Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sschind  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:13:42 AM(UTC)
Watkins-gone, Robinson-gone, Keenum-gone... Why oh why did we ever expect anything different from Brian Gutekunst? He is a Ted Thompson clone. Sitting on his hands while all the good free agent sign elsewhere. He will wait until the very end and maybe sign some bargain basement scrub to compete for a starting job. Every single other team gets better but the Packers and their free agent averse leadership sits back and let's all their best players go somewhere else while we just get worse and worse. At least we will get some good comp picks next year. Typical Packet inactivity.

Let's see, did I miss any.
DarkaneRules  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:24:05 AM(UTC)
I haven't seen a player worth the money they're getting, especially with the players we have at those positions on the books. The contract Watkins got? Noooo waaaaay maaaan. We just paid Davante but, even if we didn't, Watkin's deal is not a contract I could ever have wanted us to take on.

Honestly, I don't see a lot of value in this free agent class so far. I want to see what happens after Wednesday. You might start to see more team friendly contracts.
dhazer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:29:39 AM(UTC)
Hey we want to look at Robinson oops n/m signed with Bears. Hey we need a TE oops nevermind Barton signing with Bears. Hey the Vikes possibly couldn't be doing anything oops n/m they just upgraded their weakest position. Good thing the Lions aren't doing anything oh n/m they are bringing in Murray and Stewart. But guess what our GM said he was going to be aggressive, maybe he meant aggressively watching the other teams in the division make them better and he would pat because we have a qb that is god but is starting to break down with injuries.
DarkaneRules  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:35:25 AM(UTC)
Just seems like y'all are down with OPP. Grass is always greener I guess. Plus, there are still plenty of guys available. Free agency doesn't even start until tomorrow. Y'all need to cool your jets and pump your breaks.
TheKanataThrilla  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:41:38 AM(UTC)
I am a little disappointed that there have been no CBs linked to us including the obvious re-signing of House at this point. Also curious that we have not seen any moves on our part concerning restructure or cutting of Matthews, Cobb, Nelson and Bulaga.
DarkaneRules  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:51:59 AM(UTC)
Wait til Wednesday and beyond. Things will happen. Also, let's be clear, the most important deal to be done is Aaron Rodgers. He tilts the division.
gotarace  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:14:37 AM(UTC)
I have a feeling after the Rodgers contract we may not have the money to compete in the free agent market. Unlike other teams the Packers have real fears of cutting overpaid players loose. (Nelson...Cobb..Clay) It is starting to look like the overpaying our own is the recurring bite in the ass for Packers making a splash in free agency.
Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:23:19 AM(UTC)
We don't have the need to be involved in pre-first day activities. We need fillers, not blockbusters.
musccy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:24:07 AM(UTC)
As others have said, this isn't a great FA class and no need to overpay for average. It's the issues the team already has with Clay, Cobb, Bulaga and/or Jordy. That's been my only real frustration thus far...no talk of their restructuring.
gbguy20  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:25:17 AM(UTC)
With the contracts being passed out right now it is hard to say Cobb and Nelson are overpaid. Good WRs are getting 16 million now, not 10.
hardrocker950  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:36:35 AM(UTC)
Biggest problem now - figuring out the Rodgers extension. Someone will likely be the odd man out to make cap space. One or more of Matthews, Cobb, Nelson, Bulaga may be on their way out soon unless they are willing to restructure. If Rodgers is too stubborn - he may be playing somewhere else after his contract is up.

Some of the FAs that are/had been available are too expensive for what they bring to the table. Some of them would be nice to have, but I just don't see it in the cards right now.
buckeyepackfan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:03:27 AM(UTC)
So The Vikings are reportedly about to sign a former 4th rnd pick , who has NEVER won a playoff game to a 3 year 85+mil FULLY GUARANTEED deal!
That means of course he will have a cap hit of 28+mil for the next 3 years.
The Packers and Aaron are just waiting for this to be finalized so they can get the extension done.
EXTENSION is the key word.
Rodgers ' new contact will dwarf Cousins, but wait and see, Rodgers' cap hit will be much less the 1st 3 years than Cousins.

Packers may or may not get active in FA this year.
They need to take care of Aaron 1st.
nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:38:12 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
So The Vikings are reportedly about to sign a former 4th rnd pick , who has NEVER won a playoff game to a 3 year 85+mil FULLY GUARANTEED deal!
That means of course he will have a cap hit of 28+mil for the next 3 years.
The Packers and Aaron are just waiting for this to be finalized so they can get the extension done.
EXTENSION is the key word.
Rodgers ' new contact will dwarf Cousins, but wait and see, Rodgers' cap hit will be much less the 1st 3 years than Cousins.

Packers may or may not get active in FA this year.
They need to take care of Aaron 1st.

Don’t do it Gute.
Smokey  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:10:26 PM(UTC)
Most of us should know that the much awaited Kirk Cousins deal is holding up more than just a new Aaron Rodgers contract. It will set the salary bar for this upcoming season. Making a big player deal at this point would be like a Poker player betting blind (not looking at the cards).

Those that have/are making large deals are doing so because they either have deep cap pockets or are willing to chance that they are not spending too much for a player. At this point in time it is "advantage player" and those that can are taking full advantage for the short time that it last.

BG knows what the Packers needs are, yet he is not clumsily chasing after available players overeager to make a deal/any deal. Instead he is evenly monitoring the league and the deals being made. He has pulled the trigger on the Randall/Kizer deal, which shows that he is not afraid. In addition, I suspect that he is currently working long hours and getting little sleep.

Patience
Cheers!
Porforis  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:17:05 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules said: Go to Quoted Post
Wait til Wednesday and beyond. Things will happen. Also, let's be clear, the most important deal to be done is Aaron Rodgers. He tilts the division.

Aaron Rodgers at his career best with an offense around him at his career best tilts the division regardless of how the defense and special teams play. We cannot rely on Rodgers putting up career numbers and completely dominating every team every week. The secondary was a liability last season and we have lost several of our higher-end players in the secondary.

With the defense we had last year, if Rodgers stays healthy we're a contender for the playoffs for sure, but our division rivals aren't as deeply flawed as they have been in years past so it's not more or less a guarantee. And that's if we don't regress after losing so many pieces, and having new coaching hiccups. I am greatly concerned about who we're going to plug in to all these holes that will play as good or better than House, Randall, Gunter, etc. There's bodies out there but can we get them all or are we going to roll the "Throw a rookie into the fire against 1st and 2nd string veterans and hope he doesn't flame out" dice again?
DarkaneRules  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:26:51 PM(UTC)
I would be shocked if we didn't sign a veteran corner at some point but, again, free agency hasn't started yet.
blueleopard  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:29:34 PM(UTC)
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post
Aaron Rodgers at his career best with an offense around him at his career best tilts the division regardless of how the defense and special teams play. We cannot rely on Rodgers putting up career numbers and completely dominating every team every week. The secondary was a liability last season and we have lost several of our higher-end players in the secondary.

With the defense we had last year, if Rodgers stays healthy we're a contender for the playoffs for sure, but our division rivals aren't as deeply flawed as they have been in years past so it's not more or less a guarantee. And that's if we don't regress after losing so many pieces, and having new coaching hiccups. I am greatly concerned about who we're going to plug in to all these holes that will play as good or better than House, Randall, Gunter, etc. There's bodies out there but can we get them all or are we going to roll the "Throw a rookie into the fire against 1st and 2nd string veterans and hope he doesn't flame out" dice again?

You're talking about Aaron Rodgers at his best.

We're talking about the Green Bay Packers at their best. Rodgers was only reaching his prime when we won it all. Just because you have a Future hall of famer doesn't mean you have to let every other position coast.
Smokey  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 12:40:41 PM(UTC)
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post

Most of us understand that GB is currently doing just as most other teams are and being patient. BG has already shown that he is not afraid to pull the trigger on a deal. He has been in the room before and seen Ted Thompson and all of the other past GMs prepare for and then go to war. For a war it is and rushing ahead to quickly can cost you. So far so good, the bigger battles remain ahead and rushing ahead of the "pack" can be very dangerous.
patience
Cheers!
Porforis  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:41:14 PM(UTC)
Smokey said: Go to Quoted Post
Most of us understand that GB is currently doing just as most other teams are and being patient. BG has already shown that he is not afraid to pull the trigger on a deal. He has been in the room before and seen Ted Thompson and all of the other past GMs prepare for and then go to war. For a war it is and rushing ahead to quickly can cost you. So far so good, the bigger battles remain ahead and rushing ahead of the "pack" can be very dangerous.
patience
Cheers!

I'm absolutely not one that advocates for jumping to sign a bunch of high cost free agents. My concern is less about not signing anybody new, and more about how many 1st and 2nd stringers that have left us thusfar and whether we'll be able to replace or exceed their production for the same or less money.
DarkaneRules  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:01:25 PM(UTC)
At a certain point, your hand is forced. On our team we extended two receivers at the same times so that's taken up some financial room. You've got a lot of money locked into a couple positions. Having 12 picks in this draft could not have come at a better time. Plus, that trade for better positioning is making more and more sense. I expect us to get a veteran CB outside of the draft before all is said and done.
Rss Feed