Cheesey
6 years ago
With Rodgers they have a shot at the playoffs. Without him, they are a below average team.
They NEED a decent defense, and a capable backup QB.
If they actually fill those needs, they have a shot at the super bowl.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

With Rodgers they have a shot at the playoffs. Without him, they are a below average team.
They NEED a decent defense, and a capable backup QB.
If they actually fill those needs, they have a shot at the super bowl.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

The defense really needs either a major superstar or a lot more assignment sure players on the roster. Preferably both. The offense can win games, even with a backup (not named Brett Hundley). I just don't think Brett has the decisiveness to be an effective winning QB in this league.

I don't dispute most of what you are saying but using Vegas as a source is as bad as saying a player is very good because he made the Pro Bowl. Vegas doesn't care a bit about the talent on a team. All they want is half the suckers betting for and half the suckers betting against a team so none of the money comes out of their pocket. It's a popularity vote the same as the Pro Bowl is. Granted a 0-16 team is going to have longer odds of winning the SB just like a guy who blows out his ACL ain't going to the PB.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Vegas is usually pretty accurate. They don't want to lose money so if they are thinking the Packers are legitimate Super Bowl contenders, they most likely are. Vegas isn't in the game to lose money. The Pro Bowl analogy is poor because Pro Bowl is voted based on popularity, rarely is it skill. Fans get to vote favorites, over and over and over again. Vegas doesn't go "hey i grew up watching Lombardi or play at same college, so I'm going to say Packers are x to y odds for Super Bowl!" ... completely absolutely different measurements.

Using Vegas a sole source, well, we all know never to use only one source for anything, ahem, Ron Borges. 
UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago
This thread is titled to be about Free Agents, Packer's and non-Packer's.

I don't know who the Free Agents are, does anyone ?

I'd like to read facts, player list, suggested trades. Drop X and add Y who ?

Trade Matthews for a Pro Bowl CB.

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
6 years ago

This thread is titled to be about Free Agents, Packer's and non-Packer's.

I don't know who the Free Agents are, does anyone ?

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Here are a couple of good lists, depending on what you're looking for.  There are some guys on there who are very likely to be retained by their own teams, though.

I'd like to read facts, player list, suggested trades. Drop X and add Y who ?

Trade Matthews for a Pro Bowl CB.

I can't imagine someone giving up a Pro Bowl CB for a declining OLB who's in his last year of a contract that pays him way too much for his current play.

Then again, I was also pretty certain that a game manager QB wasn't worth a promising and young nickel corner and a 3rd round pick, so what do I really know.
gbguy20
6 years ago
Are we sure that cap space total is correct? I could have sworn that is what we started the 2017 season with. Now that that is over much space should have opened up from expiring contracts. Or did everyone's raises for 2018 completely counteract all the space freed up from the expiring?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Are we sure that cap space total is correct? I could have sworn that is what we started the 2017 season with. Now that that is over much space should have opened up from expiring contracts. Or did everyone's raises for 2018 completely counteract all the space freed up from the expiring?

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I can't say whether the number is correct or not. I thought they had a lot of room.
Spotrac  has it at $19,257,978 for the top 51. $12,650,109 after the projected draft pool is allocated.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago
I'm glad that GB has responsible employees that are aware of the team's finances. It is comforting that professionals are on the payroll that know about salaries, bonuses, and the Cap. The Packers don't have to depend on what is posted in forums, blogs, or chat rooms.

Some players from the 2017 GB roster may not be invited back, could be traded, or they will be out played for another spot on the GB roster. I'm excited and hopeful for the 2018 Packers and I will be cautiously optimistic regarding their future.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

I'm glad that GB has responsible employees that are aware of the team's finances. It is comforting that professionals are on the payroll that know about salaries, bonuses, and the Cap. The Packers don't have to depend on what is posted in forums, blogs, or chat rooms.

Wait, what? What the heck is the point of forums, blogs and chat rooms if the Green Bay Packers are not going to follow our armchair uneducated over-arrogant analysis????!!! My world doesn't make sense anymore!!

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Some players from the 2017 GB roster may not be invited back, could be traded, or they will be out played for another spot on the GB roster. I'm excited and hopeful for the 2018 Packers and I will be cautiously optimistic regarding their future.

[cheers]

If it's true that GB only has $19 mil or so and they are 23rd out of 32 teams then I don't believe you can say that they have acted responsibly. Especially when that number drops to around $12 mil after the new rookies are signed. That doesn't leave much room for the veterans that they need to re-sign. I am not an expert but they are a very short step from being in Cap Hell.

It appears they will have to cut and or restructure the contracts of some pretty big names in order to move forward.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
6 years ago

If it's true that GB only has $19 mil or so and they are 23rd out of 32 teams then I don't believe you can say that they have acted responsibly. Especially when that number drops to around $12 mil after the new rookies are signed. That doesn't leave much room for the veterans that they need to re-sign. I am not an expert but they are a very short step from being in Cap Hell.

It appears they will have to cut and or restructure the contracts of some pretty big names in order to move forward.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

All true, however, your last statement says it all. The final numbers have not been determined until after final decisions on players . The very obvious candidates for cuts/renegotiation are Clay, Cobb, and Jordy.

If all three were to be cut it would add back about $25 mil to the cap. That probably won't happen.
I believe Jordy and Clay understand at this stage of their careers adjustments are due and justified as well.
I can certainly see where Cobb might well be headed out. He would be the easiest to replace with Montgomery and others.
The other player that is interesting is Ha Ha. There is 0 cap hit on his $6 mil salary. I mention this because he is really the only other player where significant cap numbers can be adjusted. Hey, they cut an All Pro guard out of the blue last year so who's to know?

What I'm saying is at least the Packers have options and flexibility depending on how all this shakes out so I'm not in judgement regarding the cap until it it does. I love me some Jordy and Clay. True Packer warriors but Father Time holds no prisoners.

"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.