.

As far as the cheated thing goes you know as well as I do that half the Packers fans saying there was nothing wrong with what the Packers did would be saying "there they go again cheating like always" if it had been the Patriots

The thing that bothers me about it and why I like the rule is everyone knows exactly what went on. Everyone knew Rodgers was not fully healthy and the only reason he came back was because we were still in playoff contention and we needed to win out. When that was no longer the case he was shelved for the rest of the year presumably because he was not healthy enough to play. I do not believe Aaron Rodgers hurt himself any more that he couldn't have played last night if we were still in contention. That's the kind of circumventing the rules I don't like no matter who does it.

Now I do think making them release a player is a bit harsh but maybe they make a rule that if a player is put on IR he has to miss 6 games period even if it runs into next season. Once the season ends he is moved from an IR to some other type of can't play list rather than the IR. not sure if I like that idea but it would prevent this sort of thing. Of course it would also prevent legitimate use of the IR after week 11 as well so that is probably not the answer.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

It's either the Vikings pushing this, because that's the type of cheap shot bullshitters they are, OR it's Aaron Rodgers himself, trying to finagle a way to become a free agent.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Why would the Vikings push that? They benefit from no Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Why would the Vikings push that? They benefit from no Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree, I doubt it's the Vikings... unless it came from their head coach. But their GM seems to be friends with Ted Thompson and all the former Packers turned GM for other teams... that's been seen sitting together a number of times.

If I had to randomly guess, I'd say Seahawks and Broncos are probably among the list. Broncos, because the Packers claimed one of their PS players with an option spot, that Rodgers might of filled... Seahawks, because they just got in their own trouble for an injured player item and want to say, you came down on us, what about them?
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

As far as the cheated thing goes you know as well as I do that half the Packers fans saying there was nothing wrong with what the Packers did would be saying "there they go again cheating like always" if it had been the Patriots

Originally Posted by: sschind 

But there is a huge difference... Bill Belichick's teams have long rumors history AND AT TIMES HAVE BEEN PROVEN, to dismiss the NFL rule book and just do what they think is best for them. From video taping on the sidelines, to video tapping the other teams practice leading up to the Super Bowl... deflategate rumors (which the NFL did a horrible job on on)... to claims Patriots used illegal balls  until they were able to get the rule official changed.

Patriots and Seahawks (under their current head coaches) have routinely broken rules over and over and over again... so say they would get the "there they go again, cheating like always" because those two teams completely deserve it.

And you might be able to throw Sean Payton, as a distance 3rd with bountygate and alleged Vicodin theft at Saints facility .

But to my limit knowledge, other teams might not get that reaction.

That's the kind of circumventing the rules I don't like no matter who does it.

First, I'll complained... that I don't know the rules, because the NFL (from what I can tell) has not released a copy of the updated bylaws. Under the old bylaws , it's 6 weeks from the date of injury (which counts Rodgers). Though Adam Schefter said it has to be a new injury... I still want to see the bylaw in writing.

Also according to Adam Schefter, "The league had to sign off on it, and the league did"... so the league signing off on it, would suggest that it's within league rules (or that that there is an exception, or someone not doing their job)... but we have not gotten the NFL saying it's against the rules (yet).

Also the old bylaws  (my understanding of them), did NOT say Rodgers should be released... it said anyone with a minor injury classification should be released once they're healthy. Where the Packers (most likely) labeled Rodgers with a major injury classification. So under the old bylaws, it would be wrongly used classification... which is punishable by what ever the commissioner sees fit (and not an automatic release of Rodgers). At least that's my understanding.

Now I do think making them release a player is a bit harsh but maybe they make a rule that if a player is put on IR he has to miss 6 games period even if it runs into next season. Once the season ends he is moved from an IR to some other type of can't play list rather than the IR. not sure if I like that idea but it would prevent this sort of thing. Of course it would also prevent legitimate use of the IR after week 11 as well so that is probably not the answer.

This is the first time this has happen... just simply make a clear ruling that either all teams can do this or that no teams can do this going forward... just make the rule clear as possible going forward.

UserPostedImage
dhazer
6 years ago
I would guess it would be the Browns pushing the rule, because they would have him off waivers. I say trade Rodgers to the Browns for 2 #1's and a 2nd rounder. Do it before we get nothing, plus your looking at #1 and #4 overall picks
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
6 years ago

I would guess it would be the Browns pushing the rule, because they would have him off waivers. I say trade Rodgers to the Browns for 2 #1's and a 2nd rounder. Do it before we get nothing, plus your looking at #1 and #4 overall picks

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Actually, I would be fine with that if Dom Capers was fired, Packers made a run at and signed Jimmy Garoppolo, and re-stocked the defense (and a WR) with those high picks.

It could actually work.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
This seems to have been a "news story " to give the talking heads something for over the holiday weekend.
We here mire about it early this week , there might be something to it.
I'll side with Andrew Brandt for now.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.