wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

Green Bay’s 2018 third round pick may be the answer to the Packers’ coverage linebacker problem The Green Bay Packers came into 2018 with a solid starting defensive front seven. Blake Martinez  has quickly ascended the inside linebacker ranks, Jake Ryan  has been more than serviceable, the defensive line is stacked, and although the outside linebacker corps is thin, Clay Matthews  and Nick Perry  are nothing to sneeze at. Once Ryan  went down in practice with an ACL tear, however, the depth of the was already being questioned.
Fortunately for the Packers , 2018 third round pick Oren Burks  may be the answer. Let’s see how he did in his first game in Green and Gold, last Thursday’s preseason opener against the Tennessee Titans.
The Good
Green Bay has been struggling to find a competent coverage linebacker to play the “Will” position over the past several years, with safety Morgan Burnett  finding the most success in that position last year. Martinez  has been improving quickly in that area, but as the strongside ILB, that’s not his primary function. There’s only one Luke Kuechly in this world after all. The book on Burks  — a converted safety — was that he has the athleticism and coverage experience to be just what the Packers were missing. That athleticism was on full display against the Titans .
In this first clip, Burks gives up a completion to running back Arkum Wadley on 3rd down. Wadley runs a sting route, coming in a straight line out of the backfield heading for the sideline, and looking back over his outside shoulder towards the quarterback. Blaine Gabbert  hits Wadley in stride and Wadley has a few yards of separation from Burks — who is in man coverage — but Burks closes the gap quickly, keeping Wadley short of the sticks.

Burks’ athleticism allows him to play down and distance and not over-commit but instead limit Wadley to a short gain and force fourth down.
On the very next play, Gabbert throws to Wadley again, with Burks in coverage. This time Wadley runs a quick flat route; he comes out of the backfield off the left tackle, runs upfield a yard or two, and then breaks out toward the sideline. The threat of Wadley breaking inside on an angle route means Burks can’t commit to one side or the other, leaving him in a tough spot. As Wadley cuts outside, Burks is on his toes and able to get a good push forward, closing the gap between himself and Wadley.

Wadley makes the catch anyway, but Burks again limits the catch to minimal yardage. These types of plays have given the Packers defense, and their fans, more heartburn than a glass of orange juice after a bowl of spicy chili. Repeatedly, running backs have abused the Green Bay linebackers in space and picked up easy yardage. Don’t focus on results of this play, the fact that it picked up the first down; focus on the process, and you’ll see that Burks had decent footwork and closing speed, he just needed to press up a few yards closer to the line of scrimmage.
Burks’ athleticism isn’t only good for pass coverage; it also gives him good sideline range as a weak-side linebacker defending the run. In the third quarter, Tennessee runs a toss play to the weak side of the field — Oren’s direction. He diagnoses the play quickly, smartly uses his hands to knockdown and shed the cut block, takes an inside-out angle on the runner, breaks down and makes the tackle.

This type of play gets me more excited than it should. There’s so much for Burks to do here; while tosses are easy to recognize, they are also easy to over pursue, leaving a cutback lane. He doesn’t. Burks could’ve easily gotten chopped by the lineman. He doesn’t. He could have come in too high and fast on the tackle and missed. He doesn’t. This is an excellent play for the young linebacker that showcases multiple areas of positivity.
A knock on Burks, [URL=https://go.redirectingat.com?id=66960X1516590&xs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fprospects%2Foren-burks%3Fid%3D32462018-0002-5601-419e-39862d10c2d8" rel="nofollow noopener" target="_blank]according to Lance Zierlein[/URL], was that his instincts at LB were “average”. As a rookie in the NFL, there are absolutely going to be some plays where Burks is going to make you scream at your television in anger; that happens. I have found myself screaming at the linebacking corps over and over again trying to get them to recognize the screen pass to no avail. The Packers were awful at defending the screen  last year. Against the Titans, however, Burks answered my screams.

He diagnosed the play, stayed in good positioning, and blew past the screening linemen to make the stop as soon as Wadley caught the ball. Ahh, sweet relief.
The Not So Good
Of course not everything is coming up roses for the rookie linebacker. The extended playing time — more snaps than any other defender  — meant Burks was going to get exposed on occasion. This is to be expected. What also is to be expected is that Burks will be swallowed by linemen on run plays, especially plays to his side. When you describe a linebacker as ‘athletic’, or ‘rangy’, this typically means ‘small’. Smaller linebackers, obviously, are more susceptible to get swallowed up in the wash.
Late in the second quarter, Tennessee runs a zone play off their right side guard. The OLB on the play, Chris Odom , makes a great play by getting his hands underneath his blocker and extending his arms, reading the running back, staying parallel to the LOS, and shedding the block. He did so well his blocker was forced to hold him.
Burks, meanwhile, extended his arms too early and absorbed the block of the oncoming guard rather than delivering the punch himself. This allowed the blocker to gain control and drive Burks back. Oren did rip through the hands of the guard to free himself, but at this point, the running back has gained five yards before Burks gets close. I like to call this one the A.J. Hawk  special.

While Hawk amassed 628 tackles over 9 years in Green Bay, his reputation was that the majority of those tackles were made 5 or more yards downfield. Good for your box score, bad for the team.
The elite-athleticism-for-a-linebacker, combined with a rookie awareness level, also makes Burks susceptible to over pursuit. As the weak inside linebacker, the duties are to take an inside-out approach to pursuit of a ball-carrier, as you should receive outside support from the OLB, CB or perhaps a safety. The only time you should scrape over the top is on toss plays away, where the RB is heading straight for the sideline.
In the first quarter against the Titans, the Tennessee offense ran a zone play to their strongside, away from Burks. Oren begins the play correctly, attacking downhill and to his left, maintaining gap responsibility. Montravius Adams  disrupts Wadley’s run early by avoiding the cut block (s/o to Montravius, nicely done) which makes Wadley cut the run back to the space Adams  had just vacated. At the same time, Burks goes over the top of his blocker, also vacating a similar space. Compounding the issue is Kyler Fackrell  getting handled (surprise surprise) and losing outside contain. This leaves the cutback lane wide open for Wadley, and he picks up a good chunk of yardage.

Adams should have made the tackle. Burks should have been there. Fackrell  should have maintained outside contain. This play was a trio of errors, but the point here is that Burks, due to his smaller stature, will have to avoid blockers or gain some functional strength before he can take on a blocker directly and expect to win. Linebackers are not matadors goading lumbering linemen into lunging at them and jumping out of the way at the last second; as soon as you commit to going around a block one way or the other, you’ve instantly created a running lane, and that’s what we saw here.

Overall, Burks had a very successful evening in the preseason opener. Not only was he was quick to the ball and active in support - he led the team in tackles with a combined total of 6 - but he showed off  his versatility  and play recognition, traits that he will need to continue to develop throughout the year in order for the defense to thrive.

Continue Reading @ Bob Fitch 

Bob Fitch wrote:

He's a rookie so he will make some plays and make some mistakes too. Let's hope this mistakes are few and far between.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
Go to the website to watch the videos.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago

He's a rookie so he will make some plays and make some mistakes too. Let's hope this mistakes are few and far between.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I feel like he looks like a Safety. Which is great for movement but he's physical engagement needs work... and some of those sideline tackles looked poor... but hey for a rookie he looks good overall.

And from the videos I've seen, the Titans OGs sure screwed up a lot of times when they got the chances to hit our coverage ILBers... it's weird but I'm kinda glad to see I got to see how Burks handle an OG take him on purposely in one of those videos.

I think another interesting story might be, how many ILBers do they keep (Pettine has normally kept less OLB and more DL and ILB than the Packers normally have) and the battle for the other ILBers spots. Mainly Thomas and Martini. Thomas is sorta like Burks, former Safety that's moved to ILB, he looked more willing/able to hit than Burks, but might not be as athletic. Martini might be the best run defender and best instincts of the bunch that I've seen so far, but he might be the least athletic if he's forced into one on ones.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
wpr (5m) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (8m) : *game plan
Martha Careful (39m) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (3h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.