beast
5 years ago

I don't know a lot about Burks either. He does have youth, speed, and at 6'3" he has good height. He can and most likely will add 10 to 15 lbs of muscle to his already 233 lb weight.

I expect to see him on Special Teams for his 1st season as he learns and bulks up some. I don't see him challenging for a starting spot, but others like Biegel had better be ready to challenge Ryan for his ILB spot.

Burks could be a starter by the 2019 Season.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I'm not sure they would want Burks to bulk up... get stronger, yes... but I think they drafted him to be a SS/LB tweener type on purpose... as the game of football is going more and more towards the passing game... and Pettine system is all about players being verstile and being able to switch spots to surprise the offense.... so Pettine probably likes that both Jones and Burks can play LB or Safety and blitz, cover and play the run.

Also with Pettine's new scheme, I think it might ask the ILBers to be more aggressive, and Ryan depending on what they're asked to do, Ryan might be a much better fit in Pettine's defense than Cappers defense.

And they need Biegel at OLB... he might be their #3 OLB right now... or at the very least competing for it.... no reason to move him to a less used and less important role, just because it has a "starters" label... as the 3rd OLB usually gets plenty of playing time and might be more important.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
Someone pissed in the Clique’s Cornflakes this morning? 😂😂😂 Gee, whizzzzz! 😂

I guess we’ll 🇷🇪start here: RARELY [And I’ve been told this has NEVER occurred before] has a team traded-up for a player in Rnd 1 and that player had no idea the team had interest. Wouldn’t inquiring minds find this interesting and remarkable and at least be able to wonder, even if incapable of discussion, if this unprecedented/wildly creative execution was positive, negative or something between?

Maybe one needs less character info if the prospect is a golden boy like Jordy. Jaire trash talks and some call it swagger; maybe it is. I would say his post game twits with Syracuse WR Ishmael was the work of a punk; maybe its not. And sure humans make mistakes, was it Josh Allen that posted the racists stuff years ago? A GM needs to find out if these foibles are simple "human mistakes" or a fundamental defect in character. Like Nerd said, Randall ended up being a head case, dont ya gotta do everything possible to try to ferret this out? There's only 1 way for an organization to learn with greatest accuracy what makes a player tick; he MUST do his due diligence with background checks and get the kid in several situations where his inner person can be revealed. Who does not know that this routinely occurs? Who finds this not the optimum behavior for a GM? Well Gutekunst FAILED to do these background checks and conducted only minimum meetings with the kid. Obviously, this says NOTHING about how bad Jaire may or may not be; but is this the BEST way for a GM to conduct his affairs?

Note: There is no contradiction. A mentally under developed cavemen may only be able to grunt “fire good.” However, a fully developed mentally stable enlightened human understands fire is good for providing warmth; but also understands fire can also be bad, or very bad, especially if you’re a 1690s Salem witch.

A GM should not blab in a way that undermines his credibility or reveals his tradecraft; he needs to be secretive. But, I’m arguing he should not be so secretive that he fails to perform critical and necessary due diligence on a first round pick. So like fire or most things in life a BALANCE is optimum.

[Waving a gold pocket dangling on a change back and forth] You will love all that Gute does…You will love all that Gute does” Okay that’s pretty funny 😂 😂.
beast
5 years ago

A GM should not blab in a way that undermines his credibility or reveals his tradecraft; he needs to be secretive. But, I’m arguing he should not be so secretive that he fails to perform critical and necessary due diligence on a first round pick. So like fire or most things in life a BALANCE is optimum.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

So when uddfa left, you lost your balance and went crazy? Having no one to argue with... that you decided to become uddfa?

You claim he keeps failing, and despite your annoying desire to write novels when a sentence or two would do... you still haven't proven he's failed at anything... hell, it's TOO FREAKING SOON for anyone to suggest he's failed... he's first draft picks might haven't even gotten their tickets to come to Green Bay... much less practice or you know, a real game.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
“Blah Blah Blah...I HATE Gute! Blah blah blah...he talks too much! Blah blah blah.... he doesn’t talk ENOUGH! Blah blah blah...he’s a LIAR! Blah blah blah...writing lots of words PROVES I am right! Blah blah blah...everyone else’s opinion that doesn’t agree with me 100% is STUPID! Blah blah blah....😂
UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago
You assume that because someone who claims to know someone else says they didn't know the Packers were interested that it means they didn't ask questions. The truth is you have no idea how much research into Alexander Gute did or did not do, and you have no idea who may or may not have known about his interest.

One part of the research is watching tape and that can be done without anyone knowing. If there is enough there to warrant continued interest you can learn a lot just by listening and talking to people on the fringes. If nothing there raises red flags and you are determined to keep your interest a secret there may be no need to dig any further.

But I am sure you are correct. I'm sure what really happened is Gute decided all on his own with no input from anyone else that he was going to draft Alexander no matter what and he wasn't going to risk letting anyone in on his plan so he didn't ask anyone a single question about him.
nerdmann
5 years ago
To me it suggests they weren’t actually targeting him, but he was a fall back scenario.

I mean, someone offers you an extra first, you gotta take it.

I think he’ll be fine.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

I mean, someone offers you an extra first, you gotta take it.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

QFMFT

Everything else is pretty much beside the point.
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
5 years ago

First thread it was too much talking, now it's too much secrecy. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with you.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

This whole thread is surreal. I wan't sure if "it" was the rambling nature of the original post or if
"it" was referring to Gute.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
beast
5 years ago
All this bullshit is based off the fact that an agent didn't know the Packers were interested in his client...

To that I say: Who gives a Bears' ass? and how the hell does it matter?
A CB's agent, failing to know a CB desperate team is interested in a CB...
This is not a Packers problem... this is an agents problem.

The Packers didn't bring him in for a pre-draft visit... boo hoo... get over it!

When is the last time you remember the Packers have brought any of their first round selections in for a predraft visit? Last one I remember for pretty sure was A.J. Hawk, when they had a top 5 pick... otherwise they normally don't. Heck, I think (I'm not sure, but I think) Hawk, Finley and Burks might be the only guys that the Packers have brought in that have been selected in the top 3 rounds by the Packers.

Think Kevin King or Josh Jones agents knew the Packers were interested in them?
Answer: Most likely, no one cares!

All this is Barnfarn bitching, that Nagler's "friend" didn't known in advance... and that's not a Packers story or the Packers fault...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

You assume that because someone who claims to know someone else says they didn't know the Packers were interested that it means they didn't ask questions. The truth is you have no idea how much research into Alexander Gute did or did not do, and you have no idea who may or may not have known about his interest.

One part of the research is watching tape and that can be done without anyone knowing. If there is enough there to warrant continued interest you can learn a lot just by listening and talking to people on the fringes. If nothing there raises red flags and you are determined to keep your interest a secret there may be no need to dig any further.

But I am sure you are correct. I'm sure what really happened is Gute decided all on his own with no input from anyone else that he was going to draft Alexander no matter what and he wasn't going to risk letting anyone in on his plan so he didn't ask anyone a single question about him.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

When the scout person said they had been watching Jaire since the fall, I kind of figured they knew the player well enough already to know they liked him. And with him not being one of the visits, they probably were sold on Jaire right away so why burn a limited visit with someone they are sold on? I would think you would use your visits with players that are kind of a fringe, or that you have plethora of questions on.

Example being, if this were the '89 draft, I wouldn't bring in Barry Sanders because I already know he's a stud. I would bring in other guys that I wasn't as sure on just to cover my bases in case someone dropped.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.