Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Hey everyone - I'm BAAAACK!!!
A mother's perspective on this issue. The people trying to get into our country are fleeing horrid conditions, where they are threatened with murder daily. Let's try to remember that. There's no WAY in hell if I'm happy in my country that I walk miles & miles to come to this country illegally unless I've been threatened, beaten, etc. The children (most of them) did nothing but follow their parents - NOTHING!!! To separate these families is HORRIBLE!! No one will EVER convince me otherwise. I don't care who the hell came up with this horrid "plan" but they suck & suck BIG TIME! It's easy to say "but they knew what they were doing is illegal" & write them off. I implore you to open your eyes, hearts, & minds to the fact that they are human beings, trying to escape a terrible situation, & our country isn't doing anywhere near enough to allow them to enter LEGALLY!!

As a parent, I guarandamntee you that if someone was threatening me or my children, I would walk through fire, over mountains, through the desert, whatever to make sure they were safer. Wouldn't each of you do the same?

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl 

I can't say I have issue with folks wanting to come into our Country to live, regardless of the conditions they are allegedly fleeing from. I just don't know that our Country has the size to hold every person who has horrid conditions. That doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye, but what is the solution? Also, so many HERE do nothing but whine about Government, blame their personal failures on whomever is current President, etc ... what makes our Country better than others?

As of May 16, 2013, Bill Gates had donated US$28 billion. That's what we need more of and for the money to appropriately used. We have people in this very Country with more money than any of their ancestors could reasonably spend. Why not help those less fortunate and build a legacy?

Going back to the topic more directly, do we know why this separation of parents/children was proposed and later adopted? What was the motivation?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
That’s another problem. If you don’t stick to the law, and just let people in that have children, you will have many that will bring kids with them just so they don’t have to follow the legal avenues to stay here.
Again, we are not saying people can’t come here, but follow the dang laws in place! Why is that so hard to do?
It keeps out drug dealers and other criminals.
The same people that want stronger gun control laws are the same ones that think it’s ok to just open the borders.
Today’s world is not the same world of 1900. There are so many more bad people today. We HAVE to hold people that want to come here to the laws we have.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
5 years ago

Again, we are not saying people can’t come here, but follow the dang laws in place! Why is that so hard to do?

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

If many people are willing to pay thousands of dollars (worth tens of thousands of dollars to you and I) to have themselves and/or family members smuggled in by people known for extortion, rape, murder, and extremely unsafe conditions and methods I'd venture to guess they're pretty darn desperate to get in and it's not so much "Hey I wish I could make twice as much money" and more "I am honestly afraid for the lives of myself and my family". Not to say that this means we should just let them in, but many of these people are escaping truly terrible situations.

It keeps out drug dealers and other criminals.

Huh? Do you have any evidence to support that such efforts have ever been effective at keeping out drug dealers or criminals? In a country where the president outright paid bounties to roaming vigilantes to murder (accused) drug users and dealers, they still have a major drug problem. Do you think closing the borders in the US is going to stop drugs from coming in and make a big difference in how many people use drugs? You don't think the methanphetamine and opioid epidemics won't continue to flourish even if you managed to stop EVERYTHING coming in over the boarders? Don't forget the law of supply and demand either - the harder it is to bring stuff in, the less supply there is in the country which means the higher the price. People willing to steal and spend their life savings on drugs aren't going to stop just because prices quadrupled. And higher prices mean higher profits for dealers. You need to stop the vast, vast majority of it, be able to stop the DISTRIBUTORS, or you're not going to put a big dent in drug use or sales.

We have plenty of drug dealers in this country that have nothing to do with illegal immigration. Yes, plenty of drugs come in over the borders. Preventing anybody from coming in and building a wall isn't going to do jack shit to secure nearly 2,000 miles of border on our south, not to mention the nearly 4,000 miles on our north. Drones, catapults, smuggled in by people with valid passports, boats, tunnels... What is a wall going to do about all of those? How many hundreds of billions of dollars would you need to spend to protect every square foot of that wall with anti-drone measures, detection of objects vaulted over the wall, detection of tunnels under the wall, and enough staff to be able to actually do something about it if something IS detected? Not to say that illegal drugs aren't a serious social blight, but holy shit can you imagine what you could do with that money if you threw it into education and infrastructure?

The same people that want stronger gun control laws are the same ones that think it’s ok to just open the borders.
Today’s world is not the same world of 1900. There are so many more bad people today. We HAVE to hold people that want to come here to the laws we have.

I really wish you'd spend more time listening to a wider range of people than you do trying to paint everyone that disagrees with your viewpoint on a particular issue with a very wide and extreme brush. I could just pretend that everyone that DOESN'T want stronger gun control laws (you included) is just a racist, violent, xenophobic, old man (Okay so maybe the old part is true xD) who says we should completely shut down our borders and not allow ANY immigration because hey, the noisiest whiniest people on the right with the most extreme views could be described as such so clearly, ANYBODY that doesn't want gun control is those things, right?

Fact is, the world is crazy complicated and people are crazy complicated and varied. It's easy to paint your 'enemies' with a wide, savage brush but watch out - you might alienate people that agree with you far more than you think.
DarkaneRules
5 years ago
As much as I want to be, I'm not an absolutist. This is an issue where I find myself struggling the most. I understand we are a nation of laws, but that isn't always equal based on status and power. Ultimately, though, that's irrelevant. My stance is that family separation is an issue of ethics. I will never support it. That being said, we need more resources for our CBP, as well as the port of entry facilities. I'm also for dissolving ICE.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
dyeah_gb
5 years ago
The fact that parents are being separated form their children is the tip of the moral iceberg on this issue. Enabling people to illegally enter the US leads to its own set of causes related to the death and harm to the children of world, often intentionally. It takes two seconds to find many examples of this
CNN Border Agent Interview 

There are also reasons why initially separating children from parents may be a good thing, to verify that the family relationship is valid. Here is example related to a case at the port of entry.
Illegal Alien Pretends Girl Is His Daughter 

It is sad that families are so desperate to enter the US to escape from violence. I don't know why these people are getting told to not enter the country at the legal ports of entry. In my opinion, the evil that is caused by this false humanitarian crisis is a bigger problem by enabling both asylum seekers and criminals to try to get into the US. If you are yelling at the Trump administration for separating children from parents because it is a "moral issue," take some responsibility for enabling the process and system related to illegal entry in the US and the evil that it causes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
DarkaneRules
5 years ago
I will gladly take any responsibility I bear in this matter, but it doesn't change my disapproval of the policy of family separation, no matter who started it or enforces it. And to that point, I don't think Trump really cares. He's a salesman. He's doing what sells.
dyeah_gb
5 years ago

I will gladly take any responsibility I bear in this matter, but it doesn't change my disapproval of the policy of family separation, no matter who started it or enforces it. And to that point, I don't think Trump really cares. He's a salesman. He's doing what sells.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Totally agree that Trump is a salesman and his verbal blundering often hurts the discourse of serious issues. Ironically, his policies are proving to be pretty good though. In the matter of deterring illegal entry in the country and the associated activities, I believe his policies will reduce the net pain and suffering.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
DarkaneRules
5 years ago
No policy will account for lack of resources whether it be those out in the field, those who work in the facilities, the facilities themselves, or the courts. To me, it's all talk until I see a true commitment of resources and man-power. Dissolve ICE and focus on the bricks and mortar; the foundation. And stop separating families 😉
Cheesey
5 years ago
Porforis, so your answer is that we should just let anyone in? Not have any checks and balances to keep bad people out?
But you want stricter gun control laws. That makes a lot of sense.
Why are the areas of Mexico so bad? Because there are a lot of bad people in those areas! So your answer is to just let them ALL come in? All the murderers and rapists and human traffickers and drug dealers.
Yes, we have s drug problem here. So throw your hands up and say “we have a drug problem already, so why try to stop even MORE drugs and dealers into this country”?
It’s like having a small hole in your window screen where a few flys get in, so what the hell, might as well cut the screen out and let them ALL in.
And yes, it’s the majority of liberals that want gun control and don’t want our borders protected.
Let the people in that do it LEGALLY. Why is that such a hard fact to deal with? I’m expected to follow our laws, or deal with the consequences. Why should aliens not have to do the same?
As I have stated over and over, I’m not against people coming here, just do it L-e-g-a-l-l-y!
If wanting to protect American citizens
makes me “evil” in your eyes, I can’t help that.
Oh, and stricter gun control laws then we already have on the books won’t deter any criminal from getting a gun. Just like drug users don’t have a problem getting their drugs that are illegal. Only people that already obey the laws will be affected, no criminals will.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
5 years ago
Even good points can be scarred by bad analogies. I understand wanting to protect Americans first and foremost and a strong border is part of that. But those who will dehumanize immigrants are preying on the most susceptible of us to create the fear of the other. Be wary.

Also, gun lobbyists are working hard to undermine more practical gun legislation as well as the process of enforcing the laws on the books. And please don't be swayed by their presumed loved of the 2nd amendment. If money weren't at stake from manufacturers, they wouldn't really care.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (15h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.