Pack93z
15 years ago

I'm not denying any of this. I'm merely pointing out that we "control our own destiny". And more than that, we don't have to be anything special or become a different team. A win vs the Lions, Texans, Jaguars, and Bears can put us in the playoffs.

I'm only being optimistic, yet I don't feel it takes a ton of optimism to think we have a good shot at winning said 4 games.

"mattresell" wrote:

Matt.. I know and I am sorry for ranting in your positive thread.

Usually I am fairly optimistic in my approach.. but this team has had one problem after another this year... we are either less talented than I thought or we have to really look at the lack of leadership on this club..

We are better than we played tonight.. so hopefully this will light a fire.. well probably for only next week.. but after tonight.. I will take it.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
GOPACKGO1225
15 years ago
Carolina is going to be tough so I hope that fire is lit already.
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

Matt.. I know and I am sorry for ranting in your positive thread.

Usually I am fairly optimistic in my approach.. but this team has had one problem after another this year... we are either less talented than I thought or we have to really look at the lack of leadership on this club..

We are better than we played tonight.. so hopefully this will light a fire.. well probably for only next week.. but after tonight.. I will take it.

"pack93z" wrote:

No need to apologize, man. I hear everything you're saying 100%. I could be overly optimistic, though I suspect the proper level of optimism lies somewhere in between you and I.

I still think this team is as talented as we thought it was though. This was the first game in which we were handily beaten. 5-6 means something's wrong though. I just don't know what that something is.
blank
15 years ago

Wow that schedule is brutal for the Vikings. Too bad the Giants won't have anything to play for though.

"djcubez" wrote:

Maybe they'll REALLY care about who gets to wear the home jersey in the Superbowl.
UserPostedImage
GOPACKGO1225
15 years ago
Can only hope they have a reason to play.
djcubez
15 years ago

I'm not denying any of this. I'm merely pointing out that we "control our own destiny". And more than that, we don't have to be anything special or become a different team. A win vs the Lions, Texans, Jaguars, and Bears can put us in the playoffs.

I'm only being optimistic, yet I don't feel it takes a ton of optimism to think we have a good shot at winning said 4 games.

"pack93z" wrote:

we are either less talented than I thought or we have to really look at the lack of leadership on this club..

"mattresell" wrote:

Is it me or does it seem like we lack a defensive leader now? Someone who's vocal and pumps people up. Barnett's out and our other oldest vet, KGB, was cut. Everyone else is young and is just filling roles, and I can't see Harris or Woodson as leader types. This team needs a strong defensive centerpice and I think we are really lacking that.
IronMan
15 years ago

This was a bad loss. No debating that. But I know how this board can get - really high after wins and really low after losses.

I just spent the past 15 minutes looking at schedules, so let me try to put thi in perspective. We are certainly not out of the playoff hunt. In fact, I see a decent shot at winning the division even with 1 more loss, so long as that loss isn't to the Bears or Lions.

Let's play out some scenarios real quick operating under the assumption that we win the two division games and two of the other three. (I don't think beating two of Carolina, Jacksonville, and Houston is a reach.) That would put us at 9-7. Lets take a look at the Vikings and Bears.

We'll start with the Vikings/Bears game next week and look at the ramifications for each team winning.

First up: Vikings.

A win vs the Bears gives them 7 wins, meaning they would need 3 more wins to win the division if we get out 9 wins. We hold the tie breaker against since the season series is tied, but we would have a better division record after beating the Lions and Bears. Their other 4 games look like this:

@ Detroit
@ Arizona
vs Atlanta
vs NYG

We could catch a bad break if the Giants have nothing to play for in Week 17, but even so, I don't see a 3-1 record as likely. Sure, it could happen, but I would still see our chances of winning the division as reasonable.

Next up: Bears

A win vs the Vikings next week gives them 7 wins, meaning they too would need 3 more victories to win the division. Again, this is assuming our win over them in Week 16 giving us the head-to-head tie breaker. Let's take a look at their schedule:

vs Jacksonville
vs New Orleans
vs Green Bay
@ Houston

Now we've assumed our win vs the Bears, so that means they would have to sweep the remaining three games. It could happen, but it's not likely.

So what does all of this show? It shows that if we beat the Bears and the Lions (not unreasonable victories), I still think we have the best shot to win the division, even if we lose one of the Carolina/Jacksonville/Houston games.

Now, if we don't beat the Bears and Lions, all bets are off. But I'm trying to bring some optimism to the board. Truth is, we're still in pretty decent shape. (So long as our defense doesn't ever play again like they did tonight.)

"mattresell" wrote:

Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining!

I have always wanted to say that.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

we are not the 07' Packers that beamed consistency.. we have regressed as a team..

"pack93z" wrote:

It's astonishing. Just about what could've gone wrong for us has, especially on the D-line:

- KGB fails to recover from injury
- Jenkins goes down
- Harrell is more fragile than ever
- Kampman shows he is human, can't do it all himself

Tonight our D lost this game. Not to say the Offense was mistake free, but we failed to execute. Most glaringly though, we failed to get a pass rush yet again, and failed in Run D yet again.

At some point, when McCarthy keeps referencing the same mistakes happening over and over again (gap control, shedding blockers, getting low in the stance, etc.)... well either the players are total morons or they are simply not talented enough to cut it.

For the first time this season, I've realized our D-line isn't good enough to cut it. Jenkins going out hurt big time, and KGB not returning to form hurt too. Regardless, Ted has some good of fashion work to do this year...

The games are won and lost in the trenches. And you can easily argue that our O and D line have been responsible for the vast majority of our losses.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
alldaybaby
15 years ago
the packers are 0-3 against the NFC south and you think Carolina will be easy ? EVERY team has a tough run in right now i bet a number of you had last night down as a win .... the vikings chances lay not with the team , but with Goodall until he decides what going to happen with the williams boys no one knows hows this season will end for our division , all i will say is its going down to the wire
a classic Aaron rogers quote\r\n\r\nquote: \"I\'ve got a roommate, a guy I met in town. He works for the Packers now as an athletic trainer....He\'s been great for me...Our friendship goes a lot deeper than what we do. \"
alldaybaby
15 years ago

we are not the 07' Packers that beamed consistency.. we have regressed as a team..

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

It's astonishing. Just about what could've gone wrong for us has, especially on the D-line:

- KGB fails to recover from injury
- Jenkins goes down
- Harrell is more fragile than ever
- Kampman shows he is human, can't do it all himself

Tonight our D lost this game. Not to say the Offense was mistake free, but we failed to execute. Most glaringly though, we failed to get a pass rush yet again, and failed in Run D yet again.

At some point, when McCarthy keeps referencing the same mistakes happening over and over again (gap control, shedding blockers, getting low in the stance, etc.)... well either the players are total morons or they are simply not talented enough to cut it.

For the first time this season, I've realized our D-line isn't good enough to cut it. Jenkins going out hurt big time, and KGB not returning to form hurt too. Regardless, Ted has some good of fashion work to do this year...

The games are won and lost in the trenches. And you can easily argue that our O and D line have been responsible for the vast majority of our losses.

"pack93z" wrote:

sorry but the "injury" excuse doesn't wash with me , plenty of teams have far worst problems than the packers as far as injuries go , you was facing one of them last night yourself
a classic Aaron rogers quote\r\n\r\nquote: \"I\'ve got a roommate, a guy I met in town. He works for the Packers now as an athletic trainer....He\'s been great for me...Our friendship goes a lot deeper than what we do. \"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (14h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (15h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (15h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.