Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
During these fly-overs and other festivities, football fans everywhere cheer and wax their little patriotic chubbies and feign support for the sacrifices of our Boys and Girls and their families…then today another 24 of our Boys and Girls that are or have served will end their lives and 99.999% of these celebrating assholes won’t give it a god damn thought.

Anyone that cheered or gets off on the rah rah nationalistic power of our military is not at all thinking of the 168 Boys and Girls that will take their own lives in the next 7 days; or about how hundreds more will feel when they get the news that a mate they shared a fox hole with just blew his effing brains out or took out a restaurant full of people before doing so.

So many assholes celebrate and may even say to our uniformed boys and girls they see on the street, “thank you for your service;” but don’t stop to think about what they purport to fight for. Respect for all Americans, faithfulness to US and International Law, the peaceful transition of power and supporting the institutions that perpetuate America.

Right now, we are involved in over 70 conflicts where bullets are flying around the heads of our troops; and in most of these conflicts the People of those nations don’t want us there. We are there to support interests of amoral regimes and/or Chiquita Banana or BP oil. So much of our military spending is dedicated to killing civilians, creating refugees, while at the same time killing, maiming and/or destroying the mental health of our most servant-oriented youth. We spend money on flyovers; one orange asshole wants a military parade; and they keep building planes and tanks like the F-22 in a way where only half can fly at $150M each plus zillions in maintenance; yet our Vets have to wait months/years for treatment and/or get answering machines on suicide hotlines.

Then our best youth, often guilt-ridden over what they did or didn’t do, depressed over leaving their comrades behind arrive to culture of political and racial hate. Much of their mental health could be restored if they had a job that an adult can be proud of. A job that pays a true living wage like a union electrician in Chicago once did. One where he can work 40 hours, take pride in what he is building and make enough to keep his family comfortable and send his kids to college. And be insulated from the stigma an employer might attach to his seeking mental treatment for their PTS.

Where’s is the outrage over the US illegally sending our boys and girls to the southern border; to put them into a position of firing on refuges that are throwing rocks; refugees that our military industrial complex created. So many racist xenophobic fucks, desperate that the US don’t turn Brown, don’t give a shit if 24 of those troops per day end up ending their lives. Because it is about what they want; it’s about them satiating their Nationalistic hate. These Fucks are the ones that cheer loudest on Veterans Day; you’ll never find a tear in their eye; because they don’t give a shit about our serving boys and girls or respect that for which they fight.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
BF,

This may shock you, but I agree with a lot of what you say. We stick our noses is in way too many places internationally, and it is the best and the brightest to pay for it, many times to advance our business interests more than our moral or national security interests.

I am for compulsory national service. If you want to serve in the military, it’s two years. If you don’t want to serve in the military, it’s four years. And that way, people wouldn’t be so eager to send their kids, nephews, nieces, and their friends kids to the stupid wars.

That notwithstanding, our country is done to help more people than the rest of the countries in the history of the planet. Our military has helped free millions of people, including during World War I and World War II. And for those reasons, I wish those who served a happy Veterans Day and I’m very appreciative for their service, irrespective of whether or not they served and complex we believe to be worthwhile.

In the spirit of the holiday I’m going to leave it at that, because we disagree about the many other things.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
I liked what FOX did. The history stuff and stories were great.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
Barf, I for one do thank those that have served in our military when I see a vet that wears a hat or coat that states that they did serve. Does that make me an asshole? If that’s what you think, so be it.
What should I do? Ignore them?
As was already stated, our country has helped liberate so many people who would have suffered had we not gone there. Are we perfect? No. But the way you talk, we should just turn our collective backs and ignore it all.
There are too many evil people in today’s world. From Hitler, Pot, Hussein, Bin Laden, North Korea’s leader, and so on. Had we not stepped in, you think these horrible people would mind their own business and not try to take over the world?
Have these animals not killed anyone that gets in their way? Would they stop by themselves without someone standing up to them?
No, better to attack our military then the actual “assholes”.
You are consistent, that’s for sure.

I do understand that war is horrible. I’m NOT a “war monger”. But to ignore the horrible things that are happening in the world is not the answer. That won’t make them go away.
Also, is protecting our borders fro people entering illegally such a bad thing? Yeah, just let people to ignore our laws. That’s the answer, hey? How has that worked out so far? Ask the Americans that live in the border states that actually have to deal with it how they feel.
I appreciate what our veterans and those serving now are going through.
I don’t ignore their sacrifices. That’s why I appreciate and thank them when ever I can.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
Until someone has gotten a call at 3:17 am from their son who is in a combat zone, they have no idea of what they are talking about. Platitudes are meaningless.

I guarantee you when you hear, "Um, Dad? First of all, I was injured but I am going to be ok." you will not have any trouble waking up.

I have talked about it a few times on this site so for those of you who have heard this before I apologize.

My son is a purple heart recipient from a suicide car bomb.

Before his service I thought Veteran's Day was a good thing. It's such a small thing to take one lousy day out of the year and tell the men and women who have served that we realize that they did something others have not done.

Today I understand much more about the sacrifice these men and women have made in addition to the sacrifice their families have made. While it is not easy on parents, it is so much harder on the spouses and children. My son served in the local guard unit. Every week or two we saw the toll it took on family members. We organized groups to mow yards or shovel the snow. Among so many other things.

While I missed my son it is no where near what the women in our group were going through. Or how about a 2 year old? That's old enough to know you have a Dad but not old enough to understand why he isn't here for your birthday. It's not old enough to know why Mommy is crying all the time. Skype or whatever helps. It wasn't very good when my son was overseas. No matter how good video is, there is no hug, no kiss, no physical contact that every human deserves.

Barny is still looking to pick a fight and I don't really care what his is saying. To me it isn't worth my time.

The truth is today I understand the meaning of THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE so much more than I did 10 years ago.

It is interesting that my son told me young servicemen don't care for it. (Viet Nam vets appreciate it. because they didn't get it when they returned.) They think it's somewhat phony. People don't know what to say so that's the go to response for many. When one young serviceman very politely and sincerely suggested to my wife that others may think less of her for saying it, she explained why she had earned that right. He agreed with her that she does have the right. I always begin by stating my son told me that some people don't like it and I understand why. It takes longer but I show them it's not like someone mumbling the rosary or walking through the receiving line at a visitation. I have never had anyone complain. My suggestion to those who want to thank a service man/woman take 10-15 extra seconds to qualify what you are saying. It will seem to be more heartfelt.

Since my son values Veteran's Day, I will too. There is so much of what the army and politicians do that is wrong. No matter how wrong they are, it has nothing to do with honoring those who served. I don't care if they were in combat like my son, those who stayed safely inside the wire like most, or those who are fortunate enough to never leave our shores. It doesn't matter. They all have earned the right to have people show a little appreciation for their sacrifice and effort.

All the flyovers, flag waving and commercials are just a by product. That's not where our focus needs to be.

Of course I yield to NSD and his opinion.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
My opinion? It's a waste of emotional energy to hate any holiday, but it's really fucking pointless to hate a holiday when no one on the face of this planet gives two shits whether you celebrate it or not. This isn't Christmas or Thanksgiving.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
5 years ago
I have had so many relatives that have been seriously wounded in wars From WW2 and on. I have listened to what they went through, the horrors.
When I thank vets, I try to make it a conversation when possible. Not just “mumbling”, but really trying to let them know they ARE appreciated.
Others can have their opinions. It’s a free country.
I choose to try to let those that served know that at least one guy cares. And really means it.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Good stories shared in this one.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
2 years ago
Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I thank ALL who have served and like my old friend Cheesey, I mean that!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Around The NFL / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.