nerdmann
5 years ago

One APC writer feels that there are disturbing parallels between the Packers’ 2015 receiving corps and the 2018 version, and that the offense is entirely reliant on Adams remaining on the field. The Green Bay Packers ’ 2015 season still haunts me in my dreams every so often. When looking back as to when the Packers probably should have won, or at least played in a Super Bowl , the 2014 choke job against Seattle is high on the list, but the 2015 season should be right there with it. Dom Capers actually rallied the defense late in 2014, making creative use of Clay Matthews  as a read-option stopper and generally getting them to play well enough to support the number one offense in the league.
Capers’ changes carried over into 2015 as the defense put up one of its best performances since Capers took over . Capers coaxed one more additional outstanding campaign from Julius Peppers , Sam Shields  anchored a young secondary with Micah Hyde  and Casey Hayward  supporting the development of rookies Damarious Randall  and Quinten Rollins , and Clay Matthews continued in his role as all-purpose chaos dispenser. The defense was, per Football Outsiders’ DVOA, the 9th best in football, and the sixth best defense against the pass.
Had the Packers maintained their level as the number one offense in the league as they were in 2014 , they would have been heavy Super Bowl favorites in 2015, but that didn’t happen and it only took one cog to undo all of that good work. That cog was Jordy Nelson , who suffered an ACL injury in a preseason game in Pittsburgh and would never be the same. Nelson dominated in 2014, racking up 1519 yards on 98 receptions to go along with 13 touchdowns. Nelson’s dominance also helped to open things up for slot receiver Randall Cobb , who nearly matched Nelson with 1287 yards, 12 TDs, and a 14.1 Y/R average. Davante Adams  was still a young project and didn’t offer much, but Eddie Lacy  chipped in a 1000-yard campaign with a 4.6 y/c average. Aaron Rodgers  was, of course, dominant.
In 2015, the offense returned almost everyone, and Rodgers played all 16 games, but without Nelson the passing offense tanked. The team called in former Packer and hoodie-wearer James Jones  to take Nelson’s spot, but while Jones posted an impressive 17.8 yards per reception, he only caught 50% of his targets. Randall  Cobb saw the most targets, but his per reception average plummeted to 10.5, and with Adams development stalling out (due to nagging injuries that affected him all season long), there was simply no one to reliably move the sticks. Lacy and Starks combined to provide an adequate if unspectacular 1300 yards at 4.1 yards a clip, but the running game doesn’t really matter, and so this all added up to the 16th best passing offense in football. With Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, that is inexcusable.
In the glory days of the Packer offense, the skill positions were fully loaded. James Jones, or someone of his caliber, was the third best receiver on the team and Jermichael Finley  manned the TE position. Those teams could withstand an injury or two and still function (like losing Finley five games into the 2010 Super Bowl season). I see the soon-to-be 2018 squad, on the other hand, being extremely vulnerable for the same reason the 2015 team wound up doomed. This season it’s Davante Adams or nothing.
Adams is Nelson, almost
The only star receiver on the Packers is Davante Adams, and as great as Adams is, he hasn’t been as good as either Nelson or Greg Jennings  were in their primes. He may still develop into such a receiver, but his highest yards per reception so far is just 13.3, and he still has yet to crack 1000 yards in a season. We should keep in mind that even the very good current version of Adams still has never had as good of a season as the best seasons of Nelson, Jennings, Randall Cobb, or James Jones.
Now consider just how similar this wide receiver corps is to the 2015 version anchored by Nelson. Without Nelson that team was anchored by check-downs to Randall Cobb, a rookie in Adams, and retread James Jones off the waiver wire. If Adams were to go down this year, the situation would be essentially the same with Cobb still manning the slot, third-year pro Geronimo Allison  starting outside, and a host of unproven young players and late round draft picks vying for the other outside starting spot. Trevor Davis , DeAngelo Yancey , or any of the recent draft picks would all be candidates, but none really inspire confidence. Even if you believe 4th round pick J’Mon Moore is a future star, rookie wide receivers rarely make an impact, especially day-three draft picks.
Some may argue that Jimmy Graham  would fill the role of outside receiver, and in the distant past Graham has proven more than capable of supporting an offense, but this is wishful thinking. Graham is coming off his worst season as a professional averaging just 9.1 yards per reception and catching under 60% of his targets. Some of this can be blamed on Seattle’s offensive line issues, but Graham warrants some skepticism as he’s been frequently injured throughout his career, and is no spring chicken at 31 years old.
The other reason to worry is that Aaron Rodgers hasn’t been as good over the last three seasons. After consistently registering above eight yards per attempt or better for his entire career, he hasn’t cracked 7.5 in the last 3, and while he’s still a master in the red zone, this offense has struggled between the 20s due to a lack of big plays. Even when it has been good, recent Packer offenses can’t hold a candle to the 2010-2014 era. Losing a cog from one of those teams may have hurt them, but they still would have remained elite. Losing a yard per attempt when you’re averaging nine is manageable. When you’re hovering around seven, that hurts a lot more.
Many are looking for Davante Adams to take a step forward this season, and he’s talented enough to crack the list of the top ten receivers in football, but he’s also the only thing separating this receiving corps from incompetence. If Adams were to go down at any point, I’m worried that the offense would be worse than the 2015 group that so disappointed. After Rodgers, Adams is the most important player on the team, and that’s an indictment of the front office. The football gods tried to teach them this lesson once, and they did not heed it.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/6/1/17415986/the-packers-desperately-need-davante-adams-to-stay-healthy-in-2018-jordy-nelson-2015]PaulNoonan 

PaulNoonan wrote:

Kind of hoping Yancey beats out Cobb. He’s had a year in the system, lost the weight that kept him off the field last year. Not only would he save us some cap space, but he’d provide some versatility.

Don’t forget about Montgomery either. I thought he looked good at wideout. Probably keep him much healthier too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
isocleas2
5 years ago
Having a running back who can run routes from the backfield and a TE you can move around like a receiver makes 3 WR sets less necessary.

I agree with the article about Adams needing to stay healthy but Adams + Cobb + Graham is still a good offensive trio.
sschind
5 years ago
That's almost as obvious as "the Packers desperately need Aaron Rodgers to stay healthy in 2018"
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (19h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (19h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (22h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (23h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
23m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

39m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.