Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nonstopdrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:20:18 PM(UTC)
Reading through this old thread both reminds me of why I took such a long hiatus from this site and makes me realize how deeply I miss some of the folks I had the privilege to meet through PackersHome. I used to talk on the phone once in a while with dfosterf. DakotaT repeatedly invited me out to his place for some yearly beekeeping. I watched the Packers win the Super Bowl from a sports bar in the Netherlands with Rockmolder -- just one year after experiencing the heartbreak of watching the Packers fall to the Cardinals in the playoffs from a sports bar in Frankfurt, Germany. Wade catered my wedding with a five-course extravaganza prepared at his own hand. I used to consider zombieslayer my best friend, and we made some pretty awesome music together.

Now not a single one of them is in my life anymore. Thinking about this makes me feel indescribably sad. I'm going to go to bed now and try to forget about just how horribly alone I feel out here on the East Coast.

Updated by moderator Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:16:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rockmolder  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:46:52 AM(UTC)
Oh, man. It's like reading Facebook posts from five years ago that just make you cringe now. One heck of a thread you picked, Rourke.

I do sometimes wonder what happened to all those people. Apart from Vikesrule, they all just stopped logging in (for as far as I know, at least). It happens on every forum I've been on, but it is a shame. Doesn't feel like too long ago that everyone chipped in for a Wii for Cheesey, Foster was hyping up everyone here for his son's friend in the 2009 NFL draft (free applause if you can recall who that was. He's still in the league), Vikes was talking about the addiction he beat and Gilbert made me green with envy with his jearly trips from Germany to Lambeau.

That said, we could always turn this thread into something a bit more lighthearted. How's life, Rourke? And what are you doing on the East Coast?
wpr  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:25:39 AM(UTC)
I tried to get a hold of Montana Bob a couple of times in the past 5 years without any success. I even checked the obits and didn't see him listed that is a good sign.
Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:53:53 AM(UTC)
So, are we in favor of PACKERSHOME keeping old threads?
Cheesey  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:39:00 AM(UTC)
Hey Rock! Can you believe it's been NINE YEARS (next month) since my open heart surgery and you guys getting me the wii? And I STILL play it all the time! I will never forget the love you guys showed to me!!!
Rockmolder  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:07:43 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
I tried to get a hold of Montana Bob a couple of times in the past 5 years without any success. I even checked the obits and didn't see him listed that is a good sign.

That's some good news, at least. Such a shame that you can't really reach out to most of the members who left here. I imagine most e-mailaccounts used to open PackersHome accounts in 2007-2009 aren't in use anymore, either.

Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
So, are we in favor of PACKERSHOME keeping old threads?

Certainly.

Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Hey Rock! Can you believe it's been NINE YEARS (next month) since my open heart surgery and you guys getting me the wii? And I STILL play it all the time! I will never forget the love you guys showed to me!!!

It feels like a year or three.

Being completely honest, though... I didn't chip in, being the moneyless 15 year old that I was at that time. But I'll gladly take the praise I don't actually deserve.
wpr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:43:47 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post

Being completely honest, though... I didn't chip in, being the moneyless 15 year old that I was at that time. But I'll gladly take the praise I don't actually deserve.

Yeah the Euro to dollar conversion would have had Zero in a panic. I really liked using coins for the €1 and €2 instead of the paper version here in the States.

I remember you talking about taking an English class when you were in school and boring everyone because you talked about American football when they don't care about it at all. That took real moxie on your part.

The last thing I remember you talking about was going to university. I guess you are about 24 now. What job do you have? How's your career going? Have you landed a potential Mrs Rocky yet?
Rockmolder  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 6:37:57 AM(UTC)
Yeah the Euro to dollar conversion would have had Zero in a panic. I really liked using coins for the €1 and €2 instead of the paper version here in the States.

I remember you talking about taking an English class when you were in school and boring everyone because you talked about American football when they don't care about it at all. That took real moxie on your part.

The last thing I remember you talking about was going to university. I guess you are about 24 now. What job do you have? How's your career going? Have you landed a potential Mrs Rocky yet?

That could be true. Must've been a year or three ago. I'm working as an assistant at an accounting firm, trying to become something that resembles a certified public accountant in the US, I think?

And I have landed potentiel Mrs Rocky, as well as two cats that she kinda forced upon me, so it's almost like my own disfunctional family already.

And how are you, Wayne? Your son still doing fine?
wpr  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:29:37 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder said: Go to Quoted Post
That could be true. Must've been a year or three ago. I'm working as an assistant at an accounting firm, trying to become something that resembles a certified public accountant in the US, I think?

And I have landed potentiel Mrs Rocky, as well as two cats that she kinda forced upon me, so it's almost like my own disfunctional family already.

And how are you, Wayne? Your son still doing fine?

Good for you Rock. A little female companionship does a guy good. Yes in the States we abbreviate it CPA.

I am doing fine. My son is married. He and his wife live about 3 hours away. They bought a house. I kind of enjoy how our dynamics have changed in the last few years. I calls me for advice on a regular basis. Instead of just being my son he's my best friend also. Before he proposed (That was a couple of years ago.) He showed me the ring and we talked about it for a couple of days. I didn't tell my wife anything about his plans until he was ready. As they were getting things lined up for the wedding he stunned me by asking me to perform the ceremony. I took the weekend to think it over. I checked with the minister of my church and got his approval. I called the the County Clerk's Office in their city and checked with them. Since I am an elder in my church I was able to marry them. It was pretty interesting. They had an out door wedding. When my daughter in law started her walk I glanced over at my son to see the look on his face. It's a nice moment we shared.

He works at one of the local Veteran Administration hospitals. He is a Social Worker and he counsels military vets who have PTSD. Since he was injured in a suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan and struggles with PTSD himself he feels he understands what they are going through better than the rest of the Social Workers. Funny thing is he was planning on being a CPA himself before he switched. This college was interrupted by the year he was stationed overseas.

My daughter is another matter. She was married first. After less than 2 years of marriage they called it quits and are in the process of getting divorced.
Cheesey  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 3:20:16 PM(UTC)
Rock...didn't realize you were THAT young! 15 when I had my heart surgery ....wow....I can remember 15....if I think hard enough!LOL
Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 3:24:04 PM(UTC)
Man...thinking of all the people we don't see here anymore. Vikesrule, Trippster, Montana Bob, Formo. And the list goes on and on.
I wonder how Formo is liking the Vikings season? I wish he would come here again. He (and Vikesrule) were great guys.
I wonder how all the old members are doing?
Smokey  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 4:37:26 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Man...thinking of all the people we don't see here anymore. Vikesrule, Trippster, Montana Bob, Formo. And the list goes on and on.
I wonder how Formo is liking the Vikings season? I wish he would come here again. He (and Vikesrule) were great guys.
I wonder how all the old members are doing?

I'm certainly not so Old School, but New School friends should not be discounted. Some of us are poor and others are much better off. Yet what a true friend does best is listen .
Cheesey  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 7:28:16 PM(UTC)
I realize there are some great somewhat new guys here. The fact that old members are still thought of should be seen as a good thing. It means that some real friendships have been developed here.
I hope that someday guys here will remember me fondly.
yooperfan  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:52:12 AM(UTC)
I have only met two members from this forum, Cheesey being the most memorable, both at the same game; the snow bowl playoff game against the Seahawks.
I met Cheesey inside the stadium and the other guy (possibly Chuck something) at a tailgate party near Kroll's West.
I've been to many games since then and travel to Green Bay quite often.
It would be nice to meet more of you members.
Being an old retired guy, this site is about my only hobby and I thoroughly enjoy it.
Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:04:34 AM(UTC)
It would be nice to do a get together with members. I live in Green Bay so it should e easy for me to attend.
wpr  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:12:30 AM(UTC)
yooperfan said: Go to Quoted Post
I have only met two members from this forum, Cheesey being the most memorable, both at the same game; the snow bowl playoff game against the Seahawks.
I met Cheesey inside the stadium and the other guy (possibly Chuck something) at a tailgate party near Kroll's West.
I've been to many games since then and travel to Green Bay quite often.
It would be nice to meet more of you members.
Being an old retired guy, this site is about my only hobby and I thoroughly enjoy it.

We had a pretty nice tailgate party about 10 years ago. Cheesey drove up for the occasion. Zero dropped by before going back to man the computer for game day. Ironman was there. My wife and I were there for the game and brought a few things. There were a few others whom I sadly don't recall. What I do remember was the food was very good.
yooperfan  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:57:21 AM(UTC)
We had a pretty nice tailgate party about 10 years ago. Cheesey drove up for the occasion. Zero dropped by before going back to man the computer for game day. Ironman was there. My wife and I were there for the game and brought a few things. There were a few others whom I sadly don't recall. What I do remember was the food was very good.

I vaguely remember that and I vaguely remember planning to be there.
What I don't even vaguely remember is why I wasn't there.Confused

Cheesey  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:40:29 PM(UTC)
I remember that Wayne! It was the game against the Bengals. The Bengal mascots came over by us and I had my picture taken with them.
Trippster was there, and longtime fan (Jim). I don't remember who else was there.
And Yoop, it was fun meeting you at the "snow bowl" game. I still have the picture of you and me before the game ( and the snow) started.
A meeting of members this year would be fun! If it gets set up, hopefully I can make it there.
wpr  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:40:21 PM(UTC)
TRIPPSTER!!

I have been trying to remember who the Grillmaster was. I think he brought some great chilli too.

You got your picture taken with one of the 60s Packers too. He was wearing his SB ring.
Cheesey  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:00:54 PM(UTC)
Yup, Trippster did the cooking. He brought jambalaya too.
And the pic was with Dave Robinson!
I met him and Ron Kramer a couple years later at the Wisconsin sports show, and spent a couple hours with them talking about the "glory years". Got to try on his super bowl two ring, and Kramers 1961 championship ring. Also met Boyd Dowler, Donny Anderson and Bob Long there.

I got to try on 3 of the four super bowl rings . Robinsons #2, Ray Nitsckes SB one, and SB 31 ring of one of the board of directors.
Only missing the last one!
That my next goal!
Now HOW I get it done, I'm not sure.
Rss Feed