wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

The long rehab nightmare for Bryan Bulaga is over.   The veteran right tackle passed his physical this morning and Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy announced Bulaga is coming off the physically unable to perform list.

Bulaga will start practicing today on a limited basis.

Remarkable, considering he tore his ACL last November 6 and had reconstructive surgery shortly thereafter.

Bulaga has gone through this before with serious knee operations but he diligently worked through his rehabilitation during the off-season and expressed surprise and disappointment when he opened training camp on the PUP list.

The Packers are hoping Bulaga returns to pre-injury form at right tackle, especially with a new running mate at right guard this season.   

Free agent Justin McCray has taken nearly all of the first team reps so far in camp and appears the likely successor to Jahri Evans who played just one season for the Pack.

The left side of the offensive line returns intact with center Corey Linsley, left guard Lane Taylor and All-Pro left tackle David Bakhtiari.

The return of Bulaga to the active roster leaves only linebacker Nick Perry on the PUP list with his ankle issues.

Continue Reading @ Mark Daniels 

Mark Daniels wrote:

Good news. He's got enough time to knock the rust off.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

Good news. He's got enough time to knock the rust off.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

This is certainly interesting. I'm also wondering how this effects the back-ups, like what about OL Bell, I haven't heard much about him in practice. Is he working at OT or at OG? Packers usually keep 9 OL (though sometimes go with 8, and if they have two rookie draft picks then sometimes 10).

Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, McCray, Bulaga
Spriggs, Patrick, Amichia, Bell, Murphy

So probably one of the back-ups will now be released. I had a lot of hope for Amichia's potential which is why I think he might have more of a fighting chance than some others.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
Let’s if he’s still got that outside slide. Took him a year to get that back past time. Kudos on him, tho. Dude is a warrior.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
TheKanataThrilla
5 years ago
I wonder who would be the odd man out. I was hoping this would be the year Spriggs gets it together. He did flash for a small moment last year. Picked him to be my surprise of the year, now think he may be cut.
beast
5 years ago

I wonder who would be the odd man out. I was hoping this would be the year Spriggs gets it together. He did flash for a small moment last year. Picked him to be my surprise of the year, now think he may be cut.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I agree, I'm wondering too and how this will all shake out. Of course it all depends on how they all look in training camp and preseason games.

But Spriggs was said to be taking 1st string RT snaps with Bulaga gone, which sounds like a good sign for him. Also Mike McCarthy said he'd like to keep Murphy on the right side, and watching Bell be forced to play some LT last year, he's not athletic enough, so I think he'd a RT and OG at best. But Patrick isn't athletic enough to play either OT spot.

So I'm sorta thinking it may come down to Patrick and Amichia for the back-up OG/C spot. Though if both look good, then the worst OT is probably then in play too.

Edit: Sounds like Patrick has a really good practice today! And Murphy got a few starter snaps at RT. So based on current hype (which means extremely little to nothing at this point), Bell and Amichia have been the least talked about and maybe the most likely to be released.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
5 years ago

I agree, I'm wondering too and how this will all shake out. Of course it all depends on how they all look in training camp and preseason games.

But Spriggs was said to be taking 1st string RT snaps with Bulaga gone, which sounds like a good sign for him. Also Mike McCarthy said he'd like to keep Murphy on the right side, and watching Bell be forced to play some LT last year, he's not athletic enough, so I think he'd a RT and OG at best. But Patrick isn't athletic enough to play either OT spot.

So I'm sorta thinking it may come down to Patrick and Amichia for the back-up OG/C spot. Though if both look good, then the worst OT is probably then in play too.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I guess they could also gamble who might easily land on the PS. I wonder where Cole Madison fits in here? Can you IR somebody if it is a mental health issue?
nerdmann
5 years ago

To me, Spriggs is the swing T. Murphy is the right side guy. Patrick/Amichia is the inside guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
5 years ago

I guess they could also gamble who might easily land on the PS. I wonder where Cole Madison fits in here? Can you IR somebody if it is a mental health issue?

I think they'll keep him on the "Reserve/Did Not Report", at least until he shows up. That or just release him at 53 man cut down and talk to him and try to put him on the PS ... or PS/Did not report list.

I think they could place him on the IR, but then he couldn't practice and if him and/or his agent made a fuss or claim that he's not injured, then they might then be forced to release him anyways (and maybe get a fine or not be allowed to resign him for 6 weeks while every other team could. So unless they have his/his agents permission and they're on board, I'm not sure that IR is the way to go.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
It is my understanding that the IR list is only for players who have sustained physical injuries during the course of play (obviously, that would include practice as well), whether in the previous season or in college.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

It is my understanding that the IR list is only for players who have sustained physical injuries during the course of play (obviously, that would include practice as well), whether in the previous season or in college.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Possibly Reserve/Did Not Report or possibly Reserve/Non-Football Illness or Injury, I would think.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (28m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.