Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:26:02 PM(UTC)
What do you think about this Jake kid? Think he has a chance? Is the Aaron Rodgers hype legit?

CheeseheadTV said:
Wide receiver Jake Kumerow, a former standout at the Division III powerhouse that is the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, is one of the most surprising stories of the Packers’ training camp so far. After two weeks and some change, he’s gone from an afterthought to suddenly contending for a spot on the team.

Kumerow joined the Packers’ practice squad in December 2017 after spending two years on the Bengals’ squad and some time with the Patriots. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had a great article Tuesday about the path Kumerow took to get to Green Bay, and the heads he’s turned since joining the team.

He’s got the prototypical body for a receiver—more than 6’4, lean and a solid vertical jump. While he lacks big-time speed, he’s certainly been able to get open. He’s performed well enough in camp that Aaron Rodgers has brought him up several times in interviews.

“I think Jake Kumerow’s had a fantastic camp,” Rodgers said on Friday, August 3. “I think you have to spotlight him. He’s made a ton of plays. Did it all spring and summer and now he’s getting reps with me and making a ton of plays. He’s running the right route all the time and making contested catches and putting the ball away. It’s been pretty impressive for a guy from a small school in Wisconsin.”

Kumerow has also drawn praise from the Packers’ cornerback Davon House, as well as the Bengals’ all-star wide receiver AJ Green. The praise constantly centers on his ability to run crisp routes and make catches in tight windows—key qualities for any NFL receiver to have, especially with a quarterback as precise as Rodgers.

Despite all the praise, though, Kumerow is going to need to be consistently solid in practice and in his preseason appearances to have a shot at making the team, even if he does have the endorsement of Rodgers. Davante Adams and Randall Cobb are locks to make the team, and it would certainly be a surprise to see Geronimo Allison get cut.

The Packers also drafted three wide receivers: J’Mon Moore, Equanimeous St. Brown and Marquez Valdes-Scantling. All reports out of camp indicate that while each of the three has made occasional impressions so far, Kumerow has generally outplayed all of them and has been significantly more consistent. This is certainly good for Kumerow, but it takes a lot for teams to give up on a draft capital investment in a player’s rookie year. Kumerow will have very little margin for error throughout the entirety of preseason, and will likely also have to show he can be an asset for special teams to really have a shot at making the team.

But if you ask Rodgers, Kumerow is the player most ready to take the field on an NFL Sunday.
“Jake Kumerow is undrafted, and we drafted three guys,” he said in an interview last week. “If you’re playing today, you’d like him on the field.”

The Packers have had a lot of popular wide receiver underdogs in camp in recent years—Jared Abbrederis (another home-grown Wisconsin product), Max McCaffrey and the patron saint of fan-hyped wide receivers at the bottom of depth charts himself, Jeff Janis.

But it is Kumerow who has perhaps drawn the most praise from Rodgers, and if they continue to develop a connection in camp and in preseason games, that could be a deciding factor in him finally making a 53-man roster.

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV
nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:36:51 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
What do you think about this Jake kid? Think he has a chance? Is the Aaron Rodgers hype legit?

He's got the size for their analytics, runs a 4.5, iirc.

Between him and Yancey for that 6th WR spot. Trevor David could come on late, Valdez-Scantling could surge, but the team needs a veteran. Dude's kicked around the league for awhile.

Bigger than Abrederis, better than Bill Schroeder, smarter than Jeff Janis. Kind of a bare bones guy though, from what I've heard. Haven't seen him play.
wpr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:37:25 PM(UTC)
There are so many WR ahead of him he's going to have to stand out and GB is going to have to clean house for him to make it.
nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:42:56 PM(UTC)
I've heard he's got some PS eligibility left.

DAVANTE
COBB
GERONIMO (???)
JMON
EQ

That's five. MAYBE four, but let's say Gmo makes the cut. Who's left? Yancey, Trevor Davis, Valdez-Scantling, who's the other guy?

I mean, I think they'll keep 6. Especially since Aaron JOnes is gonna be suspended for a couple games. Kumerow has a chance. Who knows, someone could get hurt too. (Not to jinx.) Cobb might already be damaged goods.
beast  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 8:45:20 PM(UTC)
I haven't gotten to see him, but everyone is saying he's just plain getting open and making catches and one reporter (Tom Silverstein), said he was 2 or 3 best behind Adams (which makes me think 3 or 4 best overall).

Based on that, I do think he's got a chance, though it might be the same chance as the Packers might keep 7 WRs, as I don't think they want to get rid of the top 3 vets (Adams, Cobb and Allison), nor the three talented rookies who are said to be showing potential but having problems with the drops.

While 7 WRs is unusually, two (Cobb/Allison) are in contract years and three are rookies. Meaning someone could help out if the rookies aren't ready right away and then potentially replace one of the contract year guys if they're not resigned. Also because my current mock has 7 WRs... at least until RB Jones suspension is up... and maybe continue to be 7 WRs if I then cut the 3rd QB instead.
DarkaneRules  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 5:13:00 AM(UTC)
Rodgers will be more and more vocal and this team needs to tread carefully from here on out or he'll go full Favre. Of that, I have no doubt. If you ditch his favorite receiver, you better put guys on the squad that he feels comfortable playing with.
beast  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:26:19 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules said: Go to Quoted Post
Rodgers will be more and more vocal and this team needs to tread carefully from here on out or he'll go full Favre. Of that, I have no doubt. If you ditch his favorite receiver, you better put guys on the squad that he feels comfortable playing with.

I might be wrong but I think it's simpler than that. In the past Rodgers has talked about how he appreciate a good hard scouting (also how he loved challenging Charles Woodson and Al Harris and how that made him a better player), and how that scout team prepares the #1 units and they grow in the process.

Rodgers basically is giving the same message as Jarvis Landry in hard knocks episode, being that, half assed efforts won't fly here.
warhawk  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:33:58 AM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I might be wrong but I think it's simpler than that. In the past Rodgers has talked about how he appreciate a good hard scouting (also how he loved challenging Charles Woodson and Al Harris and how that made him a better player), and how that scout team prepares the #1 units and they grow in the process.

Rodgers basically is giving the same message as Jarvis Landry in hard knocks episode, being that, half assed efforts won't fly here.

I think that part of it is simple enough. It's well documented that Rodgers cannot stand half-assed effort and mental errors. He sent a memo and that's good.
The harder part is he LIKES Kumerow. If he continues to have faith in him and has more confidence in him than the other young guys some tough decisions lie ahead. After losing Jordy and with Arods obsession with requiring confidence in his receivers it will be very difficult not keep him.

Cheesey  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:41:26 AM(UTC)
Hey, if the guy earns a spot, then he deserves it. I don’t care if he’s a first round pick or an undrafted guy.
He has more reason to fight for a spot. A “hungry” guy like that that gains ARs respect impresses me.
I hope he keeps it up!
Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:07:31 AM(UTC)
If one of the rookies and Jake show lots of promise, maybe they trade Randall Cobb to Raiders with a 2nd rounder for Khalil Mack :D
DarkaneRules  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:28:53 AM(UTC)
What I want to know is this, who can step up at returner? Special teams is your best way onto the 53.
beast  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:32:01 AM(UTC)
If one of the rookies and Jake show lots of promise, maybe they trade Randall Cobb to Raiders with a 2nd rounder for Khalil Mack :D
I've been thinking if 6 others WRs step up and Cobb keeps getting these little injuries, struggling though preseason, they might just release him to save 10 million in cap money. That's probably extremely unlikely, but just a thought I've had.

Very few people probably want that contract for right now.

What I want to know is this, who can step up at returner? Special teams is your best way onto the 53.
Well on the Packers current depth chart they have

Punt Returner
Trevor Davis, Jaire Alexander, Quinten Rollins, Tramon Williams

Kick Returner
Trevor Davis, Ty Montgomery, Jaire Alexander, CJ Johnson, J'Mon Moore

Though I'm guessing CJ Johnson is an error as he's a LB that's on the IR.
TheKanataThrilla  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:32:52 AM(UTC)

I was hoping that they would have Jaire Alexander at returner, but if he ends up starting at CB I am doubting that will happen as the health risk might be too large.

steveishere  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:31:17 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
I was hoping that they would have Jaire Alexander at returner, but if he ends up starting at CB I am doubting that will happen as the health risk might be too large.

yeah would rather have Davis or even Montgomery doing it, they are both dangerous enough. It's not like Alexander is prime Devin Hester or something.
Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:33:31 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
yeah would rather have Davis or even Montgomery doing it, they are both dangerous enough. It's not like Alexander is prime Devin Hester or something.

We don't know that he isn't. Rock On Rock On
warhawk  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:51:51 PM(UTC)

Except with Cobb's salary and injury/lack of production lately this would never happen. A first and Cobb wouldn't happen. Cobb simply hasn't shown he is worth anywhere near what he's paid.
He's just not trade bait.
Having said that I like his chances of a much better year with the old OC and Rodgers back. Hundley was never comfortable throwing to the middle of the field so last year wasn't all him. Besides, other than Adams he's the only wr they have that Rodgers has thrown the ball to more than 20-30 times to.

Let's not forget they don't have the luxury of working new guys in and getting familiar with one another to a large degree. They already have to transition Graham in there. They need to win 4 or 5 of their first six games or they are going to be in trouble. The middle of that schedule is brutal.

Bigbyfan  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 11:26:04 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post

I always hated the years when they put Woods on and/or Tramon back as returner. Those extra 5 yards was not worth losing our top corner due to injury... If memory serves me right, (it probably doesn't) I think both of them ended up getting dinged up on punt returns.

Let one of the backup receivers/corners/running backs handle return duties.
yooperfan  
#18 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 1:20:26 AM(UTC)
After seeing the game last night, I really want Kumerow to make this team.
I'd love to see what this kid can do with Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball.
nerdmann  
#19 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 5:29:43 AM(UTC)
Bigbyfan said: Go to Quoted Post
I always hated the years when they put Woods on and/or Tramon back as returner. Those extra 5 yards was not worth losing our top corner due to injury... If memory serves me right, (it probably doesn't) I think both of them ended up getting dinged up on punt returns.

Let one of the backup receivers/corners/running backs handle return duties.

Monty was collegiate all american as a punt returner, iirc.
beast  
#20 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 6:04:53 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Monty was collegiate all american as a punt returner, iirc.

If I remember correctly, Monty bobbled and dropped a few of the catches and then would second grab it and have a large return. He had good returns but struggled catching the punt cleanly and imminently securing it.

I believe there was play of Monty dropping a punt and DB Randall scooped it up as a ST Gunner.

Rss Feed